Rory Best

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Re: Rory Best

Post by The Anathemata »

I was at the game and directly in front of two of the errant line-outs of which Best was certainly to blame. One was not straight, while the other lacked the elevation and pace to hit the target (POM, iirc).

None of our frontline hookers are particularly great at darts. Cronin's great in the loose, but a liability in the scrum, when it comes to hooking. Best is a beast at the breakdown, while Strauss covers all bases, without being the best at any.

In terms of darts the best I've seen this season is Casey, but I don't know if he's any good in the scrum. Seems to school re a fair few tries - two at the weekend it seems.
WarPoodle
Learner

Post by WarPoodle »

Ok, so my follow up question is come the 6 Nations are we sticking with the Best / Cronin combo or would you prefer to see Strauss / Cronin. Cronin being certain to be in the squad due to his ability to run amok like a Rhino in a china shop. Obviously this is all fully dependent on who is fit, and is playing well etc..

Personally, I'd like to see Strauss in there (though even as I type it I'm second guessing myself), and that's mainly due to the fact that time and again, for Ulster and Ireland, I have seen Best have terrible days. (Normally these days are either preceded or followed by days that Best has had amazing games). I guess I'm just sick of the inconsistency!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

As far as I understand, there is a fundamental problem with his throwing that goes all the back to his serious neck injury. This predates the Lions tour even, and isn't correctable. See here: http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... 40#p546270

It's a huge shame, because he is an incredible hooker in every other way. Probably still the right selection to start, all considered.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

With Henry likely to be out for the 6 nations, I'd be very surprised if you didn't start with Best his work at the breakdown is like having an extra openside in the team.

Considering his injuries and his dip in form in 2013, I think he's made a terrific come back, fair play to the fella
WarPoodle
Learner

Post by WarPoodle »

Same could be said about Strauss... :-D
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

or Sean O'Brien
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon