IRELAND 6 NATIONS SQUAD 2014

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

All Blacks nil
Mullet

IRELAND 6 NATIONS SQUAD 2014

Post by All Blacks nil »

Things are falling nicely into place for Joe with many of the walking wounded making Lazarus like comebacks at the weekend and a number of frontline players putting in stellar performances.

On the injury front Best and Murray both started for their provinces and came through with decent performances. Healy was a surprise return but showed little ill effects from his time out. Zebo also came back as a late sub for Munster and also played his part without ever really getting into the game.

Kearney was excellent for Leinster, POC and POM likewise for Munster. While not the number 1 outhalf Jackson's display for Ulster should go a long way towards copper fastening his place in the match day 23. Gopperth's performance and the likelihood of it preventing Madigan from getting serious game time at outhalf will also be in his favour. Speaking of outhalves all 4 provincial outhalves had excellent performances with Keatly, Gopperth and Jackson all providing game changing moments and Carty backing up a decent display here with a fine HC debut.

3 weeks out from the opening game guys are finding form, injured players are mostly returning and competition for places in most positions rages on. Looking forward to Joe's announcement tomorrow.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: IRELAND 6 NATIONS SQUAD 2014

Post by goreyguy »

My Squad

Props:
Healy
McGrath
Ross
Fitzpatrick
Moore

Locks
POC
Toner
McCarthy
Touhy

Backrow
Heaslip
POM
Henry
TOD
Henderson

SH
Murray
Reddan

OH
Sexton
Jackson

Centre
BOD
Darcy
Marshall
Henshaw

Back Three
Kearney
Fitzgerald
Earls
Kearney

Bowe + McFadden both still injured
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't wait to see who Joe picks for each game.

I can see him leaving Ryan and Bowe out of the first couple of games and then giving us a boost midway through it. Have no idea what he'll do at 12. Will he use Henshaw at all? Who starts on the wings and who's 23? Will POM, Henry and Heaslip start every game if fit or will Ruddock and TOD get a shot? Will he include Moore and if so will he get any starts? Will Marmion be in it? He definitely deserves to be but whether he's involved in any 23 is a different question.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

goreyguy wrote:My Squad

Props:
Healy
McGrath
Ross
Fitzpatrick
Moore

Locks
POC
Toner
McCarthy
Touhy

Backrow
Heaslip
POM
Henry
TOD
Henderson

SH
Murray
Reddan

OH
Sexton
Jackson

Centre
BOD
Darcy
Marshall
Henshaw

Back Three
Kearney
Fitzgerald
Earls
Kearney

Bowe + McFadden both still injured
I have a nagging suspicion that Joe might pick a couple of hookers :-)

Zebo for DK and not sure if Tuohy will make the cut
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

As it is a prelim squad he will surely pick 6 props I.e 3 loose heads and 3 tightheads. Archer or who ever is the 3rd choice Leinster tight head would be my candidates.
I imagine he will also include 3 scrumhalves and 3 outhalves. Boss will be the third Scrumhalf. The third outhalf will be an interesting call. On form anyone but Madigan but then again
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

All Blacks nil wrote:As it is a prelim squad he will surely pick 6 props I.e 3 loose heads and 3 tightheads. Archer or who ever is the 3rd choice Leinster tight head would be my candidates.
I imagine he will also include 3 scrumhalves and 3 outhalves. Boss will be the third Scrumhalf. The third outhalf will be an interesting call. On form anyone but Madigan but then again
Ah ffs. We'll have no one left to play in the Rabo. :) All our props are IQ. Is 4 props not enough to be supplying to the national team?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Archer is well ahead of Furlong/Bent at tighthead anyway so we're okay there. Would hope a young scrumhalf gets the nod. Think Jackson is second choice. Don't think Keatley's form is such that he can consider himself a shoo in for the third spot so I'd guess it will be Madigan again.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

enby wrote: I have a nagging suspicion that Joe might pick a couple of hookers :-)

Agreed on both of those.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:As it is a prelim squad he will surely pick 6 props I.e 3 loose heads and 3 tightheads. Archer or who ever is the 3rd choice Leinster tight head would be my candidates.
Ah ffs. We'll have no one left to play in the Rabo. :) All our props are IQ. Is 4 props not enough to be supplying to the national team?
Don't worry about that. We don't have a candidate worth robbing in the short term. Fitzpatrick should be considered enough of an option to decide in camp whether he makes the 23. Beyond that, desperate times would call for Jamie Hagan (or John Andress), so we're safe.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:
enby wrote: I have a nagging suspicion that Joe might pick a couple of hookers :-)

Agreed on both of those.
There's a big question mark around the wings at the moment. I think Bowe would have to play this week to be in contention given his pre injury form, the time he's been out, and the competition around.

