Players can now play for two nations ??

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby JB1973 » July 28th, 2014, 11:10 am

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/ex-all-bla ... ch-6039491

This could have serious repercussions for the world game if it is allowed to happen, any thoughts on the matter?
JB1973
Mullet
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: June 7th, 2013, 10:30 am

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby offshorerules » July 28th, 2014, 11:23 am

Mixed emotions really. You used to be able to do this and the rules were changed. So it looks like its just changing back. However given the amount of money on offer in France you would have to wonder could this result in France fielding a side where there are very few French players in it?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
User avatar
offshorerules
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: October 19th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Location: The Beverly Hills of South County Dublin

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby JB1973 » July 28th, 2014, 11:28 am

handy for you guys , bet half the aussie and plenty of the kiwis have irish heritage somewhere along the line. You could even pick up guys who have already been capped now, bet the scots would benefit from it as well
JB1973
Mullet
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: June 7th, 2013, 10:30 am

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby offshorerules » July 28th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Ah sure we give out passports as if they were sweets too.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
User avatar
offshorerules
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: October 19th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Location: The Beverly Hills of South County Dublin

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby mikerob » July 28th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Somewhat moot from an Irish perspective as there isn't an Ireland mens 7s team and I'm not aware of any plans to create one although I suppose in theory it could happen with the women's team.

It is also probably moot for the Scottish and Welsh teams. The Team GB 7s team for the Olympics won't be a "best of" team from England, Scotland and Wales. The highest qualifying team from those 3 countries will be nominated by the British Olympic Association to represent GB and for Rio 2016, that will be England.

The 4 home unions have already agreed that IRFU registered player will represent Ireland, not Team GB, although this is really applicable for the womens team.
mikerob
Mullet
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 9:42 am
Location: Chiswick, London

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby Donny B. » July 28th, 2014, 1:54 pm

User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26630
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby JB1973 » July 28th, 2014, 2:07 pm

mikerob wrote:Somewhat moot from an Irish perspective as there isn't an Ireland mens 7s team and I'm not aware of any plans to create one although I suppose in theory it could happen with the women's team.

It is also probably moot for the Scottish and Welsh teams. The Team GB 7s team for the Olympics won't be a "best of" team from England, Scotland and Wales. The highest qualifying team from those 3 countries will be nominated by the British Olympic Association to represent GB and for Rio 2016, that will be England.

The 4 home unions have already agreed that IRFU registered player will represent Ireland, not Team GB, although this is really applicable for the womens team.



It's not restricted to sevens though, it's for all aspects of the game.

James O'Connor and pat mccabe must have irish heritage!
JB1973
Mullet
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: June 7th, 2013, 10:30 am

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby mikerob » July 28th, 2014, 2:27 pm

JB1973 wrote:
mikerob wrote:Somewhat moot from an Irish perspective as there isn't an Ireland mens 7s team and I'm not aware of any plans to create one although I suppose in theory it could happen with the women's team.

It is also probably moot for the Scottish and Welsh teams. The Team GB 7s team for the Olympics won't be a "best of" team from England, Scotland and Wales. The highest qualifying team from those 3 countries will be nominated by the British Olympic Association to represent GB and for Rio 2016, that will be England.

The 4 home unions have already agreed that IRFU registered player will represent Ireland, not Team GB, although this is really applicable for the womens team.



It's not restricted to sevens though, it's for all aspects of the game.

James O'Connor and pat mccabe must have irish heritage!


AFAIK to switch you must be selected for an eligible 7s team taking part in an event for Olympic qualification and as Ireland don't have a mens 7s team on the circuit, this makes it a moot point. Also, it needs to be at least 18 months after the player last played for another country so that would rule out O'Connor until 2016. I think the 18 months is increasing to 2 years for the 2020 Olympics. Once a player has switched, they can also play 15s.

You could see some countries maybe gaming the system by giving a former international a token 7s cap so they could play 15s but I can't see it being a big number.
mikerob
Mullet
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 9:42 am
Location: Chiswick, London

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby paddyor » July 28th, 2014, 2:46 pm

JB1973 wrote:It's not restricted to sevens though, it's for all aspects of the game.

James O'Connor and pat mccabe must have irish heritage!

James O'Connor..........no thanks!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2898
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby JB1973 » July 28th, 2014, 2:58 pm

must be a few ex all blacks , aussies and even English knocking about in france who may fancy a shot at the world cup?

Armitage could be the first of many to throw his hat into the ring, maso , hayman etc etc could all follow his lead?
JB1973
Mullet
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: June 7th, 2013, 10:30 am

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby offshorerules » July 28th, 2014, 3:14 pm

They're drooling in Munster at the thought of Warwick getting an Irish call up again.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
User avatar
offshorerules
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: October 19th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Location: The Beverly Hills of South County Dublin

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby Lamb of BOD » July 28th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Terrific shame for Isa that this change wasn't implemented a couple of years ago.
User avatar
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened
 
Posts: 809
Joined: June 27th, 2012, 3:46 pm
Location: Caught Somewhere In Time

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby simonokeeffe » July 28th, 2014, 3:40 pm

From NZ telly

"Former All Blacks Anthony Tuitavake, Sam Tuitupou and ex-Wallabies Mark Gerrard and Sitaleki Timani will lodge an application to play for Tonga under Regulation 8 in the IRB Handbook.

Former All Blacks Sevens representatives Alando Soakai, Lifeimi Mafi and Roy Kinikinilau are also on board for the Ikale Tahi while Tim Nanai-Williams has confirmed his intentions to play for Manu Samoa.

Sources close to World Cup-winning All Black Isaia Toeava confirm he has been in contact with Samoan rugby officials but he declined to comment when contacted by ONE News.

Tonga Rugby Union chairman Epi Taione said the revamped laws are being welcomed throughout the Pacific and expects more prominent players to switch their allegiance in the coming weeks.

He says a "hit list" has been put together with Wallabies great George Smith, whose mother is Tongan, a major target along with Chiefs prop Ben Tameifuna and former Australia A and Waratahs first-five Daniel Halangahu.

"So far it's been very positive from every single player so we're quite chuffed about the response we've had so far," said Taione.

Tuitavake, who plays for Montpellier in the French Top 14, said the changes are a hot topic among former internationals now playing in lucrative club competitions in Europe and Japan.

"Since hearing about this loophole that the IRB has made, us ex-New Zealand players that are playing abroad are very keen to switch," he said.

Other former All Blacks who could make the switch include Casey Laulala, Chris Masoe, Lelia Masaga and Mose Tuiali'i who are of Samoan heritage while cousins Joe Rokocoko and Sitiveni Sivivatu were born in Fiji."



so looks like Tonga could be a lot stronger but theyd have to beat Argentina to face us in QF :)
be great seeing a prop playing 7s too
I'd expect Samoa to recruit/re recruit heavily and make a QF too

IMO it is fair enough considering traditional plundering of the islands
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16088
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby JB1973 » July 28th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Lamb of BOD wrote:Terrific shame for Isa that this change wasn't implemented a couple of years ago.


big time, wasn't there a story the Fijian union didn't tell him it would block his chances with another nation?

regan king got 1 cap with the all blacks, he would have had a load of welsh ones otherwise.
JB1973
Mullet
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: June 7th, 2013, 10:30 am

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby paddyor » July 28th, 2014, 4:07 pm

simonokeeffe wrote:IMO it is fair enough considering traditional plundering of the islands

Is this not a bit of a red herring? Given Auckland is (AFAIK) the biggest Polynesian city in the world and Oz has similarly big communities. Take Nacsewa, he was a Kiwi of Fijian heritage rather than the other way round.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2898
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby simonokeeffe » July 29th, 2014, 1:08 am

paddyor wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:IMO it is fair enough considering traditional plundering of the islands

Is this not a bit of a red herring? Given Auckland is (AFAIK) the biggest Polynesian city in the world and Oz has similarly big communities. Take Nacsewa, he was a Kiwi of Fijian heritage rather than the other way round.


its overplayed in one regard due to Polynesian concepts of nationality, hundreds of islands making up a country, players wanting to increase their earnings etc, Samoa generally have highest number of overseas born players in RWC squads but small/poorer countries should be allowed take advantage of their diaspora (much like us)

on other side you have

NZ 7's capping/tying all and sundry, NZ schools wholescale farming the islands, Sivivatu gets capped after he plays an international against NZ, Australia capping guys to bind them to Aus (Moore and Samo 2 biggest recent examples), residency laws screw them over a bit too, European clubs leaning on them not to play internationals, Brive setting up an academy in Fiji
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16088
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Players can now play for two nations ??

Postby Toulon fan » August 3rd, 2014, 7:14 am

It's barely an hoax.
IRB have the last word on the transfer files, and they confirmed it will only be use on Olympic competitions.
So: no, Armitage won't play for France.
I'm french. Please correct my english mistakes !
User avatar
Toulon fan
Bookworm
 
Posts: 222
Joined: January 27th, 2014, 5:44 pm


Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: leinsterforever and 4 guests