Re: November Internationals 2014

Post by Donny B. »

RichardP wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
Sure
C'mon Georgia
Are you for real

Read this thread back. Joe "goes with what he knows". Joe "goes with the Leinster pack destroyed by Munster". Joe is "biased".

There is a certain core of Munster fans who will never enjoy any success Ireland have under Joe. His Leinster background will always make him tainted meat to them. Frankly, it's pathetic.

We have the best rugby coach in the world. I wouldn't swap him for anyone.
That was true before the game, not after.
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!

Thanks for your contribution anyway

So you're saying it's fine because if you say stuff before a match, it doesn't matter once the match is over? Really?
Last edited by Donny B. on November 9th, 2014, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Tbf the 3 quote limit is hard to stick to off a phone. It's hard to edit a multiple quote post.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote: Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!

So you're saying it's fine because if you say stuff before a match, it doesn't matter once the match is over? Really?
Of course. Sure didn't G Hook say that Joe had picked a team deliberately to lose before the game. (Pope and O'Shea nearly knifed him) and sure wasn't it grand after the game.........
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

paddyor wrote:Tbf the 3 quote limit is hard to stick to off a phone. It's hard to edit a multiple quote post.
If that happens me I don't press submit. If it is too much hassle on a phone I wait until I am at a PC (By which time it normally doesn't seem as important or else someone else has made my point for me)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:

Of course. Sure didn't G Hook say that Joe had picked a team deliberately to lose before the game. (Pope and O'Shea nearly knifed him) and sure wasn't it grand after the game.........
I saw a bit of his "mea culpa - I was so wrong before the game, but now I'd admitting I'm wrong sure doesn't that make me a great fella altogether" thing. O'Shea was looking at him as if he was something he stepped into by accident. A pantomime clown and nothing else, I'm eager for the day we're finally rid of this utter fraud
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:

And straight after the game Hook spoke for about 5mins about himself, will we ever be rid of that gobsh*te! He's allowed to dominate the discussion, Popey is his sidekick and Conor is brought in to bring some semblance of sanity. I find myself avoiding RTE pre-match, half-time, and post match analysis because of that Cork Tw*t. The infuriating thing about it is that we have lots of good pundits out there, Lenihan for starts always gives a good view, Shaggy, I'd like to see more of ROG, keep Conor. BOD,Woody, Quinny are also good but probably tied up with other TV commitments.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

johng wrote:
paddyor wrote:Tbf the 3 quote limit is hard to stick to off a phone. It's hard to edit a multiple quote post.
If that happens me I don't press submit. If it is too much hassle on a phone I wait until I am at a PC (By which time it normally doesn't seem as important or else someone else has made my point for me)
Thanks for the advice.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

The Hook pantomime on RTE is so tedious and the sooner it is finished the better. As for Nugent with his "Tommy Booooooowe" every time TB scores a try, is there any chance that he might try a new line?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
johng wrote:

I saw a bit of his "mea culpa - I was so wrong before the game, but now I'd admitting I'm wrong sure doesn't that make me a great fella altogether" thing. O'Shea was looking at him as if he was something he stepped into by accident. A pantomime clown and nothing else, I'm eager for the day we're finally rid of this utter fraud
He would admit to kidnapping and torture if he thought it would make people pay him any attention.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

enby wrote:The Hook pantomime on RTE is so tedious and the sooner it is finished the better. As for Nugent with his "Tommy Booooooowe" every time TB scores a try, is there any chance that he might try a new line?
What is he supposed to say when Tombleeboo scores? "Felix Jooooones "?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I caught that cr@p about picking a team to lose just a little bit today, I avoid that nonsense around the match as I want to enjoy it. Everyone in the studio looked ready to hit him. He really looked like nobody could pretend he was in touch any more.

To be honest I didn't hold out much hope before the match. Forgetting the gulf in quality in halfbacks being the biggest error. Pope pointed out that the injuries talk was overplayed and I think he was right. Now we are talking up Georgia.

We really have to realise that anything short of a win in any game is not meeting the target.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

I fancied Ireland prematch on the proviso that they at least gained parity in scrum and lineout.

To win 29-15 with a dominated scrum and a creaking lineout was testament to a superb defensive display all round and masterful performances from the half backs (the best pairing I have seen for Ireland). Both are tactically astute and technically excellent. Murray runs the show at Munster and Sexton (haven't seen much of him at Racing) is obviously also tactically savvy. As a pair, they take the pressure off each other by their very presence.