I'd have Luke on the left wing and the big question as regards the right wing for me is, who would you want marking George North in the second game? If its not Bowe then I'd rather have DK than Earls or Gilroy. Don't think Trimble comes into the equation.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Would definitely include Marmion if three SH to be named. Not convinced Henshaw has done enough at 13 yet to be there on merit, but could be worth doing so for experience. Best, Cronin and Strauss as hookers and include Zebo and Dave K and McFadden. If Squad in enlarged to 30, he could bring in Dave Foley for experience - best sub-26 second-row to emerge, assuming Henderson considered as No 6
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Would definitely include Marmion if three SH to be named. Not convinced Henshaw has done enough at 13 yet to be there on merit, but could be worth doing so for experience. Best, Cronin and Strauss as hookers and include Zebo and Dave K and McFadden. If Squad in enlarged to 30, he could bring in Dave Foley for experience - best sub-26 second-row to emerge, assuming Henderson considered as No 6
Fairly certain that Strauss is out for the season. He'd have little to no rugby under his belt when the squad is announced so even if he makes a miraculous recovery I don't think he'll be in with a shout. With Sherry out as well that brings Varley into the squad I think
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I have a feeling Murphy will make the panel for versatility and ball carrying
maybe Ruddock too if new mgmt see Henderson as a lock which i suspect they might
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

As far as I know joe will select an extended panel tomorrow and obviously announcing his 23 match day squad as required.

Given that he would require 2 players in each position and 3 in some (LH, Hooker, TH , SH,OH ) I predict the following. Not necessarily what I would pick but what I think JS will pick

FB
R Kearney
R Henshaw ( obviously might be considered at centre as well)

L Fitz
D Kearney
K Earls
S Zebo

G D'arcy
L Marshall
B O 'Driscoll
D Cave

J Sexton
P Jackson
I Madigan

C Murray
E Reddan
I. Boss ( my pick Marmion)

C Healy
J McGrath
D Kilcoyne
M Ross
M Moore (my pick Archer)
D Fitzpatrick

R Best
S Cronin
D Varley

P O'Connell
D Toner
M McCarthy
D Ryan ( Tuohy if unavailable)

D Heaslip
J Murphy
P O'Mahoney
C Henry
T O 'Donnell
K Mc Loughlin

Not considered
T Bowe, S O'Brien, R Strauss F McFadden

Personally I hope Marmion is picked. I argued that his non selection in the Autumn squad was a missed opportunity for both Marmion and Joe. 4 weeks scrutiny of and experience for Marmion would be invaluable now and his non selection was a staggering decision considering the age profile of the 2 back up scrumhalves he picked for the Series
Madigan has had a terrible time and Jackson probably has the the number 22 jersey sewn up. Keatly's decent performance at the weekend was timely , but needed to have a draft of those type of games to displace Madigan.
Archer and the Munster scrum have been excellent all season and his display v Ulster was exceptional. However Fitzpatrick was probably Ireland' s best replacement V NZ and deserves his place. Archer also deserves his place although I feel JS will go with Moore
Jordi Murphy deserves a place and should keep JH on his toes. The only reservation I would have is that he is not an open side. As well as he played yesterday when Jennings came on his role changed and he got to play a more familiar role
Last edited by All Blacks nil on January 13th, 2014, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

If fit Fitzpatrick is surely the second choice tighthead. I'd worry more about the first choice these days to be honest.
I don't think Keatley has displaced Madigan: firstly the reaction to his game in Connacht was hysterical, secondly Keatley was playing pretty badly too. It's a real pity Hanrahan hasn't been playing as he would have had a shot at the 6N squad.
I don't think Locky will make the squad this time: been out of action until the weekend and hasn't impressed.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

All Blacks nil wrote:Not considered
T Bowe, S O'Brien, R Strauss F McFadden

Personally I hope Marmion is picked. I argued that his non selection in the Autumn squad was a missed opportunity for both Marmion and Joe. 4 weeks scrutiny of and experience for Marmion would be invaluable now and his non selection was a staggering decision considering the age profile of the 2 back up scrumhalves he picked for the Series
Madigan has had a terrible time and Jackson probably has the the number 22 jersey sewn up. Keatly's decent performance at the weekend was timely , but needed to have a draft of those type of games to displace Madigan.
Archer and the Munster scrum have been excellent all season and his display v Ulster was exceptional. However Fitzpatrick was probably Ireland' s best replacement V NZ and deserves his place. Archer also deserves his place although I feel JS will go with Moore
Jordi Murphy deserves a place and should keep JH on his toes. The only reservation I would have is that he is not an open side. As well as he played yesterday when Jennings came on his role changed and he got to play a more familiar role
Terrible? He's been up and down at worst. Still a better bench option than Jackson too who still isn't the kicker at Ulster. Though he did seem to have improved earlier in the season Pienaar is the go to man in the big games.

Re Marmion. I've had this arguement with Golfman. He was 4th choice SH. He was never gonna get a look in given the inexperienced players we had playing at 10, 12 and 13. Leaving aside the injury crisis in the back 3. A selection of Murray/Marmion, Jackson/Madigan, Marshall, Henshaw at 9 10 12 13 would have been derided as "Jokeshop", but more importantly would have been hugely inexperienced(Coopers try against Madigan & Marshall) and lacking in leadership. My point being it's not a missed opportunity to pick him if you're not going to pick him to begin with. Reddan & Boss might be getting old but the areas we needed to blood players were centre and OH and we did. They'll do for a year anyway. I hope at the least he gets a chance for the wolfhounds but it won't be a disaster if he doesn't get a chance in the 6N. Schmidt has limited time with the players and he was and still is trying to get his way of doing things bedded in. He didn't have time to tutor a rookie 9 and won't have much come the 6N.

