6 Nations Prediction

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: 6 Nations Prediction

Post by desperado »

i find it mildly ironic Gatty played Warb (clearly not at his best for whatever reason) vs Tipuric.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Taking a lateral view of Gatty as a coach.
He has coached a decent team well against other decent teams with shyte coaches.
Conclusion Gatty is a good coach (his team won things) but maybe not as good as we thought given the dross coaches he was up against.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

desperado wrote:i find it mildly ironic Gatty played Warb (clearly not at his best for whatever reason) vs Tipuric.
He'd have got away with it last year against a poorly coached team.
He just didn't take enough account of the Joe factor.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
desperado wrote:i find it mildly ironic Gatty played Warb (clearly not at his best for whatever reason) vs Tipuric.
me thinks Gatty has been found out through massive loss of luck, mounting injuries :oops: , and 6 nations opposition getting their act together
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
me thinks Gatty has been found out through massive loss of luck, mounting injuries :oops: , and 6 nations opposition getting their act together
Hold on, that excuse sounds familiar... I'm sure I heard it somewhere before...
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

yeah, led to Napoleons exile in Elba
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Oldschool wrote:Taking a lateral view of Gatty as a coach.
He has coached a decent team well against other decent teams with shyte coaches.
Conclusion Gatty is a good coach (his team won things) but maybe not as good as we thought given the dross coaches he was up against.

he's been up against dross coaches in a lot of different competitions for a long time then,

aviva winner, hc winner, amlin winner, air nz cup winner , gs winner x 2, lions test series winner

thats not a bad cv is it?

People many not like his style of rugby or even like him as a person but he has a terrific coaching career and his record speaks for himself
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

So much for Gatland "being found out": yet again he outcoached, and his team comprehensively outplayed the opposition. Wales are in the hunt for yet another championship.

The truth about Wales is that, like us most of the time, they are two or three injuries away from not being in contention. Jenkins and Warburton were fit last night, and either or both were man of the match for me. We are a little less reliant on a couple of players than we used to be, have a little more depth in some spots than we have traditionally, but are probably short a few backs to really challenge at the top end right now.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote:So much for Gatland "being found out": yet again he outcoached, and his team comprehensively outplayed the opposition. Wales are in the hunt for yet another championship.

The truth about Wales is that, like us most of the time, they are two or three injuries away from not being in contention. Jenkins and Warburton were fit last night, and either or both were man of the match for me. We are a little less reliant on a couple of players than we used to be, have a little more depth in some spots than we have traditionally, but are probably short a few backs to really challenge at the top end right now.
Credit to Wales for putting such a big score on France, but outcoaching PSA is to rugby what the Sugarloaf is to mountaineering.!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

paddyor wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:So much for Gatland "being found out": yet again he outcoached, and his team comprehensively outplayed the opposition. Wales are in the hunt for yet another championship.

Credit to Wales for putting such a big score on France, but outcoaching PSA is to rugby what the Sugarloaf is to mountaineering.!
True. But I still think the critical issue with Wales is the number of top players. Just as it has been with us.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

warburton was terrific friday

How bad are the french half backs?
finchamdl
Learner

Post by finchamdl »

Getting back to the original subject of the thread, I would put us as still marginal favorites for the championship ahead of england given the way that France played against Wales and our vastly superior points difference. Also, the fact that we have Italy at home and England have them away makes me think that we would probably put more points on them than England do (assuming we both beat Italy). However, I know that France will be an entirely different proposition in Paris than they are away from home so I'm certainly not counting any chickens on that game yet. IMO Wales and France to far behind on points difference now to be in with a realistic chance as I think either us or England will win our next two games.
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

finchamdl wrote:Getting back to the original subject of the thread, I would put us as still marginal favorites for the championship ahead of england given the way that France played against Wales and our vastly superior points difference. Also, the fact that we have Italy at home and England have them away makes me think that we would probably put more points on them than England do (assuming we both beat Italy). However, I know that France will be an entirely different proposition in Paris than they are away from home so I'm certainly not counting any chickens on that game yet. IMO Wales and France to far behind on points difference now to be in with a realistic chance as I think either us or England will win our next two games.
It's hard to see France winning as the winner of England v Wales will probably finish ahead of them on points difference, no matter what happens. I disagree on Wales, they're still in with a huge shout if they win in Twickenham - after that it's Scotland to come at home and if they win by a decent margin then they'll be top if we don't win in Paris (and assuming we don't get stuffed and/or France don't beat Scotland by miles).

