Summer tour to Argentina

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Summer tour to Argentina

Post by CiaranIrl »

Post 6 Nations, what Squad would people go with for the Argentina tour? I had a quick cut below. I'd personally leave out some of the older players and lads that have clocked up a lot of minutes recently between Lions etc. There is a world cop looming, so we need to be careful.

Risteard Ó Strabhas Hooker
Sean Cronin Hooker
Mike Sherry Hooker
Declan Fitzpatrick Prop (Will Nathan White be qualified?)
David Kilcoyne Prop
Jack MgGrath Prop
Martin Moore Prop
Stephen Archer Prop
Ian Henderson Lock
Devin Toner Lock
Donnacha Ryan Lock
Dan Tuohy Lock
Chris Henry Flanker
Rhys Ruddock Flanker
Peter O'Mahony Flanker
Tommy O'Donnell Flanker
Jordi Murphy No. 8
Jamie Heaslip No. 8 (Captain)
Kieran Marmion Scrum Half
Conor Murray Scrum Half
Paul Marshal Scrum-half
Ian Madigan Fly-half
Paddy Jackson Fly-half
JJ Hanrahan Fly Half
Darren Cave Centre
Robbie Henshaw Centre
Luke Marshall Center
Keith Earls Wing
Fergus McFadden Wing
Andrew Trimble Wing
Dave Kearney Wing/Full back
Rob Kearney Full back
Tommy Bowe Wing
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
outcast eddie
Mullet

Re: Summer tour to Argentina

Post by outcast eddie »

What about that guy, erm...whatissname...Zebo!
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

outcast eddie wrote:What about that guy, erm...whatissname...Zebo!
There's the three incumbents ahead of him and Bows and Earls to come in too. Don't think there will be room for him without injuries.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Re: Summer tour to Argentinas

Post by All Blacks nil »

I agree that any of the Lions tourists should not be asked to tour this summer, with a possible exception ( if considered good enough) of Zebo. Bowe should also go after his return from various injuries.

For that reason I would leave Murray at home and bring Reddan who will most likely still be number 2 Scrumhalf.

If Darcy is to be a possible first choice inside centre, surely he must travel with a view to forming a new centre partnership with AN OTHER. For that reason I would have thought Darcy will be the first name pencilled in the touring party
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

No point bringing along the first 15. The tour is a time to build up the world cup squad.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Would rest O'Connell, Sexton, Best, Ross, Healy, Heaslip, D'Arcy and maybe Murray
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Donny B. wrote:Would rest O'Connell, Sexton, Best, Ross, Healy, Heaslip, D'Arcy and maybe Murray
Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, depending on how he felt, wouldn't be a definite yep (had a full preseason), yep.

I suppose any first XV in H CUP and Rabo 1/2 finals (or better) + tests who have played a lot this year you could consider a Summer off.

I'd be looking at a strong Munster/Ulster/some Connacht and less compared to 6N squad Leinster contingent.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Morf wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Would rest O'Connell, Sexton, Best, Ross, Healy, Heaslip, D'Arcy and maybe Murray
Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, depending on how he felt, wouldn't be a definite yep (had a full preseason), yep.

I suppose any first XV in H CUP and Rabo 1/2 finals (or better) + tests who have played a lot this year you could consider a Summer off.

I'd be looking at a strong Munster/Ulster/some Connacht and less compared to 6N squad Leinster contingent.
Looking at a first XV of something like

RK
TB/ Trimble
Henshaw
Marshall or Olding (fitness permitting)
Gilroy/DK/Zebo
Jackson/Madigan
Reddan/ Marmion

McGrath
Strauss/Cronin
Moore
Ryan/Touhy
Toner
Ruddock
O'Donnell/Henry
Copeland/Murphy

Not too shabby in fairness
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote:
Morf wrote:

RK
TB/ Trimble
Henshaw
Gilroy/DK/Zebo
Jackson/Madigan
Reddan/ Marmion

McGrath
Strauss/Cronin
Moore
Ryan/Touhy
Toner
Ruddock
O'Donnell/Henry
Copeland/Murphy

Where does Lukey Fitz fit in all this?

Oh and just because no one else said it - what about Jamie Hagan?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Xanthippe wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Morf wrote:

RK
TB/ Trimble
Henshaw
Gilroy/DK/Zebo
Jackson/Madigan
Reddan/ Marmion

McGrath
Strauss/Cronin
Moore
Ryan/Touhy
Toner
Ruddock
O'Donnell/Henry
Copeland/Murphy

Where does Lukey Fitz fit in all this?

