RWC Ireland v France October 2015

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

CollieOD

RWC Ireland v France October 2015

Post by CollieOD »

Has anyone managed to get accommodation in around the Cardiff area for Oct 10th and 11th 2015 - it seems the cost of this trip is going to be astronomical!!!

We managed to get something in Bridgend - but its 20 miles away

Average hotel prices are near €400 per night - for the few that actually have rooms left. Guesthouses are all packed already as well.

Vamos los azules
Mullet

Re: RWC Ireland v France October 2015

Post by Vamos los azules »

The short answer is no. Cardiff is bad at the best of times but for a match like this it's just not worth it so we've given up. Looking like heading back up to London that night to avail of free accommodation at my brother's place instead.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

Last time I was in Cardiff for a game we ended up getting a taxi back to London. That wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than a Cardiff hotel.
Bluesteel
Beginner

Post by Bluesteel »

If it's of any use to you, you might still get a room for the 10th in the Premier Inn Cardiff North but the 11th is probably full.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Try Gloucester as it has the last train out of Cardiff at night, usually a few use it for 6 nations matches.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Could try Newport, only 20 mins on train. One of our party stayed in the Queens Hotel there for the Heineken Final back in May. Had a look on laterooms - £140 for 2 nights for the 10th and 11th.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Bristol is a good option
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I'm staying in the Premier Inn in Caerphilly about 10km North of Cardiff. Could well be full now but I got a twin room with my mate for £70 between us.

Although his suggestion was just hope we win, stay out all night and get the flight the next day.

To be honest I still think the hotel is his back up plan...
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Or stay in the seaside town of Barrry, don't forget to rewatch Gavin and Stacy before your trip, then wander around asking locals "what's occuring" - Fun times.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

domhnallj wrote:Bristol is a good option
We're doing this - train in and out of Cardiff on the day. After many years trying various options in the South of Wales we came to the conclusion is't best to get out
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

The train option is best as they run virtually every hour but there are sometimes huge queues to get out of Cardiff. Trace the line north and prices will drop the further you go. If you're driving over via Holyhead and approaching from the north you can stay somewhere like Abergavenny for peanuts and just grab the train.

Taxi's to London!!!!! :shock:
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

A fella I work with said him and his mates got a 6 seater cab from Cardiff to London and it was about £40 each, not exactly bank breaking stuff considering the price of trains.

Flights are awkward as hell at the moment. Aer Lingus flights to Cardiff and are really expensive and Ryanair don't fly there. Ryanair flight times into Bristol on the day don't suit for the match and the Aer Lingus ones are pricey too.

Currently thinking of flying to Stansted and getting the train to Cardiff. 3 hour train after a 9 o clock arrival gives us plenty of time to lounge before kick off. Might fly home the same way or from Bristol
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

outcast eddie wrote:Taxi's to London!!!!! :shock:
It was a big one - almost like a minibus, so not quite as cripplingly expensive per person as you might think.

The killer was when on the motorway at 2am and we asked the driver why he was plodding along at 55 mph rather than letting rip on an empty road. We offered to pony up for the extra cash is our was fuel economy he was worried about. Nope - it was limited to 55 mph. Such a slow journey.
osh
Beginner

Post by osh »

For anyone interested, llantwit Major is situated approx 20 miles West of Cardiff, it has a small hotel ( West House Hotel ) and numerous b & b's. Good train service direct to Cardiff Central station, ( about 600 meters from the Millennium Stadium ) good bus service also. You would be made most welcome pre or post match at Llantwit Major Rugby Club for sure ( try contacting them for tips, they have a twitter and facebook site ) plenty of pubs serving decent food too. You could try accommodation at the Farmers Barns ( see below)

Farmers Barns Holiday Cottages Heritage Coast South Wales
www.farmersbarns.co.uk/
Heritage Coast Vale of Glamorgan, Self-catering Holiday Cottages Wales, Pets Welcome, Llantwit Major Holiday Cottages,

Another nice town within 15 miles of Cardiff is Cowbridge ( Bear Hotel ) and also a number of good b & b's. Good direct bus links to Cardiff ( about 35 minute trip )

Good luck !
Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Post by Rogocoko »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
A fella I work with said him and his mates got a 6 seater cab from Cardiff to London and it was about £40 each, not exactly bank breaking stuff considering the price of trains.

Flights are awkward as hell at the moment. Aer Lingus flights to Cardiff and are really expensive and Ryanair don't fly there. Ryanair flight times into Bristol on the day don't suit for the match and the Aer Lingus ones are pricey too.

Currently thinking of flying to Stansted and getting the train to Cardiff. 3 hour train after a 9 o clock arrival gives us plenty of time to lounge before kick off. Might fly home the same way or from Bristol
Bear in mind you need to get from Stansted to Paddington to catch the train to Cardiff... which is a trek in itself.
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Rogocoko wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Bear in mind you need to get from Stansted to Paddington to catch the train to Cardiff... which is a trek in itself.
Fly into Heathrow... Heathrow express goes into Paddington
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

The Doc wrote: Fly into Heathrow... Heathrow express goes into Paddington
££££££££££££££££££
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Hornet wrote:
££££££££££££££££££
Getting from Stansted to Paddington is not much cheaper - between Stansted Express and tube
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

The Doc wrote:
Hornet wrote:
££££££££££££££££££
Getting from Stansted to Paddington is not much cheaper - between Stansted Express and tube
But you can get to Hayes/Slough/Reading to pick up Wales bound trains for a fraction of the price. All of the UK Rail fraternity will tell you that Heathrow Express is a massive rip off. Heathrow Connect to Hayes, Train Hayes to Reading, Train Reading to Cardiff. 7X series Bus Heathrow Bus Station to Slough, Train Slough to Reading, Train Reading to Cardiff. Railair Bus Heathrow Bus Station to Reading, Train Reading to Cardiff. (I've use 7X Bus and it's predecessor regularly, for the last 30 years).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Those "Express" thingys are a rip ok. I got a day pass on Friday that covered all buses all tubes and the train from Gatwick to Victoria for less than the price of a "Gatwick Express" Used it for 3 tube journeys and a bus ride in addition to the Train.