Bastereaud

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

glenageary
Mullet

Bastereaud

Post by glenageary »

:clap:
Seriously impressed with him on Saturday! Best french player in my book.

But what a good man, took down Sexton, ok that happens, but stayed to make sure he was ok.

In the paper today it also said that he enquirer after Kearney after he hit him in the ribs! He seems to be a very likable giant! I hope him well, but hope he does not have such a repeat performance against us in Toulon.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Bastereaud

Post by fourthirtythree »

I'd guess he's alert to it as he must be quite used to knocking people out!

He seems like a nice fellow (and French people have always stressed that) and I'm delighted he's doing well as he was a rather troubled young man and you worried for him in the past. He made ground and even passed once but he cost them two tries. He was a net liability rather than asset. He looks to have more basic skills than Tuilagi but as a player I'm not particularly a fan.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

glenageary wrote::clap:
Seriously impressed with him on Saturday! Best french player in my book.

But what a good man, took down Sexton, ok that happens, but stayed to make sure he was ok.

In the paper today it also said that he enquirer after Kearney after he hit him in the ribs! He seems to be a very likable giant! I hope him well, but hope he does not have such a repeat performance against us in Toulon.
I was actually quite struck by that. It was good to see such a sporting gesture in such an intense contest.

Bravo
Bastereaud
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

More importantly how do we stop the fecker in Toulon?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah, Bastareaud's early break through D'Arcy/Drico really showed his strengths and weaknesses.

He showed great strength and surprising speed to make the initial break, but badly messed up a relatively simple miss pass which would have given France an early try. For an international 13, you just have to have a better standard of passing than that.

Really though, I don't understand how someone who is 120 kg/ 19 stone (and as muscular as he is, let's be honest, there's a belly there too) and just 6'0" tall can also be so fast and agile. He defies logic.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

He's definitely a good man. Probably too good when that mysterious adventures in New Zealand few years ago.
Just a bit of lazy by nature, he can't keep fit on a full season but he has improved and works hard since he's in Toulon.
Not the greatest offload pass I must admit.
I'm french. Please correct my english mistakes !
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thought he was a major major factor in Toulon winning the HEC last year. At a few of the breakdowns he was simply awesome, a rock on which the Clermont players were bouncing off.

When focused hes an animal. A player that will, and has caused the best in the world problems. I'd have him in my team and reduce the amount of risks he takes to reduce the error count. If hes not confident of those passes, just don't make them and let the team take advantage of the line break.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Very classy of the man.

He'll be a major threat in a couple of weeks.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

[Jackass] wrote: He'll be a major threat in a couple of weeks.
Except that now, thanks to the 6 Nations, a large number of Leinster's front line players have had a chance to play against him and see some of his strengths/weaknesses first hand. :wink: Thanks Joe
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Should he have got a yellow card?
A bit of stiff arm about it. His feet (both) also left the ground as he jumped into the tackle.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Oldschool wrote:Should he have got a yellow card?
A bit of stiff arm about it. His feet (both) also left the ground as he jumped into the tackle.
Pretty similar use of the arm as Cian Healy v Richie McCaw in November.
Borderline for me, as was Healy.
Against you it is a penalty, for you Healy is a freak awesome, a man mountain.
Objectively it is as I say borderline dangerous play. Will it be the next act of potentially dangerous play outlawed?
In my book it should be illegal to lead with the arm. It is illegal to punch, a forearm smash is at least as if not more lethal. Stick to the open palmed hand off
Last edited by All Blacks nil on March 19th, 2014, 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I thought his approach to the tackle bordered on illegal on first view but having watched replays I thought it was fair. He didn't lead with the elbow and raised his arm in the tackle to try to break free.
Four Stars
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Lar wrote:I thought his approach to the tackle bordered on illegal on first view but having watched replays I thought it was fair. He didn't lead with the elbow and raised his arm in the tackle to try to break free.

Hmmmm
Oldschool wrote:Should he have got a yellow card?

Incidentally you got to admire McCaw here as he attempts to wrap his legs around Healy
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

All Blacks nil wrote:

Hmmmm
Please tell me this isn't giving you a boner :oops:
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Lar wrote:I thought his approach to the tackle bordered on illegal on first view but having watched replays I thought it was fair. He didn't lead with the elbow and raised his arm in the tackle to try to break free.
Hmmmm
Lets just put this to bed AB0, Healy actually ducks into the tackle and the photo you're looking at is Healy swatting away McCaw's attempted grapple/ Healy pre-take off.

"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Peg Leg wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
Hmmmm
Lets just put this to bed AB0, Healy actually ducks into the tackle and the photo you're looking at is Healy swatting away McCaw's attempted grapple/ Healy pre-take off.

Peg Leg
The only reason I brought this up was to compare it with Bastereaud's fend off on Saturday. Some people are arguing that it was a yellow card offence. I pulled this up to keep people more objective on the matter.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

All Blacks nil wrote: The only reason I brought this up was to compare it with Bastereaud's fend off on Saturday. Some people are arguing that it was a yellow card offence. I pulled this up to keep people more objective on the matter.
Whatever would we do without you?
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote: Hmmmm

Peg Leg
The only reason I brought this up was to compare it with Bastereaud's fend off on Saturday. Some people are arguing that it was a yellow card offence. I pulled this up to keep people more objective on the matter.
And I introduced the footage to show that Healy did not lead with the arm, therefore the two are not comparable!
Daniel Sullivan
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

You have fair eyesight to be able to determine that, given the wide angle camera view and the fact that the shot is taking from behind Healy.
Was there not a close up slo-mo shot,that might let us of less hawklike visual ability make a more informed judgement.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

All Blacks nil wrote:You have fair eyesight to be able to determine that, given the wide angle camera view and the fact that the shot is taking from behind Healy.
Was there not a close up slo-mo shot,that might let us of less hawklike visual ability make a more informed judgement.
Nope, you'll have to rely on my hawk-like ablility and discard your hawkish stirring.
Daniel Sullivan