Murray and Sexton directed by Schmidt could make for an interesting 12 months. Ireland have their fair share of injuries, but with all due respect to some great players injured these 2 are most vital for Ireland to achieve glory.
Outstanding
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

enby wrote:The Hook pantomime on RTE is so tedious and the sooner it is finished the better. As for Nugent with his "Tommy Booooooowe" every time TB scores a try, is there any chance that he might try a new line?
"Conor Murray....... little kick...... onto it... comesTOMMYBOOOOOOWWWE"
What is not to like about that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVOq61e_GSw
about 6mins in if you really want to skip over the rest of it
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

To be fair though, when he scored the try I think the majority of people in Lansdowne Road joined Nugent in roaring Tommy Booooowe. Can't help it at this point.

fourthirtythree wrote:What is he supposed to say when Tombleeboo scores? "Felix Jooooones "?
Love it - thought I was the only person who called him Tombilboo
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

actually its been Brandan Macken commentating on games last two seasons

I like how RTE are desperate to replace Hook with ROG as panto villain but get reason instead
Slight preference for Horgan in studio instead of as colour commentator
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I picked Ireland in the superbru prediction game thing. I went for Ireland by 3. I had a look at the results today. Apparently only 2% of the people who played that game picked Ireland. "Predictability! Insane upset" it reads. Great win, great performance and all that. But am I the only one shocked that the 6 Nations champions were so heavily undervalued going into a home game, despite the injuries? Even if Fiji had beaten France, I wouldn't call it an "insane upset" - Georgia beating us in the 2007 RWC would be an insane upset. Ireland beating SA? Insane?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

What a game, lads. We did almost everything right, even if it wasn't pretty. A lot of heroic performances - McGrath, POC, Ruddock, POM, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Henshaw, Bowe, Kearney and the rest of them were very good. Factor in that we had to stick to our starting XV far longer than we probably would have liked and it was a massive effort from the guys who kicked the game off.

You'd expect that a backline with guys like Sexton, Payne, Bowe, Zebo in it would be able to make serious inroads into any world backline at some points in the game, but we played it very conservative and - at times - a bit naively in the backline. Our tactic of not engaging them in the lineout/lineout maul was interesting, but I have to say it worked the entire time bar their try. It's one thing to stand off them when you're on the 10m line, but 5-8m out from the tryline - headscratcher...

Tommybowe has some wheels on him - you'd wonder if he was ahead of Murray for the chip, but who cares?

S. Africa were pants for a lot of this game. I don't think that takes the gloss off the result at all. Our linespeed (take a bow Henshaw and Payne) forced them into a lot of errors and poor decisions. We asked them to beat us and they couldn't. There was an element of rope-a-dope about it, but it was well judged and we looked pretty comfortable defending for a lot of the time.

I was hoping for Zebo to have a cracker. I actually thought he wasn't great. I know some others here thought otherwise. He was out of position a lot, as far as I could see.

Tactically though, it was a masterclass and the difference between the two teams. Not just the starting gameplan, but the way the players adapted on the pitch to the situation. S Africa at times looked like they were thrown together for the first time last week and we made them look that way.

When you think of the structures in place now in Ireland, the vast increase in player participation rates at all levels, the professionalism of the regional structures, the contribution of the schools system, increasing contribution by clubs, the academy systems, success at underage levels.... it's no coincidence that we're knocking on the door of a top 3 ranking and you'd have to say that the only thing historically that's prevented us from residing there permanently is top level coaching.

With that in place, there really is no limit for Irish rugby.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

terrific display and a terrific win your team really dished out to the boks on the weekend and fully merited the win

On that showing Ireland are really laying down a marker to be a serious contender to win the next world cup.

All blacks aside your as good as anyone else in the world right now and with Healy and SOB to come back.

No reason why you can't aim to win the whole thing.

Well played :happy clapper:
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

JB1973 wrote:terrific display and a terrific win your team really dished out to the boks on the weekend and fully merited the win

On that showing Ireland are really laying down a marker to be a serious contender to win the next world cup.

All blacks aside your as good as anyone else in the world right now and with Healy and SOB to come back.

Hard luck to Wales. How many games is it now against Aus where it's been a one-score defeat or draw? Seems like going back at least 3 or 4 years there's nothing between you but Oz manages to squeak the win every time.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

jezzer wrote:
JB1973 wrote:terrific display and a terrific win your team really dished out to the boks on the weekend and fully merited the win

Hard luck to Wales. How many games is it now against Aus where it's been a one-score defeat or draw? Seems like going back at least 3 or 4 years there's nothing between you but Oz manages to squeak the win every time.
10 games on the bounce weve lost to them and 9 of those have been by 6 points and under! Ground hog day surely our luck must change soon?