POC is in with Mal

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

jezzer wrote:Sewa,

If I recall the thread was about Mal's performances against his opponents. We seem to all agree that he outperformed the current first choice locks for England in the game against Bath, playing against a pack with 6 intnls from the 6N in it.

I agree with you that Sale are a better team than Bath. Not many prople who know rugby would say that the pack is Bath's weakness. Many would say the Bath pack is stronger than the Sale pack.

On that basis, the Bath game is arguably one of the best examples of Mal's recent excellent performances.

This is classic Munster begrudgery. You target a player you'd prefer to see a Munster player replace. You lambaste him for every fault you can think of (conveniently putting aside the deficiencies in any Munster player). The guy puts in a string of performances that earn him respect from media, fans and players. Your reaction? Admit you're wrong? Nah, he was lucky/the opposition were poor/what about X game when he didn't play well.

It's boring. Change the channel.
Bravo Jezzer. About time somebody said it. The parochialism is simply unreal.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sewa wrote:I will admit he is playing better now after his performance in the last two games. What I was referring to was the use of the word awesome. As for begrudgery the things posted by some Leinsterfans on Hayes, Strings, ROG and others is a perfect example of begrudgery so lets not restrict that particular attribute to Munster fans.
Sewa,
You're criticising someone for exaggerating a player's performance?!
Only a couple of weeks ago I took you up on your assertion that Hayes "was playing the best rugby of his life". Was that begrudgery? I'd be happy to put that to a vote, including the guys on Munsterfans who absolutely took O'Kelly apart on several threads. Hayes has had a pretty good 6N for an international prop and a great campaign considering his form for the past couple of seasons. In the same thread i said that Mal wasn't playing the best rugby of his life, but he was still the second best lock in the country.

I don't remember seeing any threads on Hayes, ROG or Strings where they were ridiculed by Leinster fans to the point of being embarrassing. ROG has taken a lot of stick in the past year. While the criticism is justified, there's not a lot of point in it seeing as there's noone else. If we can't criticise a player, have a bit of inter-provincial banter etc., forums wouldn't exist. But you guys annihilated Mal and now you've been proven completely wrong. He was the match of POC. He played DOC off the park. He showed up all those so-called experts on MF for what they were. Begrudgers.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

It isn't just some of the fans. The press do it too. In the game against Italy our entire pack (with the exception of POC) were distinctly average. The press rounded on Mal. It was lazy journalism.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

The problem with Mal is that whilst being an exceptional player he exudes laziness even when he's the most effecive player on the pitch. DOC on the other hand when he gets on has his mop of black hair which gets him noticed and then he's all over the place bobbing up and down making sure he gets noticed. He's less effective than Mal but it's not the way it appears.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Uncle Mort wrote:The problem with Mal is that whilst being an exceptional player he exudes laziness even when he's the most effecive player on the pitch. DOC on the other hand when he gets on has his mop of black hair which gets him noticed and then he's all over the place bobbing up and down making sure he gets noticed. He's less effective than Mal but it's not the way it appears.
and in the land of the Blind the one-eyed man is King... do you like your crown Morty.? :lol:
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

I think it suits me rather well - shame I have to keep it in an old dusty castle and share it with that old woman. I'm bound to catch ringworm or something
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Always knew you were just an old queen..
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote:The problem with Mal is that whilst being an exceptional player he exudes laziness even when he's the most effecive player on the pitch. DOC on the other hand when he gets on has his mop of black hair which gets him noticed and then he's all over the place bobbing up and down making sure he gets noticed. He's less effective than Mal but it's not the way it appears.
and in the land of the Blind the one-eyed man is King... do you like your crown Morty.? :lol:
And being a Turnipstani you have a natural preference for style over substance. Thus annual failure in the European cup is seen as glorious because "we fought like linginds".....when actually.....all you did was fail. BO last year was a case in point - Turnipstan were simply outclassed and their limitations exposed vs a good team. But you'd think they won the game (or even had a chance of winning the game) the way it was reported. Sure they gave everything, but they were outclassed and beaten. Hardly a cause for celebration.

But sure if 7000 of the of the 10.000 are visiting their first rugby match of the season, i supose opinions get a bit distorted...... :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

That poor horse is just skin & bones from all that flogging your doing mate