The Munster scrum has been up and down, given the troubles you've had there recently I think the highs have probably gone to your head.
Moore has more game time
507 Pro12(8+4) + 186 HEC1+5) = 693 Total
than Archer
455 pro12(6+4) + 140(1+5) = 595 Total
They're both 2nd choice THs and Moore has probably got more game time due to injury(Ospreys HEC game stands out) and player management. While I think Archer offers a lot around the pitch and he's definitely improved in the scrum(starting from a low base) other than being around longer than Moore I don't think he's done a whole lot to "deserve his place" ahead of Moore.

Heaslip has for the most part been good this season, like most players 1 or 2 poor/indifferent performances . I don't think Murphy has played or done enough this season to get into the squad. I'd have Ruddock ahead of him tbh. I think Henry will come into the 15 for SOB. Some exciting bench options for the backrow spot in Henderson, TOD and Ruddock.

Also I think McFadden is back in training and from what I remember Ryan is due back soon (his injury was 12 weeks from Nov) but he'll(like McFadden) need game time with Munster to get into the squad. So the start of the 6N might be too early for both.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Props -
Healy/McGrath/Kilcoyne - Cronin in A team
Ross/Fitzpatrick/Archer - I agree that he may well go with Moore as third choice - if he does fair enough - I would imagine the reason that Moore has more gametime could well be down to the Autumn Internationals - Archer was in that squad, Moore wasn't. He is going to become a very very important player for us, but think he might be better off playing Rabo than third choice for the 6N - can see him leapfrogging them all when Ross goes, which could well be soon

Hookers
Best/Cronin/Varley - no real options here, lucky that Best is back

Lock
POC/Toner/Ryan/McCarthy/Tuohy - he may not pick Tuohy, he should. I think Ryan will be in teh squad but maybe not start the first couple

Back Row
POM/Henderson/TOD/Murphy/Henry/Heaslip - don't think he'll go with McL - a Schmidt favourite but has not been in form and been injured - doesn't derve to be in there tbh, with teh competition that there. Ruddock may be picked as well

Scrum Half
Murray/Reddan/Marmion - he has to pick Marmion, Reddan has been better than Boss and gives us good bench option

Outhalf
Sexton/Jackson/Madigan - too early for JJ and Keatley hasn't been quite good enough. How he treats Jackson is key I think. Yes there are doubts about teh kicking but there is no doubt he is far far better than Madigan at the moment - theres an arguement that he is better than Sexton at the moment as well. I think he has to put Jackson on the bench - we have plenty of flexibility particuraly with the wingers to cover all eventualities

Centres
Marshall/Darcy/BOD/Henshaw - have to give Henshaw a proper run at some stage. Hope that Marshall gets a proper run as well - we are only 18 months from a WC where BOD won't be there and Darcy may not

Back 3
R Kearney/Fitz/Earls/Bowe/McFadden -Bowe may not be picked straight away but could come in during teh 6N. McFadden has been injured but will be in the squad definitely. Possibly harsh on Dave Kearney, but there is huge competition. Maybe too early for Zebo and Gilroy I think is injured. Unlikely to revert to Trimble at this stage

Thats 35, which may actually be a couple too many

Big opportunity for the back row players - winger competition is unbelievable - Zebo, Earls, Fitz, McFadden, Kearney, Gilroy, Bowe - you can easily make an arguement for all of them tbh
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Looking at how JS acted in the AI's and from what we know about him from Leinster days - I think there will be a change in the way the squad is managed from what people are used to. I think Joe will take a total view of the 6N comp and it is likely you see some players rleased from the squad for a game with a view to playing in a game later on - likewise I think he will rotate the 23. We saw it in AI's where he had obviously targetted the NZ game. I think the same will happen.

I'm waiting for the torrent of posts wondering why "XX" has been dropped he did nothign wrong etc etc - especially from those less used to his rotation (looking at you MF.com).
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The Doc wrote:Looking at how JS acted in the AI's and from what we know about him from Leinster days - I think there will be a change in the way the squad is managed from what people are used to. I think Joe will take a total view of the 6N comp and it is likely you see some players rleased from the squad for a game with a view to playing in a game later on - likewise I think he will rotate the 23. We saw it in AI's where he had obviously targetted the NZ game. I think the same will happen.

I'm waiting for the torrent of posts wondering why "XX" has been dropped he did nothign wrong etc etc - especially from those less used to his rotation (looking at you MF.com).
Very Good point.
Joe doesn't drop players. He absolutely believes in squad rotation.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

The Doc wrote:I'm waiting for the torrent of posts wondering why "XX" has been dropped he did nothign wrong etc etc - especially from those less used to his rotation (looking at you Irish media).
Fixed that for you.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!