Ireland legend Jack Kyle Passes Away

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Ireland legend Jack Kyle Passes Away

Post by Dave Cahill »

Former Ireland Grand Slam winner Jack Kyle has died at the age of 88.

Kyle, who was voted Ireland’s greatest player of all time in a 2002 poll and won 46 caps, died peacefully in his sleep at his home in Bryansford in County Down on Thursday night surrounded by his family.

The fly-half was at pitchside at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff when Ireland ended a 61-year wait for the Grand Slam in 2009.

Kyle also represented the Lions and the Barbarians, before retiring to concentrate on his work as a doctor.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/irish-int ... ies-at-88/
I have Bumbleflex
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Re: Ireland legend Jack Kyle Passes Away

Post by All Blacks nil »

I never met the man, yet I have known him all my life, if that makes sense.

To a young rugby kid he was a mystical figure, and we would catch glimpses of his brilliance in old grainy black and white footage. I was coached by one of his 1947 GS teammates and his mantra was to attack spaces not faces, if you did something good, you were told that Jackie Kyle wouldn't have done it better.

It was great to see many generations of rugby fan get to know him during the 2009 GS, and the deserved respect he was afforded by one and all.

Ar Dheis De go raibh a ainm.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

A sombre note in what was a promising Friday.

I am just glad he passed seeing his country in arguably the best shape it has ever been since his day.

A fitting parting gift I feel

Thanks for everything Mr. Kyle
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Sad news.

Met him the night of the Grand Slam win in 2009 as he was on the same flight back to Ireland. The man cemented his legend status by being in fantastic shape at that point compared to...pretty much everyone! He had some serious stamina for the age of him. Personally I was in an absolute heap by that stage.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A genius and a gentlemen. We shall not see his like again.
"I never met the man, yet I have known him all my life,"
is a very apt quotation from All Blacks Nil.

This sums up the relationship with Jack Kyle for generations of Irish supporters. Fortunately in more recent years - since 2009 - I did get to meet him and he was as sharp in his rugby analysis as he was a gentleman in his courtesy. He absolutely loved Brian O'Driscoll. both as rugby player and individual.

To his family and friends, you have our thoughts and good wishes. He will never be forgotten.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A genius and a gentlemen. We shall not see his like again.
"I never met the man, yet I have known him all my life,"
is a very apt quotation from All Blacks Nil.

This sums up the relationship with Jack Kyle for generations of Irish supporters. Fortunately in more recent years - since 2009 - I did get to meet him and he was as sharp in his rugby analysis as he was a gentleman in his courtesy. He absolutely loved Brian O'Driscoll. both as rugby player and individual.

To his family and friends, you have our thoughts and good wishes. He will never be forgotten.
osh
Beginner

Post by osh »

Had the great pleasure of meeting and talking with him during my time whilst working in the mining industry in Zambia. A wonderfully modest man, and loved and respected for his medical work on the Copperbelt. Very well respected and admired by his opponents and it was great to hear that the immortal Bleddyn Williams rated him as a truly gifted player, one of the best ever. RIP.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

RIP
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

They simply don't make players, or indeed men, like him anymore.

RIP