Ireland v Georgia

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Ireland v Georgia

Post by fourthirtythree »

This is simply ridiculous. Henshaw is starting at 13 next week. Starters in general aren't playing two weeks in a row.

Stop taking the sea lion seriously.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Donny B. wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
In fairness since BOD's retirement Joe is certainly examining his options. McFadden and Cave started v Argentina, Payne v SA and Cave starts again tomorrow. With all the talk of Henshaw (injured for summer tests) it is surprising that he has not featured at 13 yet with today in particular, being a perfect opportunity.
Joe's reasons were perfectly clear and reasonable. With Payne a doubt, he couldn't risk his only other 13 six days ahead of Australia.
I wasn't criticising Joe's selection.
I was pointing out to Suisse that just like his predecessors, Joe also picked BOD on every possible occasion when just like his predecessors he had the opportunity to also show his "interest in finding an alternative at 13",despite his more imminent retirement.
What was considered wrong by Suisse for his predecessors in a less urgent scenario, was considered right for Joe. Double standards!!!

Henshaw and Payne look a proper partnership and one that absolutely no-one predicted , bar late in the week when some privy to training sessions twigged it.
As for 433
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
In fairness since BOD's retirement Joe is certainly examining his options. McFadden and Cave started v Argentina, Payne v SA and Cave starts again tomorrow. With all the talk of Henshaw (injured for summer tests) it is surprising that he has not featured at 13 yet with today in particular, being a perfect opportunity.
Joe's reasons were perfectly clear and reasonable. With Payne a doubt, he couldn't risk his only other 13 six days ahead of Australia.
I wasn't criticising Joe's selection.
I was pointing out to Suisse that just like his predecessors, Joe also picked BOD on every possible occasion when just like his predecessors he had the opportunity to also show his "interest in finding an alternative at 13",despite his more imminent retirement.
What was considered wrong by Suisse for his predecessors in a less urgent scenario, was considered right for Joe. Double standards!!!

Henshaw and Payne look a proper partnership and one that absolutely no-one predicted , bar late in the week when some privy to training sessions twigged it.
As for 433
Re Joe and BOD. Joe persuaded him to carry on for an extra year. BOD gave him that commitment and Joe responded in kind.
This is BOD we're talking about after all.
Your post earlier about our is pretty spot on except that I think White would be a lot closer to Ross and Moore than you might think.
Losing White to Connacht (And Hines) when we were going for our three in a row was a huge factor in our failure to do so.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Poor enough 1st half with Ireland generally not putting enough phases together to break down Georgia

As expected Georgia on top at scrum time.
They have had only 3 scrums, the first 2 in the first 2 minutes, both solid and eventually nudged forward. The third Georgian scrum under their own posts after TOD's knock on was similar with Georgia getting the nudge and Kilcoyne penalised for collapsing.
Ireland have had only 4 scrums, but have been penalised twice, both times Ross the culprit. They also got a penalty when the Georgian loose head was penalised.

Lineouts have been solid, with Ireland winning 8/9 very cleanly. They had mixed it up early on, taking a few off the top and driving a few more. Unfortunately 3 drives for the line in the last five minutes were repelled through both legal and illegal means. The yellow card for cumulative penalties can be attributed to the lineout.

Ireland have conceded 6 penalties, 3 in the scrum (Ross 2 and Kilcoyne 1), Zebo and Diack both for not releasing the ball and Cave for taking the 9 out without the ball.

Georgia have conceded 9, the majority for defensive breakdown offences
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Darren Cave has been poor enough, Dave Foley has been very impressive as has Kilcoyne.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

As many alluded to opportunity knocked for various players today. Some stepped up, some didn't

Positive
Kilcoyne - carried, cleared out, scrummages well ( only 10 scrums)
Foley- bossed the lineout, carried effectively, a fair impression of a young POC ( bench next week ?)
Jones - excellent under the high ball, kicked well ( only twice but both good Garryowen's both of which he chased and won one back) and scored two tries, the first well finished in the corner, the second a run in after good support line. ( bench next week?)

Negative
Cave - poor decision making lowlighted by two poor kicks. Also gave away a penalty after had turned ball over by taking the scrumhalf without the ball.
Ryan - poor defensive decision for their try. Foley at pillar probably had his man, Ryan stepping in opened the gap for Georgia to score. Try might had been scored if he had not stepped in, it was scored when he did.
Back row in general weren't great considering the team's domination in possession.

Foley and Jones were probably players of the match.
Madigan also played well enough. Even though both his kickoffs were on the money, with Zebo contesting both and winning one, his kicking game was iffy.
He only kicked the ball four times from play.
His first was a poor decision when grubbering to touch on 7th phase in a good attacking position.
His second was an up and under, much too long although exaggerated by the lack of a kick chase. Having said that Jones' 2 up and unders were good because Jones himself chased them.
His third and fourth kicks were good long kicks looking to gain position rather than possession.
On the ball, he was a threat all the time, looking to break and as the game loosened up he made some good attacking decisions.
All in all, a fair performance which puts him firmly in front in the back up outhalf stakes.

One of those games where Joe will have learned a lot about individuals, and possibly franked his opinion on others.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

As many alluded to opportunity knocked for various players today. Some stepped up, some didn't

Positive
Munster players

Negative
Anyone who is not a Munster player

.. is what I read from that.
Last edited by outcast eddie on November 16th, 2014, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Madigan only fair?? Bullsxxt - he was really good - passing was quick and his tackling was great. His kicking was good both from hand and tee, and he controlled the game superbly.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

outcast eddie wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:As many alluded to opportunity knocked for various players today. Some stepped up, some didn't

Positive
Munster players

Negative

Yes- I got that too. And Madigan was excellent oday and should have been MOTM.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Raydollard wrote:Madigan only fair?? Bullsxxt - he was really good - passing was quick and his tackling was great. His kicking was good both from hand and tee, and he controlled the game superbly.
Taking a rare chance to agree with you on your Madigan obsession. Very impressive today.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Gas how Foley should now be on the bench. Great match and all, but it was Georgia ffs. We controlled the lineouts (no surprise), we were mullered at scrum time (disappointing, but no surprise), and we were in control in the loose (no surprise). The team did very well today, but anything less than what was produced today would have been a big disappointment.

I expect that barring injuries the matchday squad for the wallabies will be the same as that for the boks.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Thought Madigan could have used the space behind the Georgians a bit better. Jones, Foley, Madigan, kilcoyne and diack did well. Zebo passes less than fanning (just for you Suisse).
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Could see Foley on the bench next week, although the knuckledraggers will want him on the pitch ahead of Toner. Strauss could make the first 15 too. Shaggy thinks Jones could make the wing next week. Cave wont be in the 23 I bet. Very difficult to read too much into that game though.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

think we saw today a classic example of a Joe Schmidt team not wanting to give anything away (to be analyzed) the week before a big game

the only preplanned move was Donal Lenihan giving Dave Foley Man of the Match
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:think we saw today a classic example of a Joe Schmidt team not wanting to give anything away (to be analyzed) the week before a big game

Nice! :) :clap:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

artaneboy wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:think we saw today a classic example of a Joe Schmidt team not wanting to give anything away (to be analyzed) the week before a big game

not saying he didnt deserve it but sure we know what Donal is like

TOD could have gotten it too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

berniemac67 wrote:Gas how Foley should now be on the bench. Great match and all, but it was Georgia ffs. We controlled the lineouts (no surprise), we were mullered at scrum time (disappointing, but no surprise), and we were in control in the loose (no surprise). The team did very well today, but anything less than what was produced today would have been a big disappointment.

I expect that barring injuries the matchday squad for the wallabies will be the same as that for the boks.
Foley won MOTM and has completely outplayed Mike Mac this season.

He deserves a bench spot.
leinster10
Knowledgeable

Post by leinster10 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

not saying he didnt deserve it but sure we know what Donal is like

TOD could have gotten it too
Foley should start on bench next week, Joe usually picks on form, great ireland have another great option at second row
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Raydollard wrote:Madigan only fair?? Bullsxxt - he was really good - passing was quick and his tackling was great. His kicking was good both from hand and tee, and he controlled the game superbly.
His kicking was good from hand and tee.

Was it?
As I said he kicked the ball four times in play Correction he also put up a perfect box kick from the base of the ruck after 20 seconds Box kick base after kickoff. On the money as Zebo contests in the air but knocks on. decent kick
9 minutes - he grubbered to touch on 7th phase with Ireland in a good attacking position, poor decision, lost possession, poor kick
46 mins - an up and under, too long and exagerated by lack of kick chase. poor kick
52 mins - long kick in play, trying to gain position as opposed to possession, decent kick
54 mins - something similar, decent kick
His kickoffs, Ireland only had 2 were excellent. Both to the left and both contested by Zebo (1 won) and both on the money. His penalty line kicking was generally decent, made all his touches and bar one had decent distance
His place kicking stats are on paper reasonable but take away the "gimmes", i.e conversions of Jones' 2nd try, Olding and Zebo's tries and the 2 of the 3 first half penalties and the lustre is lost.

Ireland generally didn't kick the ball. Reddan also only kicked the ball 4 times ( 3 box kicks with one long clearence from base of ruck) as Ireland endeavoured and succeeded in softening up the Georgians. To say that Madigan controlled the game is setting the bar pretty low.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on November 16th, 2014, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

outcast eddie wrote:As many alluded to opportunity knocked for various players today. Some stepped up, some didn't

Positive
Munster players

Negative

Actually was commenting on Irish players and was glad to see Joe Schmidt also namecheck all three with particular praise for Foley and Jones.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on November 16th, 2014, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.