New Ireland Forwards Coach

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Livestrong7
Bookworm

Re: New Ireland Forwards Coach

Post by Livestrong7 »

Robbie Deans is also a backs coach!!!
'I've played for this team for ten years some guys for 11 or 12 and I've loved every minute of it...It was worth the wait. I love Leinster and i couldn't have won it with a better bunch of players' Brian O'Driscoll.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Could we see a provincial head coach sacrificed on the altar of the WC?

One of them has recent experience in the very same role. As provinces we give up players all the time to Team Ireland, is this the logical conclusion of a Team Ireland First policy?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder if Mike Ruddock is in the mix? Wouldn't consider it if it wasn't for these particular circumstances.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if Mike Ruddock is in the mix? Wouldn't consider it if it wasn't for these particular circumstances.
I doubt it. I think Schmidt wants a technician. Mike knows his rugby and his packs, but I'm not sure if he would tick the box of modern rugby technician. Just my hunch tho.

Andy Robinson?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

tate wrote:Could we see a provincial head coach sacrificed on the altar of the WC?

One of them has recent experience in the very same role. As provinces we give up players all the time to Team Ireland, is this the logical conclusion of a Team Ireland First policy?
Depends, how would Lam be as a forwards coach?
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

In an ideal world, we break the bank and get Jono Gibbes out of his Clermont deal.

Very little top level talent available this close to a RWC...
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Easterby to replace Plumtree?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

There's strong rumours about Simon alright. Not sure he'd dump the Scarlets in it though.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if Mike Ruddock is in the mix? Wouldn't consider it if it wasn't for these particular circumstances.
outstanding forward coach, bags of experience would be a really good appointment in my eyes.

Looks like it will be easterby though, would Gibbes have taken the role if it had been offered to him?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:
outstanding forward coach, bags of experience would be a really good appointment in my eyes.

Looks like it will be easterby though, would Gibbes have taken the role if it had been offered to him?
Gibbes would definitely have taken it

Can we expect Rob Kearney to make a lot of late tackles now? :P
I would be more worried about Easterby turning it down than not doing a good job
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Easterby stayed in Llannelli when others moved to Ireland for their careers including his brother.

I'm not sure I see him moving, he has a decent setup there and options. Ireland is a good role and he'd fit well with Schmidt and learn loads off him. But it's a risky long term move because because the anointed one has has claimed the role or the boss role when he has enough experience at Munster.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Hard to say how it would work out. Easterby has now done a couple of years as a head coach and is moving into an international set up. If he does a good job with Ireland, he has a decent chance of getting the top job if Schmidt was to move on. Funny how that would work out given nobody would have imagined him being considered ever a week ago.

A lot of things to happen between now and then. Michael Bradley was once the anointed one but was found out when he moved up the ladder.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Could Easterbunny do both jobs until 2015? He wouldn't be the first.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Could Easterbunny do both jobs until 2015? He wouldn't be the first.
If he was in charge of an Irish side maybe but too hard IMO for him to watch Irish forwards play for provinces and do his own job

He is loyal to Scarlets but no sign of Welsh rugby unf***ing itself any time soon or even medium term
Realistically whats the ambition with Scarlets (that could be achieved)? A league playoff place? They cant keep star players indigenous or otherwise and they cant attract good signings. Theyve lost 4 starters (and indeed internationals) this summer and replaced them with rejects for for the knackers yard

I cant see Foley leaving Munster job to take Ireland forwards post RWC even if Joe moved on so 3 year deal for Easterby could be good for him
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Easterby wife is a bit of a mini celeb in Wales, she has presented shows on bbc wales and as a fluent welsh speaker she is a regular on many shows on S4C. They appear to have a cushy lifestyle living in the vale of Glamorgan and no doubt her kids are in or going to be in a welsh school as well . He does appear to have very strong routes in Wales so maybe that will have some impact on if he moves or not, however his silence seems to suggest he is off if a deal can be agreed.
If I was him I'd be off like a shot there is a very low glass ceiling in Welsh rugby at the moment , and with the budgets involved he has next to no chance of obtaining any success at the scarlets. Plus and this is just my view the Scarlets pack were pretty rubbish until they brought in Danny Wilson and I think this is a chance that he doesn't really deserve based on his track record so far.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

JB1973 wrote:Easterby wife is a bit of a mini celeb in Wales, she has presented shows on bbc wales and as a fluent welsh speaker she is a regular on many shows on S4C. They appear to have a cushy lifestyle living in the vale of Glamorgan and no doubt her kids are in or going to be in a welsh school as well.
Isn't she the one that's pretty high profile with BT Sport's rugby coverage? I foresee certain compatibility issues in the two trying to pursue careers in different countries if that is the case.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:Easterby wife is a bit of a mini celeb in Wales, she has presented shows on bbc wales and as a fluent welsh speaker she is a regular on many shows on S4C. They appear to have a cushy lifestyle living in the vale of Glamorgan and no doubt her kids are in or going to be in a welsh school as well . He does appear to have very strong routes in Wales so maybe that will have some impact on if he moves or not, however his silence seems to suggest he is off if a deal can be agreed.
If I was him I'd be off like a shot there is a very low glass ceiling in Welsh rugby at the moment , and with the budgets involved he has next to no chance of obtaining any success at the scarlets. Plus and this is just my view the Scarlets pack were pretty rubbish until they brought in Danny Wilson and I think this is a chance that he doesn't really deserve based on his track record so far.
He mighnt be home every night but hed be home a lot if hes Ireland forwards coach

The Wilson bit is very interesting though

Reading between the lines though POC seems to be driving a lot of the fowards stuff in Ireland esp lineout
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Vamos los azules wrote:
JB1973 wrote:Easterby wife is a bit of a mini celeb in Wales, she has presented shows on bbc wales and as a fluent welsh speaker she is a regular on many shows on S4C. They appear to have a cushy lifestyle living in the vale of Glamorgan and no doubt her kids are in or going to be in a welsh school as well.
Isn't she the one that's pretty high profile with BT Sport's rugby coverage? I foresee certain compatibility issues in the two trying to pursue careers in different countries if that is the case.
Barring a 2/3 months of the year, I'm pretty sure he could still base himself in Wales for most of the year.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
JB1973 wrote:Easterby wife is a bit of a mini celeb in Wales, she has presented shows on bbc wales and as a fluent welsh speaker she is a regular on many shows on S4C. They appear to have a cushy lifestyle living in the vale of Glamorgan and no doubt her kids are in or going to be in a welsh school as well . He does appear to have very strong routes in Wales so maybe that will have some impact on if he moves or not, however his silence seems to suggest he is off if a deal can be agreed.
He mighnt be home every night but hed be home a lot if hes Ireland forwards coach

The Wilson bit is very interesting though

Reading between the lines though POC seems to be driving a lot of the fowards stuff in Ireland esp lineout

Danny Wilson has improved the Scarlets front 5 no end (before he left to join the Bristol gravy train) , even when Easterby was not the head man there I'm sure he was defence coach as opposed to forwards coach.

The guy was clearly a very good player who had a long international career and appears to know his stuff, but there is nothing in his CV to suggest he is ready to step up and the forwards coach of one of the top 5 rugby international sides in the world.

His experience is not a patch on that of Plumtree and looks like a considerable step down in my eyes

Do Ireland have a separate scrum coach?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We do:Greg Feek. He's been double jobbing with Leinster for quite a while but is taking a bigger role in the national setup.

He does do more than just scrummaging but probably couldn't do it all on his own at Ireland level.