Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland v Australia thread

Post by cormac »

outcast eddie wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: Matt Williams on 2nd captains saying he's heard rumours about Oz putting out a 2nd string team v Ireland. Expect Cooper & Genia to both start.
With England in their rwc group, a win in Twickenham now is the sole focus of this tour.
I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Stuart Lancaster. 4 consecutive matches against NZ which isn't going to do a lot for anyone's win percentage, then the second ranked team in the world arrives in town having just been taught a lesson in tactics across the water and looking to restore their reputations, your Tier 2 match up next is against Samoa and is in no way the easy number that the casual supporters think it is going to be, and you get to round it off against a team that is targeting the match to make a statement ahead of you meeting again at the RWC.
I was just thinking the same thing this morning on the school run. He's been getting a rough time in the media the past few days with talk of a 'crisis in the squad' etc. Lazy journalism going for the easy headlines as usual. I suppose we can expect criticism of his 6 year contract soon enough. I genuinely hope things pick up for him (but maybe not too much) because he's a bloody good coach who doesn't have a good enough fly half to make his team tick.
He's a victim of the unrealistic expectations built up around the squad by the press following that win over New Zealand a couple of years back. Even with some key injuries (Corbisiero, Cole, Launchbury, Parling) they still have a very good pack. Their back-line is a bit of a mess though, not helped by the poor-to-awful form of Care and Farrell. They seem stuck between two stools in the three-quarters and I suspect they still don't know their best line-up there. A home World Cup means they're going to get even more press attention than normal so would expect any losses in the remaining Autumn games and the 6N to be spun as a further crisis.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

On the point about not knowing their best line up,I thought it was bizarre that he threw Tuilagi in against Italy when Burrell was probably the best player on the pitch. Now Tuliagi did make a couple of important plays but he had just returned from injury and I saw no reason to sub Burrell when he was playing so well, he seemed bemused too when he went to the bench. I think that's just one example of Lancaster fixating on a selection when the correct answer is right under his nose.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From Planet Rugby
Payne out of clash with Australia

18th November 2014 13:54

Ireland and Ulster centre Jared Payne is out of this weekend's Test match with the Wallabies in Dublin on Saturday.

Payne was injured on his debut for Ireland in the win over South Africa earlier this month.

A sprained foot will deny Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt the chance to reunite Payne with Robbie Henshaw in midfield, with one of Gordon D'Arcy or Darren Cave likely to come in after featuring against Georgia.

Payne is not expected to be sidelined for a long period of time and has returned to Ulster for treatment, with his team-mate Stuart Olding another possible option in the centres.

Leinster forward Mike McCarthy has returned to his province after suffering a concussion against Georgia, ruling him out for this weekend.

Ireland however are optimistic about the fitness of Rory Best, who remains in contention to face the Wallabies.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Think it will be Darce and Henshaw so. Henshaw v Kuridrani could produce some fairly epic hits.

Foley on the bench instead of McCathy, which may have happened anyway.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Pity about Payne. I like the look of Henshaw at 12.

Ideally you would like to make a direct personnel change rather than personnel and positional changes to replace one centre. Darcy showed a surprising lack of confidence in his own pace last weekend when presented with a gilt-edged chance to score. I would not have him at 13 and for that reason Cave is not an option after his display last weekend, where poor decisions and poor passing blighted his game. Darcy inside Henshaw looks the most likely partnership although Madigan/Henshaw would be my preference.

Henshaw and Payne could be a decent partnership. It is a pity they haven't got another chance to play together in what will most likely be a different type of game.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

D'arcy and Olding. You heard it here first.

And possibly last.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I think we'll go with Henshaw thanks Dave.

Kuridrani v Olding?

Olding is a smashing player. He may end up with "Madigan syndrome" ie. being too good at too many positions for his own good. His chance will come. What position it's at is another matter and will be the source of much internet discussion for years to come. 10? 12? 13? 15? Probably 22 for a while.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:I think we'll go with Henshaw thanks Dave.

Kuridrani v Olding?

Olding is a smashing player. He may end up with "Madigan syndrome" ie. being too good at too many positions for his own good. His chance will come. What position it's at is another matter and will be the source of much internet discussion for years to come. 10? 12? 13? 15? Probably 22 for a while.
Some people have a limp, some people have red hair, some people are good singers and Schmidt picks D'arcy. Its what he does. His gameplan whilst in Ireland has been based around him.

Kuridrani is big, quick and really rather stupid. Clever beats stupid every day of the week and Olding is very, clever. He will be Irelands outside centre for the world cup.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Some people have a limp what?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Can we call him Youngding for a while?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Isn't it just great to finally have options in the centre?

Real options who all offer something different, and at least 2 who can now flick between 12 and 13 if required.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yes. Absolutely! "The long shadow of Bod" retired. Luke Marshall faded to injuries and lack of form. Step up Youngding, Henshaw and Payne to complement Darce.

In a few years I can see Notquitesoyoungding (jaysus this is getting tiresome already) and Henshaw mixing it up in centrefield.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Possibly the 5/8ths combo of Madigan and Middleding with the bosh of Henshaw outside them? If that is still a fashionable way of playing rugby in the "post Sexton era"
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:On the point about not knowing their best line up,I thought it was bizarre that he threw Tuilagi in against Italy when Burrell was probably the best player on the pitch. Now Tuliagi did make a couple of important plays but he had just returned from injury and I saw no reason to sub Burrell when he was playing so well, he seemed bemused too when he went to the bench. I think that's just one example of Lancaster fixating on a selection when the correct answer is right under his nose.
TBF Schmidt would throw some players straight back in too and IMO Tuilagi would be one of them. If not to start then onto the bench. I thought shoehorning him into the side against NZ on the wing was bizarre. Especially since the wings aren't meant to come off there wing looking for work(the way Ashton used to under Johnson), seems pointless having him hanging out on the wing. I get what you're saying though about being fixating on a selection. Think Goode is a better example though.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Would much prefer Henshaw at 13 if Darcy is 12 as hes the much quicker man and its his natural position

Olding and Henshaw would be interesting to see but doubt it myself

So 12, 13 (one of which is Henshaw) and 23 seem to be the only selection calls in backs

7/20 in the forwards

Id go with TOD as the only natural 7 we have
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:Can we call him Youngding for a while?
Think Youngin' works better. Depending on how he gets on at test level Midling might be appropiate.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote:I think we'll go with Henshaw thanks Dave.

Kuridrani v Olding?

Some people have a limp, some people have red hair, some people are good singers and Schmidt picks D'arcy. Its what he does. His gameplan whilst in Ireland has been based around him.

Kuridrani is big, quick and really rather stupid. Clever beats stupid every day of the week and Olding is very, clever. He will be Irelands outside centre for the world cup.
He also picked the biggest ever (AFAIK) Irish back line to play against the Boks..........

I think he'll want to see more of Olding at 13 before he trusts him there because he's small and inexperienced. BOD and Darce often got knocked back byt he likes of fat Basteraud so that mightn't count against him as much as I and others think.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote: He also picked the biggest ever (AFAIK) Irish back line to play against the Boks..........

I think he'll want to see more of Olding at 13 before he trusts him there because he's small and inexperienced. BOD and Darce often got knocked back byt he likes of fat Basteraud so that mightn't count against him as much as I and others think.
I'd say size didn't matter (ooeerrr), it was the players, not their bulk. He has picked both big and small players and big and small overall backlines in his time - its the size of the fight in the dog that matters to Schmidt
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cheika on Off The Ball now!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Roll the dice, Henshaw 12, Olding 13.
Not going to happen though.