If we win both games then we should be top. If we don't then I think the winner of England v Wales will probably win the title. France second at best.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Great weekend for the superbru score guessing game. I went 1/3 (had Wales over France by 7) but it was kinda funny (if you can take any enjoyment from an Ireland loss) seeing so many people lose all three games. Have a small pool going here. One of the boys was ranked #3 in Asia until it all fell apart.

You'd think that Ireland v Italy, Italy v England and Wales v Scotland will be mere formalities.

Scotland v France could be an upset.

England v Wales and France v Ireland could go either way. You don't want to looking to make up ground with those 6 fixtures.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Ireland have to be favourites, you should rack up the points next fixture while the other games should be a lot tighter.

Winning in Paris is tough but certainly possible, your provinces winning in france game in game out so it's not like they will be terrified of the prospect.

England vs Wales could go either way imoo, if we get alun wyn jones and john davies back fit, I can see us doing it and I can see us pasting the scots at home with a fired up crowd behind us.

It's Ireland or Wales for the title imo
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

JB1973 wrote: Winning in Paris is tough but certainly possible, your provinces winning in france game in game out so it's not like they will be terrified of the prospect.

England vs Wales could go either way imoo, if we get alun wyn jones and john davies back fit, I can see us doing it and I can see us pasting the scots at home with a fired up crowd behind us.
I agree. I think we should be able to beat France if we perform. I think England vs Wales will be a lot tighter than some of the predictions we've seen here (a 15 point hammering will only happen if Wales completely flop, something I don't anticipate) and I'd say Wales have a decent chance. If I had to call it I'd probably say England, but I'd have also said that last year :)
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Prediction? I reckon we'll do it and I see a certain rightness if we do because I believe Ireland are the best team in the competition this year, not by a whole lot, but the best team nonetheless. Yes we lost in Twickenham but there's a huge nationwide sigh of relief across England and they won't look forward to coming to Dublin next year.

Wales, simply by the cyclical nature of things and the tendency for players to age, are no longer at the top of the pile and I haven't seen anything from them in the competition so far that makes me think they'll win against England.

If there is any justice in the world we'll win the championship and England should rightly pick up some silverware with a triple crown.

Ireland 1st - England 2nd (triple crown) - Wales 3rd - France 4th - Scotland 5th - Italy wooden spoon.

I'm not a betting man but I'd be interested to hear what the odds are at the moment.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Lar wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:I think we have the depth in most areas to win this, the exception being Sexbomb, we can't afford to loose him.

We have the forwards to give us victoryin the first 15, on the bench and banging on the door for inclusion.

We have the best coach in the 6N (Stuart Lancaster comes a close second).

There is optimism, Joe is running a meritocracy, the players will respond to that soooooo...

Based on nothing but knowing how unpredictable life can be I think we'll lose to Wales at home. There'll be an autumn internationals Australia/All Blacks backlash and we'll bate England outa the place. Ireland will then squeak past Les Bleus to leave us in contention for the title,depending on other results.
Much as I admire Joe you rate him and Stuart Lancaster over a coach who has won a Lions Tour, two Grand Slams, and three Six Nations titles at international level, and three English Premiership Titles and one Heineken Cup at club level (just in the northern hemisphere)?

Or were you just casting a line and telling us you don't like Warren Gatland?
In an awful act of 'I told you so' I'll re quote my prediction as I'm feeling pretty smug this morning.

...but I'll admit I was worried there for a bit. :wink:
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

outcast eddie wrote:
Lar wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:I think we have the depth in most areas to win this, the exception being Sexbomb, we can't afford to loose him.

We have the forwards to give us victoryin the first 15, on the bench and banging on the door for inclusion.

There is optimism, Joe is running a meritocracy, the players will respond to that soooooo...

Based on nothing but knowing how unpredictable life can be I think we'll lose to Wales at home. There'll be an autumn internationals Australia/All Blacks backlash and we'll bate England outa the place. Ireland will then squeak past Les Bleus to leave us in contention for the title,depending on other results.
Much as I admire Joe you rate him and Stuart Lancaster over a coach who has won a Lions Tour, two Grand Slams, and three Six Nations titles at international level, and three English Premiership Titles and one Heineken Cup at club level (just in the northern hemisphere)?

In an awful act of 'I told you so' I'll re quote my prediction as I'm feeling pretty smug this morning.

Key question for you then.
How much did you take the booties for?
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

outcast eddie wrote:
Lar wrote:

I was going to come on here and gloat about having called Ireland winning the championship on points difference in the very first response to the OP but I did get England out of place in the order. Picking up my winnings from Paddy Power eased that blow though.

Kudos to simonno6 who got the correct order.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".