Oh and just because no one else said it - what about Jamie Hagan?
I always find myself forgetting Luke in an Ireland context cause he's so rarely available in an Ireland context.

As for Hagan, I know he's a fave of yours but his ship has sailed. More chance of Tadgh Furllong being on the tour I'd say
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Agree mostly but not sure about Murray. I would like to see him play a couple of games alongside Jackson (or whoever they have at 10).

I would also consider resting Rob Kearney for this tour too.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

When is Nathan White IQ?

Also - can a mod merge the two threads?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote:When is Nathan White IQ?

Also - can a mod merge the two threads?
He and Payne are good for the AIs.
I'd bring both of them to Argentina to get them used to the drills etc.
An afterthought Trimble at inside centre is an option.
Before the naysayers start, the self same naysayers were naysaying him as a winger no doubt.
If anyone can get Trimble up to speed at 12 it's Joe with Anscombe's help of course.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:
Agree mostly but not sure about Murray. I would like to see him play a couple of games alongside Jackson (or whoever they have at 10).

I would also consider resting Rob Kearney for this tour too.
He didn't have the most hectic Lions tour last summer so that's why I'd probably still bring him.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

A big Brendan O'Connor sized spanner in the mix is the first test is a week after the Rabo final so we could be looking at large 35 man party with no Munster or Leinster (starters) starting first test, no offence to our Ulster brethren, any province involved in a euro final AND rabo playoffs rules them out too

theoretically we could pitch up in Rosario with
Bowe, Gilroy, Henshaw, Cave, Trimble, Sexton, Marmion, McGrath, Best, Fitzpatrick, Touhy, Henderson, Penalty Try, Henry, Copeland
Cronin, Killer, Moore, POC, POM, Boss, Jackson, McFadden

Also going by post match quotes in Indo, Joe has hinted at more (possible) retirements from International rugby from senior players, beyond Boss and McCarthy I cant think of nay contenders
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

i'd bring James Hart
MadiganSquareGarden
Learner

Post by MadiganSquareGarden »

simonokeeffe wrote:Also going by post match quotes in Indo, Joe has hinted at more (possible) retirements from International rugby from senior players, beyond Boss and McCarthy I cant think of nay contenders
Four players I'd be concerned about come World Cup time would be Mike Ross, D'Arcy, Reddan and Boss who'll be 36 or 35 come September 2015. But I'd imagine each of them will keep going next season. Mike McCarthy's a bit younger and looks to have a bit of gas left in him.

I fully agree on bringing James Hart. With his dual nationality it would be a very smart move at this juncture and in any case Marmion and himself are probably worth looking at given the age profiles of Reddan and Boss. You'd have to think one of the younger players stands a good chance of making the squad for the RWC. Last year's Lions tourists ought to be rested along with fellas like the aforementioned quartet who were born in 1979 and 1980.

It's a shame Stuart Olding probably won't be seen before next season because he's got a serious chance of being a bolter one would think.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

MadiganSquareGarden wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Also going by post match quotes in Indo, Joe has hinted at more (possible) retirements from International rugby from senior players, beyond Boss and McCarthy I cant think of nay contenders
Four players I'd be concerned about come World Cup time would be Mike Ross, D'Arcy, Reddan and Boss who'll be 36 or 35 come September 2015. But I'd imagine each of them will keep going next season. Mike McCarthy's a bit younger and looks to have a bit of gas left in him.

I fully agree on bringing James Hart. With his dual nationality it would be a very smart move at this juncture and in any case Marmion and himself are probably worth looking at given the age profiles of Reddan and Boss. You'd have to think one of the younger players stands a good chance of making the squad for the RWC. Last year's Lions tourists ought to be rested along with fellas like the aforementioned quartet who were born in 1979 and 1980.

It's a shame Stuart Olding probably won't be seen before next season because he's got a serious chance of being a bolter one would think.
with yee on Hart

Ross and Darcy (centrally) contracted until world cup and expressed wishes to play in it
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If RoboCop ends up missing the summer tour, it's not that big a deal in terms of Heaslip being able to cover a short tour, especially with 2 games less in his schedule this time of year ( :-( ).

Jordi Murphy would appear to be the guy best placed to take advantage.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

World rankings are meaningless outside of one time every four years when you need them for a good seeding for the WC. On that basis I would not be too worried about the results in these games.

I would rest those that have a few too many miles on the clock with a view to having them fit for the WC. I would only bring those younger guys who have a serious potential to make the next WC. I would also make sure to have enough senior heads on the pitch at all times to make the young guys caps worthwhile. I do not think you learn much throwing in a group of young guys together.