NZ vs England

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: NZ vs England

Post by artaneboy »

England try! F*#king Ashton with a more muted version of his splish- splash. 28 - 27 win to New Zealand. They should have had more- but fair play to England. That inate cockiness of our neighbours won't be too hurt by that 1 point loss. Next week should be fun.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

I was willing to reserve judgement on the Tuilagi on the wing idea until seeing it in action. Not impressed.

9-10-12-13 combination today significantly more wobbly than last week's. In addition to not getting the fuss about Twelvetrees, I really don't get the fuss about Burrell.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Brave effort from England, but didn't take enough of their chances in the first half. When the All Blacks went up the gears, they had no answer to them.
How good is Ben Smith? Doesn't look like much, but a bit like his namesake Conrad, he never seems to make a mistake and always seems to come up with a try.

One thing I noticed was the use of the bench. When the AB's scored their first try, that was the time to start getting the likes of Lawes and Vunipola on but Lancaster diddered and it was another ten minutes before they were on and by then the game was gone. How did Care last until ten minutes before the end too? It was probably the injury but he was very poor.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

You could see Ashton nearly go for big dive oblivious it was a still only a consolation

Yarde on the wing was anonymous in defence, at least someone like Wade would have tried to tackle. Ashton should be recalled, think I just threw up in my mouth a little
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Vamos los azules
Mullet

simonokeeffe wrote:You could see Ashton nearly go for big dive oblivious it was a still only a consolation
I think it is muscle memory at this stage. He's no longer physically capable of putting the ball down any other way.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Donny B. wrote:Brave effort from England, but didn't take enough of their chances in the first half. When the All Blacks went up the gears, they had no answer to them.
How good is Ben Smith? Doesn't look like much, but a bit like his namesake Conrad, he never seems to make a mistake and always seems to come up with a try.

One thing I noticed was the use of the bench. When the AB's scored their first try, that was the time to start getting the likes of Lawes and Vunipola on but Lancaster diddered and it was another ten minutes before they were on and by then the game was gone. How did Care last until ten minutes before the end too? It was probably the injury but he was very poor.
Bit of a common theme for Lancaster to mess up substitutions. Remember the game against France a few months ago?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Vamos los azules wrote:I was willing to reserve judgement on the Tuilagi on the wing idea until seeing it in action. Not impressed.

9-10-12-13 combination today significantly more wobbly than last week's. In addition to not getting the fuss about Twelvetrees, I really don't get the fuss about Burrell.
I think Burrell is brilliant but he was poor today alright. Well he made a good start but like most of the England team he was just blown away as it went on. No excuse for the really poor effort at tackling Nonu for his try though, although he wasn't the only one.

Tuilagi was fairly anonymous for the most part. I had a feeling that he would concentrate so much on not being out of position that he'd go missing in attack and think that's what happened. Suspect he'd be good on the left wing against lesser opposition but the way he was used today was a waste. Surprised Ben Smith managed to stop him as he went for the line but credit to him for that tackle and then his workrate to get over the ball afterwards, great stuff.

Would you not feel like decking Ashton if he was on your team and you saw him swan dive like that in a game you knew you were about to lose?
Vamos los azules
Mullet

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Would you not feel like decking Ashton if he was on your team and you saw him swan dive like that in a game you knew you were about to lose?
I don't know about that but I reckon if I was Owen Farrell or Charlie Hodgson I would have expressed my opinion about how prioritising the dive was landing me with harder kicks because it would seriously annoy me if my kicking stats were being affected by it.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

http://www.epl424.org/index.php?p=1_37_SS1
or also
http://cricfree.eu/sky-sports-1-live-stream-uk.php

All Blacks vs All Whites 3rd test kicking off now.
Show Spoiler:
Terrific start for New Zealand. More or less simple hands across the backline unlocks England for the simplest of tries for Savea
Show Spoiler:
Poor defensive positioning and awareness from league-convert Eastmond gifts Savea a second after 9 mins
ichabodscrane
Graduate

NZ vs England

Post by ichabodscrane »

Poor England are absolutely capitulating . They're being cut open in midfield and the All Blacks and Savea are having a field day out wide. Angry Mike is having a horrid opening 15mins and Billy V is being found out up against King Kieran :)
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

But for that forward pass it could have been a lot worse for England. NZ look like scoring every time they get the ball out the backs
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

ichabodscrane wrote: Billy V is being found out up against King Kieran :)
Vunipola has 10 mins now to observe Kieran from a distance and try to figure him out
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Freddie Burns looks like he's about to pull a Charlie's Angels pose prior to kicking. It's the weirdest mannerism I've seen by a fly half.
ichabodscrane
Graduate

NZ vs England

Post by ichabodscrane »

Lamb of BOD wrote:
ichabodscrane wrote: Billy V is being found out up against King Kieran :)
Vunipola has 10 mins now to observe Kieran from a distance and try to figure him out
I think that's too much for the normal human no 8 brain to comprehend :)
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

I think I have another rugby crush, it started with Campese at Landsdowne Road in 91, followed by my first venture into Southern Hemisphere rugby and watching the majestic Fourie DuPreez, then there was the alien rugby by Bod and now Read :)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ichabodscrane wrote:Freddie Burns looks like he's about to pull a Charlie's Angels pose prior to kicking. It's the weirdest mannerism I've seen by a fly half.
If it's weirder than Owen Farrell's then it's proper weird
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

This has the feel of Ireland's third test last season and we remember how that turned out!
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Thus far, NZ have been able to stop England's rolling mall - even when it was 8 v 8. With that 'weapon' nullified, it's very difficult to see how England can get back into the game. Burns' aimless kicking isn't helping much either. On the other side of the ball, the AB's new number 13 looks excellent and Savea should have a(nother) hat-trick before too long
ichabodscrane
Graduate

NZ vs England

Post by ichabodscrane »

Donny B. wrote:This has the feel of Ireland's third test last season and we remember how that turned out!
Yeah tbh Donny I was worrying about playing England in the 6nations and I probably still am but not as much after this test opening. You know it's gonna be a bad day for England when Tom Wood drops ball and Mike Brown is limited to seeking contact. Eastmond was a strange selection but it will stand him in good stead in the future. England's defensive line is very fragile , their one up tackling is dreadful and Vunipola is being thrown around like a bar of shop in the prison showers.
Last edited by ichabodscrane on June 21st, 2014, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

I don't think NZ are doing anything we can't do (to England). They're just attacking with pace and changing angles a fraction in the centres. Savea has two by holding his width, Smith has two by folloing the play and taking off-loads.