NZ vs England

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: NZ vs England

Post by JB1973 »

England were unlucky to lose that, thought their pack especially Parling were excellent.

Burns had a v good game and brown and tulagi are very dangerous with ball in hand.

The all blacks were very poor, shaky scrum , lightweight at the breakdown and dagg and nonu were terrible.

I think the English may have missed their chance for this tour though, I'm backing the AB's by 15 points plus next week
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

England might be playing Tuilagi on wing in second test as 12x3 and Burrell fit and they need one centre who can/will pass
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

olaf the fat wrote:England were at 15 when the try was scored.

On the run back from the NZ incident on the line, Owens said something like " I know what you were trying, but you just got you timing wrong, otherwise it would have been a yellow card" to one of the NZ players. --

Yarde was clearly told stop but he continued to kill the ball.

But the ABs do always seem to get the 50/50 decisions
You sure?? I thought Yarde was binned at around 69:30 and the try was scored around 78mins, just before he came back on.
Dont Panic!
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Yarde was in the bin when smith scored afaik. He came back on at the restart..
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

The last twice iev seen the all blacks they have been second best but won both games.

You have to take your hat off to their ability to play to the final whistle and refusal to panic.

Guess that what comes from such a long winning run
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:The last twice iev seen the all blacks they have been second best but won both games.

You have to take your hat off to their ability to play to the final whistle and refusal to panic.

Steve Hansen out
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

JB1973 wrote:The last twice iev seen the all blacks they have been second best but won both games.

Jammy gits!
Dont Panic!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

simonokeeffe wrote:

Steve Hansen out

sounds familiar, takes me back to 2003 :D
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

As expected Tuilagi to the wing
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/j ... all-blacks

"Some will scratch their heads and struggle to understand why England’s most destructive back-line runner is being banished to the wide outside. The answer is simple: Lancaster wants centres with outstanding distribution skills and argues Tuilagi could be even more lethal as an attacking menace off set plays."

To be honest, some games I've seen him play in the centre, he has been a sad imitation of a professional footballer so poor have his skills been. I laughed out loud at his display against Wales last year. I suppose NZ will target him with chips, if he stands up to it he should be moved there for good. I'm getting sick of seeing centres that can't continue a move.

oh, and Parling for Lawes is interesting as well as Brooks to the bench...
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

You could make a case for 36 and Burrell as the world's best centre partnership - which maybe says more about the standard of world centres...

I can see Tuilagi trailing off Billy and Luther - a la Tommy Bowe - and doing big damage. It's a progressive call from Lancaster which I'm looking forward to seeing.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

jezzer wrote:You could make a case for 36 and Burrell as the world's best centre partnership - which maybe says more about the standard of world centres...

I can see Tuilagi trailing off Billy and Luther - a la Tommy Bowe - and doing big damage. It's a progressive call from Lancaster which I'm looking forward to seeing.
If he can get off the ground he could be great, but I can see him struggling with NZ's kick - chasers.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

As for the NZ camp:
I note with interest Savea comes in for the injured Samuel Dagg (obviously goes on the wing and Ben Smith switches to full-back).Injury aside IMO Dagg has been well off his best of late (having also seen him a few times in the Supers) so with Savea back and Ben Smith a proven attacking force from full-back, the side is by no means weakened by this change.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

fourthirtythree wrote:I'm getting sick of seeing centres that can't continue a move.
I'm not sure Burrell is a significant improvement on that front.

I see Ashton is on the bench in case the whole Tuilagi on the wing thing is a complete car crash. What price Savea for a hat trick?

Anyone figured out who the fullback cover is? I'm guessing Burns but Lancaster seems to have lurched from full backs everywhere to centres everywhere.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Savea Is the best winger in the world IMO, can't wait to see what he can do on Saturday. Been in fantastic form for the Hurricanes, has really added subtlety and improved his workrate over the last year. Thought Ben Smith was pretty quiet until that last pass, and given Dagg's average performance/recent form, think their back three looks far more dangerous now.

Not sure about Tuilagi on the wing, don't think that getting their best players on the pitch is a good idea in this case. Burrell is brilliant though so that centre selection is tricky. Think Burrell is an underrated footballer though and they could actually play together.

Can't wait for this game, should be a cracker if the weather is good. Was hugely impressed with England last weekend. I think it was a bit unrealistic for them to really kick on from the 6N given the number of the changes, but for the new players to step in seamlessly was massive for them. They could have come in and swung from the hip in the circumstances but don't think either the team or the individual players would have benefitted long term. For them to pretty much copy the performances of the 6N will really stand to them though and think the returning players will give them a chance to really kick on become a complete side this weekend and in the medium term. One guy that really surprised me was Burns, didn't think he had that kind of performance in him tbh, and don't really think George Ford would have done that well had he been fit.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

12x3 is lauded as this great passing, distributing second five eighth but in 6n he mostly just trucked it up as Burrell or Turner Hall could have done (better)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't really get it with Twelvetrees. He's not bad by any means but I don't get the fuss.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I don't really get it with Twelvetrees. He's not bad by any means but I don't get the fuss.
Whatever it is, I'm missing it as well.
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

I don't get the hype, Twelvetrees in a Gloucester jersey is nothing special but in an England jersey is something totally different. He is a decent player, he has good distributing skills and Lancaster says he reminds him of a 'typical New Zealand type 12'. But in saying that there's another Billy who's overrating is truly baffling, Mr Vunipola.. I think it's an English thing, they do it with Rooney, Barkley, Sterling etc and they do it with Tuilagi, Lawes, Farrell etc.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

ichabodscrane wrote:I don't get the hype, Twelvetrees in a Gloucester jersey is nothing special but in an England jersey is something totally different. He is a decent player, he has good distributing skills and Lancaster says he reminds him of a 'typical New Zealand type 12'. But in saying that there's another Billy who's overrating is truly baffling, Mr Vunipola.. I think it's an English thing, they do it with Rooney, Barkley, Sterling etc and they do it with Tuilagi, Lawes, Farrell etc.
Didn't rate Lawes until the last season but he really stepped up this year. Tuilagi delivers in snatches. The Farrell one is a media thing. A significant percentage of fans don't rate him at all. So saying, I was intrigued to hear Graham Rowntree's opinion of him. Given that if you don't scrummage you are pretty much dead to him I was surprised to hear the way he speaks of Owen so highly.

Personally if I had to put a bet on who will have the England 10 shirt for the 2019 World Cup I'd go for Henry Slade, with a Burns brother as back up (haven't decided which one though!) but a serious work ethic can get you a long way. Look at Wilkinson and Halfpenny. Both have worked really hard to be the players they have become and Farrell junior has that work ethic and strength of character.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Vamos los azules wrote:
ichabodscrane wrote:I don't get the hype, Twelvetrees in a Gloucester jersey is nothing special but in an England jersey is something totally different. He is a decent player, he has good distributing skills and Lancaster says he reminds him of a 'typical New Zealand type 12'. But in saying that there's another Billy who's overrating is truly baffling, Mr Vunipola.. I think it's an English thing, they do it with Rooney, Barkley, Sterling etc and they do it with Tuilagi, Lawes, Farrell etc.
Tuilagi delivers in snatches.
Don't think I've ever heard a greater compliment.