Irish Tight Head Props

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Irish Tight Head Props

Post by johng »

We are not out of the woods yet with regards to this position, but when you look at the number of players who have been capped by Ireland who are still playing Professionally......

Mike Ross
Martin Moore
Rodney Ah You
Stephen Archer
Declan Fitzpatrick
Ronan Loughney
Michael Bent

and add in

Nathan White
Tadgh Furlong
Ricky Lutton

who are as yet uncapped. It's not as bad as it was.

OK there are some in that list who are....... unlikely to add many caps barring emergencies, but we don't actually need that many.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Irish Tight Head Props

Post by artaneboy »

If say there are really only four or five any of us would be confident to see play in an international, Ross, Moore, Bent (he's worked hard), Fitzpatrick, White. Furlong will probably get there; Ah You and Archer maybe...! But, you're right, it's a decent pipeline.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:We are not out of the woods yet with regards to this position, but when you look at the number of players who have been capped by Ireland who are still playing Professionally......

Mike Ross
Martin Moore
Rodney Ah You
Stephen Archer
Declan Fitzpatrick
Ronan Loughney
Michael Bent
Em John

USA v Ireland 8/06/2013 .....

(I'm sitting here doing a very impressive impression of PO'M's angry face)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:
johng wrote:We are not out of the woods yet with regards to this position, but when you look at the number of players who have been capped by Ireland who are still playing Professionally......

Mike Ross
Martin Moore
Rodney Ah You
Stephen Archer
Declan Fitzpatrick
Ronan Loughney
Michael Bent
Em John

USA v Ireland 8/06/2013 .....

(I'm sitting here doing a very impressive impression of PO'M's angry face)
Yeah John how could you forget Tom Court :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Left out those 2 as they are currently playing outside Ireland and even less likely to add to their cap totals.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Bent starting at TH for Ireland against a top 5 team? christ no.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I'm afraid Hagan's goose is cooked. He's not rated at LI at all. Had a pretty poor first season and he's an afterthought in terms of selection this season. They didn't even start him in the LV Cup yesterday where he came on and was yellow carded.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ceemec wrote:I'm afraid Hagan's goose is cooked. He's not rated at LI at all. Had a pretty poor first season and he's an afterthought in terms of selection this season. They didn't even start him in the LV Cup yesterday where he came on and was yellow carded.
worth taking him back IMO, he'll be cheap, chance he could recapture form from before he left and we've a fair few props out injured/with heavy workload. Plus Jersey Boy didnt pan out. Low risk loan move
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jamie Hagan is obsolete, a HD-DVD prop in a Blu-Ray sport
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sean McCarthy doesn't seem to be too exciting either If he is worthy of a spot on the Leinster team then.....

Either way Ed Byrne seems to be a better option at LH and I would prefer Bent at TH to Hagan every time. Furlong too.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

simonokeeffe wrote: worth taking him back IMO, he'll be cheap, chance he could recapture form from before he left and we've a fair few props out injured/with heavy workload. Plus Jersey Boy didnt pan out. Low risk loan move
I don't know where we would fit him in. Even with our injury problems, I wouldn't have had him start any game. Bent, Furlong, Moore and Ross are all better players than him at this point. He was finally making headway after a long road and decided to leave. I questioned as to why a guy who is known to be introverted would go to London and try to start his career over again when he was making real progress and it has been a disaster of a move.

I don't think we have the space, time or necessity to start working on him all over again.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Tighthead isn't looking too bad. Ross will do a job for a while yet and theres Moore and White backing him up. Its unfortunate they're both injured at the same time. Declan Fitzpatrick is a good scrummager but made of glass. Its a pity because he is a quality prop. Ah You, Archer and Furlong seem to be of a similar standard at the moment but Furlong has a much higher ceiling.

Looking back John Hayes was there for the bones of a decade. Now Ross has been there since so for 12/13 years we've relied on 2 tightheads. Systems are in place now so I think in the next decade we should see at least one decent tighthead being developed every season and get a few more prospects like Moore and Furlong.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
ceemec wrote:I'm afraid Hagan's goose is cooked. He's not rated at LI at all. Had a pretty poor first season and he's an afterthought in terms of selection this season. They didn't even start him in the LV Cup yesterday where he came on and was yellow carded.
worth taking him back IMO, he'll be cheap, chance he could recapture form from before he left and we've a fair few props out injured/with heavy workload. Plus Jersey Boy didnt pan out. Low risk loan move
Difficult to see him getting back in in leinster. But it would probably be worth Connacht taking him back there. To be fair- his last 6 months with us was very good. I think some hands on attention would pay off- he'd be cheap to buy back too...
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Difficult to see him getting back in in leinster. But it would probably be worth Connacht taking him back there. To be fair- his last 6 months with us was very good. I think some hands on attention would pay off- he'd be cheap to buy back too...
That would be connacht who up to last week had 2 tight head props in the irish squad?
Not needed
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ah we dont have to play him ahead of anyone, would be vaguely useful squad cover while guys are away in international windows, at a push for RWC
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'm guessing Xantippe has little voodoo dolls of all the posters on this thread and is sticking needles in them about now
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:I'm guessing Xantippe has little voodoo dolls of all the posters on this thread and is sticking needles in them about now
Nah, just very sad to see where he's ended up - especially considering how well he seemed to be doing just before he left us. I find Dave Cahill's description of him to be entirely accurate, though no less hurtful for being right. I wonder if he'd stayed with us would he have had more chance of learning to adapt as other did.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If he could get a good (sports) psychologist he could still offer something
The period he played brilliantly for us was between him deciding to move and the move being announced, he has some ability but IMO its about getting his head right
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:If he could get a good (sports) psychologist he could still offer something
The period he played brilliantly for us was between him deciding to move and the move being announced, he has some ability but IMO its about getting his head right
True. The minimisation (not quite elimination) of the 'hit' and the need for better technique has hurt him- but he had ability and it's sad to see him washed up.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

artaneboy wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:If he could get a good (sports) psychologist he could still offer something
True. The minimisation (not quite elimination) of the 'hit' and the need for better technique has hurt him- but he had ability and it's sad to see him washed up.
I thought it would have helped him as the hit was what he always struggled on, scrums used to collapse like mad (on engage) when he was at TH for us