Irish Tight Head Props

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Irish Tight Head Props

Post by goreyguy »

Hagan has utterly failed to adapt to the new scrum rules. He was always more power than technique.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Maybe, just maybe he isn't much good.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

All Blacks nil wrote:Maybe, just maybe he isn't much good.
He was decent under the old rules, now he is horrible. Biggest difference? the rule change.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He isn't, and the reality is that he never was. Under the old laws there was a chance that he might someday reach a certain level of competency by virtue of his physical attributes. He hadn't by the time the laws changed and now he never will. Occasionally he flattered to deceive in the right circumstances - generally with the Ref on his side of the scrum - but ultimately he disappointed.
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
He isn't, and the reality is that he never was. Under the old laws there was a chance that he might someday reach a certain level of competency by virtue of his physical attributes. He hadn't by the time the laws changed and now he never will. Occasionally he flattered to deceive in the right circumstances - generally with the Ref on his side of the scrum - but ultimately he disappointed.
He had a very good 4 or 5 months once he announced he was going to LI. The ref was hardly around the other side all the time....

I'm not sure we want/ need him now- but you'd think there was some place for him in the Irish system.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From the INDO
IRELAND tighthead prop Mike Ross is in negotiations over a new deal with the IRFU and is hoping to extend his career by two more seasons at least.

The 34-year-old's current deal is up at the end of this season, but he is confident that he can keep going beyond the World Cup.

Ross' value to province and country was underlined last weekend as he came back from a long injury lay-off to play 74 minutes in the victory over South Africa.

"I'm actually in talks at the moment," said Ross. "I want to get that sorted. I wouldn't mind two more years. You're dealing with one person now, it seems. David Nucifora is the main man (IRFU performance director), he handles that sort of thing. So that simplifies matters a bit.

"I'm probably talking earlier than I would have been in previous seasons. They've taken stuff from previous years on board and I think it's for the better.

"You want to achieve your market value and you also want to be happy with the deal you're doing. There's a balance to be struck there too between achieving your value and where you're happy, because that's a huge part of it.

"I would never rule anything out but I'm happy here and we just won a Six Nations championship and we've a World Cup to look forward to, so. . ."
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

artaneboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
He had a very good 4 or 5 months once he announced he was going to LI. The ref was hardly around the other side all the time....

I'm not sure we want/ need him now- but you'd think there was some place for him in the Irish system.
Aah no: he'd a few good games. That's it. No good for us before signing elsewher. And no good after.

Sorry to be cruel but it is true. Connacht wouldn't want him back. Would they? Why would we? We are in danger of letting youngsters not get the games they need.

It just didn't quite work out for us with him.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

All of a sudden he has got a whole lot better.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

All Blacks nil wrote:All of a sudden he has got a whole lot better.
Nope. :roll:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/12843.php#.VGoNscmHju0

Ross is in contract negotiations at the moment. He holds all the aces as far as I can see.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

blockhead wrote:http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/12843.php#.VGoNscmHju0

Ross is in contract negotiations at the moment. He holds all the aces as far as I can see.
Ross has nothing to do with this.. Leinster with Hagan now have 4 healthy props available for selection this weekend. No depth left with Ross/McGrath away with Ireland and Healy/Moore/Byrne injured.
Last edited by goreyguy on November 17th, 2014, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

:lol: Apparently we did want him back!

Let's just hope he transfers the form of that four or five games to now...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Cian Healy. How soon we forget.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Now they he is back in Ireland and is obviously IQ surely he comes into Joe's plans. The cupboard is bare at TH. Joe obviously doesn't rate Archer, and Hagan knows Joe's system.
If Moore doesn't get back it could be Ah You or Hagan for the MD23 come Six Nations time.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'm just worried what other signings MOC is going to make based on my suggestions here :?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:I'm just worried what other signings MOC is going to make based on my suggestions here :?
Du Prezz, Henshaw & someone with "lightning pace on the wing"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

All Blacks nil wrote:Now they he is back in Ireland and is obviously IQ surely he comes into Joe's plans. The cupboard is bare at TH. Joe obviously doesn't rate Archer, and Hagan knows Joe's system.
If Moore doesn't get back it could be Ah You or Hagan for the MD23 come Six Nations time.
Unfortunately for Hagan, Joe remembers him too.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

cormac wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:Now they he is back in Ireland and is obviously IQ surely he comes into Joe's plans. The cupboard is bare at TH. Joe obviously doesn't rate Archer, and Hagan knows Joe's system.
Unfortunately for Hagan, Joe remembers him too.
That's very true! I'd say that Archer and Hagan are on a par on Joe's prop-grading table. Archer might even be ahead.... :shock:
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

I still think he can offer something but we need him to perform for Leinster first before we even consider Ireland.

I'll say this much- he's due as much consideration for the TH prop cover spot as Rodney or Archer!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Archer and Rodney have outplayed him in the last 18 months..