New Ireland Forwards Coach

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: New Ireland Forwards Coach

Post by ceemec »

Indeed. Greg Feek's remit with Leinster went beyond just the scrum in the last year as he sought to become more involved in other aspects of forward play. Also worth noting that Feek's first 3 years with the Hurricanes as a coach were as the technical advisor to the forwards, not a specific scrum coach.

Easterby isn't the best coach in the world but he's promising and has clearly made an impression on a number of people within the game. He was a coach at 34 (while still playing) and head coach at 36. I am concerned he never served as a specific forwards coach but he was always a canny, cerebral player who was very much about the technical aspects of the game rather than bursting people in tackles or carries. I don't see our maul and line out suddenly falling apart under him.

He'll be learning on the job in a RWC year which is far from ideal but I don't think he'll lack for effort or guidance from those around him.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

ceemec wrote:Indeed. Greg Feek's remit with Leinster went beyond just the scrum in the last year as he sought to become more involved in other aspects of forward play. Also worth noting that Feek's first 3 years with the Hurricanes as a coach were as the technical advisor to the forwards, not a specific scrum coach.

Easterby isn't the best coach in the world but he's promising and has clearly made an impression on a number of people within the game. He was a coach at 34 (while still playing) and head coach at 36. I am concerned he never served as a specific forwards coach but he was always a canny, cerebral player who was very much about the technical aspects of the game rather than bursting people in tackles or carries. I don't see our maul and line out suddenly falling apart under him.

He'll be learning on the job in a RWC year which is far from ideal but I don't think he'll lack for effort or guidance from those around him.

so POC coaches the line out, Feek does the scrummaging so that leaves Easterby doing the breakdown? (probably his area of expertise in fairness)
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

God knows. Easterby was a top class line out jumper in his own right so I'm sure he'll have an input into that area.

We also have a potential to call upon David Nucifora to lend some input. He was a top class coach when in the role previously and very much a technical one.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

On the plus side him joining Team Ireland has the added bonus of it upsetting the scarlets and their fans, always a good thing :D
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

JB1973 wrote:On the plus side him joining Team Ireland has the added bonus of it upsetting the scarlets and their fans, always a good thing :D
Can we ask him to punch Liam Williams on the way out?
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Is Easterbunny a done deal?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Morf wrote:
JB1973 wrote:On the plus side him joining Team Ireland has the added bonus of it upsetting the scarlets and their fans, always a good thing :D
no I think we need to go with longer term psychological damage on Williams
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Morf wrote:

rumor has it journey man prop Cai Griffith gave him a belting on a night out in Swansea a few month ago, shame that didn't make it onto youtube :D
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

JB1973 wrote:
Morf wrote:

rumor has it journey man prop Cai Griffith gave him a belting on a night out in Swansea a few month ago, shame that didn't make it onto youtube :D
I thought that was compulsory on a night out in Swansea?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

rumor has it journey man prop Cai Griffith gave him a belting on a night out in Swansea a few month ago, shame that didn't make it onto youtube :D[/quote]

I thought that was compulsory on a night out in Swansea?[/quote]

ha you've been to wind street then? :P
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

JB1973 wrote:rumor has it journey man prop Cai Griffith gave him a belting on a night out in Swansea a few month ago, shame that didn't make it onto youtube :D
I thought that was compulsory on a night out in Swansea?[/quote]

ha you've been to wind street then? :P[/quote]

I never go south of Durham without a gum shield.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Looks like Easterby is leaving Scarlets for the Ireland job alright.....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/ ... um=twitter
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I think its a positive appointment, quite pleased really.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Have say I think you could and should have done better, I see nothing in his coaching career that suggests he is ready to take Ireland to the next level.

Mind you as an Osprey fan, I maybe biased against him :D
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I look forward to the whole pack doing great unseen work 8)

in all seriousness if he is not up to it he will be found out very quickly, any word on duration of contract?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

JB1973 wrote:Have say I think you could and should have done better, I see nothing in his coaching career that suggests he is ready to take Ireland to the next level.

Mind you as an Osprey fan, I maybe biased against him :D
I guess we'll see. I have a lot of time for recent ex players as position coaches.

We needed to hire someone pretty quickly so he's a decent risk. Also, he's an Irish coach in the setup so he solves some political issues. Even better that he's not annointed and therefore isn't in a position to stab anyone in the back.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

No way he would be joining up if JS was in any way reluctant to have him. Scarlets gave us a few scares with Easterbunny in charge and they also produced something different tactically almost every time we played them. However, what John PLumtree brought most to the party was an open-mind, current experience and a strong personality. Working with far less talented players in Scarlets (than PLumtree had in Sharks), Easterbunny is bringing a number of the same traits. A good selection and possibly the consideration between suggestion and acceptance came from SE not from IRFU.