Emerging Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: Emerging Ireland

Post by offshorerules »

My guess is that the rules regarding nationality are becoming a bit of a thorny issue in other countries and could well be reviewed soon. Get as many players capped in the meantime so.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Wolfhounds - Ireland A is definitely Ireland's designated 2nd team. However it's getting difficult to find fixtures at this level.

Seven's is automatically designated but Olympic Rules may change this - it is an Olympic Sport who allow re-qualification on certain residency grounds.

Historically, the Irish Rugby viewpoint is that we should not restrict ourselves by designating our Under 20's, but this is apparently under review - something else for Mr Nucifora's in-tray. The Welsh and Scots currently designated their 20's as their (dis-)qualification team and the French have done so from Season to season
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

With the Olympics, and I think I have this right

If a player is capped for one nation but was previously qualified for another nation (and holds a passport for that nation) he can play Olympic 7s for that 2nd nation and in doing so requalifies for said second nation (and no other)

What that means is if Pacific Island born players who were capped by NZ/Aus have Samon/Tongan/Fijiian/Cook Islands/New Caledonian passports and play for land of their births in the Olympics they are then requalified to play test rugby for said Pacific Islands
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:With the Olympics, and I think I have this right

If a player is capped for one nation but was previously qualified for another nation (and holds a passport for that nation) he can play Olympic 7s for that 2nd nation and in doing so requalifies for said second nation (and no other)

What that means is if Pacific Island born players who were capped by NZ/Aus have Samon/Tongan/Fijiian/Cook Islands/New Caledonian passports and play for land of their births in the Olympics they are then requalified to play test rugby for said Pacific Islands
If this had come in some years ago it could been very interesting where Isa Nacewa was concerned - he could have played 7s in the Olympics and finally been free to show all his skills and talents on the well deserved world stage.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

And if you think that true logically, if that rule was applied by IOC, it would have to be respected by IRB and therefore you could have precedent in professional sport for discrimination between team-mates as to eligibility - which could produce the legal loophole that All Blacks / Boks / Whoever, would begin to turn up playing for Abu Dahbi, / Doha / Saudi / Qatar etc.

This is where the water begins to get very murky and why Rugby has to be very aware that playing 7's in the Olympics has potential downsides also.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:With the Olympics, and I think I have this right

If this had come in some years ago it could been very interesting where Isa Nacewa was concerned - he could have played 7s in the Olympics and finally been free to show all his skills and talents on the well deserved world stage.
wouldve justified Ireland 7s team in itself :)
Ruckedtobits wrote:And if you think that true logically, if that rule was applied by IOC, it would have to be respected by IRB and therefore you could have precedent in professional sport for discrimination between team-mates as to eligibility - which could produce the legal loophole that All Blacks / Boks / Whoever, would begin to turn up playing for Abu Dahbi, / Doha / Saudi / Qatar etc.

This is where the water begins to get very murky and why Rugby has to be very aware that playing 7's in the Olympics has potential downsides also.
flipside is it counters NZ & Australia especially capping guys just to tie them down and would make Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Italy, Japan, Scotland stronger which is good for the game
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon