USA v All Blacks

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

finchamdl
Learner

USA v All Blacks

Post by finchamdl »

I'm really looking forward to this game. Although the ABs will obviously win I think it will be a good indicator as to just how far behind the top teams these 'second tier' sides really are. Also think its a huge credit to the USA rugby federation that they've managed to get 61,000 in for this game. Shows just how rapidly rugby is growing in the country and it should be a great event for international rugby :clap:
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: USA v All Blacks

Post by nelly the elephant »

finchamdl wrote:I'm really looking forward to this game. Although the ABs will obviously win I think it will be a good indicator as to just how far behind the top teams these 'second tier' sides really are. Also think its a huge credit to the USA rugby federation that they've managed to get 61,000 in for this game. Shows just how rapidly rugby is growing in the country and it should be a great event for international rugby :clap:
Agree on most of the above but the manner of the boning they're getting here does NOT sit well with US sports fans....43-6 to New Zealand and we're not even at h/t yet... :(
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The commentators are hilarious though.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Only saw the first 30 mins but I enjoyed the commentators, obviously doing a job for the audience whom they knew 99% of would never have seen a rugby match before. A Lot of their stuff was explaining rules and what was going on but you could see the NFL carry over using shirt numbers and player height/weight stats at every opportunity. I liked them. Whilst the game was a sell out I wonder how much it'll do for the game seeing as the Americans don't really do losing and so probably haven't gained many fans or sponsors from it. Kinda like the Italians selling out the San Siro a few years ago

On a side note, the commentators mentioned it at the time of the second US penalty that maybe they'd have been better going for the lineout and going for the try to get the crowd going. He was probably right as they were never going to win and needed to get the crowd going.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

How many touch downs did the all blacks get?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

I thought the American commentators did an outstanding job explaining the game for American newcomers while not ruining it for the regular rugby watcher. This was the perfect advertisement for rugby in the US.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Lovely tidbit from the commentators about a 2hr training session by the NZers, during which no ball touched the ground.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dont Panic!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

blockhead wrote:The commentators are hilarious though.

Not as funny as the national anthem singers!

what pub did they drag them out of :D