Rory Best

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

WarPoodle
Learner

Rory Best

Post by WarPoodle »

First time poster here.. So be gentle!

But is there anyone else thinking that Rory Best's days as 1st choice Hooker for Ireland are numbered? Brilliant as ever in the loose, but time and again for Ulster and Ireland (not to mention the Lions), he just has absolute mares with his throwing.

He had a number of opportunities with the Lions to stake a claim for the number 2 jersey but couldn't take it away from two other very mediocre team mates.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Rory Best

Post by Flash Gordon »

You almost hope that all the players best days are numbered because we have good players already and if the players coming in are even better that's outstanding! I like Best, again, he had a double digit tackle count yesterday, I think he's fantastic at the breakdown, is a massive on field leader and scrummages well. Sometimes his throwing is a little wayward but the same is true of Cronin. Think with Best, Cronin and Strauss we are very very well disposed at number 2. Joe has always been a Strauss fan, it'll be interesting to see what happens when he gets a run of games.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Still the best hooker we have when everything is taken into account.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I think his scrummaging ability also has to be taken into account and I know he's rated in that regard.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If he doesnt sort it out he will be dropped (for Cronin), thankfully we're not under EOS anymore
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
WarPoodle
Learner

Post by WarPoodle »

Is he though? I think I counted 4 (5?) lineouts lost on Saturday. Anytime he plays, I pray that's it's the best Best that plays, and not the one that can't throw straight or hit his man.

Don't get me wrong, the man is a fantastic leader, and animal in the loose but his bread and butter is lineouts, and whenever he's throwing I'm never as confident as I should be with a 1st choice hooker.

So if we agree that Cronin will either start on the field or the bench, does that mean it's between Strauss or Best.
Last edited by WarPoodle on November 24th, 2014, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I wonder if Joe ever looked at giving the throwing duties to another player - would be interesting to see if any of our props could throw
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Xanthippe wrote:I wonder if Joe ever looked at giving the throwing duties to another player - would be interesting to see if any of our props could throw
I've thought about this too but once you do that you're missing a very effective lifter in the line. Not point giving it to the row or flankers as the tend to be the ones going up for the ball. I believe back in the day it used to be wingers to throw the ball in but in the modern game you don't really want one of the quick lads tied up if the chance to spin it wide is there. I think this is the main reason hookers are throwers - short, slower than backs and not as strong as props.

Best tends to get better with a run of games so I'd be fairly confident in his throwing abilities come 6 nations time provided he stays fit.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

jimbobjoe wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:I wonder if Joe ever looked at giving the throwing duties to another player - would be interesting to see if any of our props could throw
I've thought about this too but once you do that you're missing a very effective lifter in the line. Not point giving it to the row or flankers as the tend to be the ones going up for the ball. I believe back in the day it used to be wingers to throw the ball in but in the modern game you don't really want one of the quick lads tied up if the chance to spin it wide is there. I think this is the main reason hookers are throwers - short, slower than backs and not as strong as props.

Best tends to get better with a run of games so I'd be fairly confident in his throwing abilities come 6 nations time provided he stays fit.
But if you use a prop to throw would you not replace him in the lineout with the non throwing hooker? I'd imagine Best and Cronin aren't far off being as strong as the props
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Xanthippe wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:

But if you use a prop to throw would you not replace him in the lineout with the non throwing hooker? I'd imagine Best and Cronin aren't far off being as strong as the props
Not so sure.. They're a good bit smaller than pretty much all the props involved with Ireland. Obviously this doesn't relate directly to lifting ability but for arguments sake it's probably a decent enough indicator.

Add this to the mess if you want to sub your designated thrower.. Does the present hooker now throw only to be subbed off again for a third thrower? It alters the continuity of the lineout too much and has the potential to create internal confusion. Direct swaps make sense in terms of roles and continuity on field.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I think it'd cause too much hassle but what you could do....is play a bit of a game for ten mins every few weeks where you test everyone's knowledge of the line out by just mixing up the players at random. That way you might see that someone has a talent for it and could step up in a crisis like Healy and SOB did in a game a few years ago.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

or just fit the radars like Donal Lenihan is always on about
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

going by interview with GT in IT O'Connell seems to be taking some of the blame on where he's calling the throws
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

A bit harsh I think. He had the a slight case of the yips at the weekend having not played in a while, but I'd still be happier with a yippy Best throwing instead of a normal Cronin. Cronin having a great day is better, but that is rare. Plus, Cronin is fantastic off the for impact - that should be his role for Ireland IMHO.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

simonokeeffe wrote:going by interview with GT in IT O'Connell seems to be taking some of the blame on where he's calling the throws
deflection i think, looks like poc is taking one for the team in public. in private i am sure that best will blame himself even if team mates and management don't - i expect he will be working even harder than usual on throwing as a result.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

berniemac67 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:going by interview with GT in IT O'Connell seems to be taking some of the blame on where he's calling the throws
deflection i think, looks like poc is taking one for the team in public. in private i am sure that best will blame himself even if team mates and management don't - i expect he will be working even harder than usual on throwing as a result.
I think O'Connell is just reflecting the reality that each instance of a successful lineout has at least three elements - thrower, receiver and supporter - and thats at its most basic level. If things go wrong its rarely the fault of one individual, and even when it is, there are things that can be done to alleviate that, increase the amount of banker calls, call a stunt line out etc until the unit confidence has been built back up
I have Bumbleflex
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:
I think O'Connell is just reflecting the reality that each instance of a successful lineout has at least three elements - thrower, receiver and supporter - and thats at its most basic level. If things go wrong its rarely the fault of one individual, and even when it is, there are things that can be done to alleviate that, increase the amount of banker calls, call a stunt line out etc until the unit confidence has been built back up[/quote][/quote][/quote]

true, but the thrower will feel responsibilty whatever the talk is afterwards. if poc is acknowledging that his calling was off, this provides confirmation that there was a problem in one of those three elements.

the thrower only gets 100% reliable feedback from his input to the system when his throw is taken where it is intended. any other outcome and he doesn't know if his throw was accurate or not - even if there are other system failures identified.

PS - apologies for ballsing up the quotes here. edit won't permit me to fix them

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:
I think O'Connell is just reflecting the reality that each instance of a successful lineout has at least three elements - thrower, receiver and supporter - and thats at its most basic level. If things go wrong its rarely the fault of one individual, and even when it is, there are things that can be done to alleviate that, increase the amount of banker calls, call a stunt line out etc until the unit confidence has been built back up
berniemac67 wrote:
true, but the thrower will feel responsibilty whatever the talk is afterwards. if poc is acknowledging that his calling was off, this provides confirmation that there was a problem in one of those three elements.

the thrower only gets 100% reliable feedback from his input to the system when his throw is taken where it is intended. any other outcome and he doesn't know if his throw was accurate or not - even if there are other system failures identified.
berniemac67 wrote:
PS - apologies for ballsing up the quotes here. edit won't permit me to fix them
Yes it will.... :)
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

johng wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:
Yes it will.... :)
I'm even stupider than I thought I was :o

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

But no one likes a smart arse.