Sexto out till Feb

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Sexto out till Feb

Post by OTT »

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 93,00.html

Ireland fly-half Jonathan Sexton has been ruled out until February 14 next year following a series of headaches and nausea.

L'Equipe report that Sexton has been visiting a neurologist in Paris on numerous occasions since he suffered a concussion in the Test win over Australia.

Dr. Jean-François Cherman has now stood Sexton down until that February date in order to ensure he fully recovers.

The Ireland number ten is set to return to Leinster next season after two years in Paris.

Sexton is allowed to train with his team-mates, but with no contact.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Re: Sexto out till Feb

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Balls. 14th is the France game. And it will be the first bit of game time he will have gotten in 3 months (assuming this schedule sticks)
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Rule him out of the France game I reckon. Schmidt may even spare him during the 6N
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Will be good to give another 10 a run in meaningful fixtures.

Also very good to see them taking no risks and looking after his head.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paranoia aside the leaps and bounds regarding treatment of concussion last year or two are great to see

can see Madigan starting at 10 for us on Joes orders in 2 or 3 out of Munster/Ulster/Cardiff
we should still be able to see off Italy but his lack of gametime will be a worry (but his welfare comes first)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Logorrhea wrote:Will be good to give another 10 a run in meaningful fixtures.

Also very good to see them taking no risks and looking after his head.
Yeah, it certainly does that alright! It also makes a mess of our chance of holding the 6N title which is a pity. But hopefully we will be a bit less dependent on Sexton come the world cup.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

simonokeeffe wrote:paranoia aside the leaps and bounds regarding treatment of concussion last year or two are great to see

can see Madigan starting at 10 for us on Joes orders in 2 or 3 out of Munster/Ulster/Cardiff
we should still be able to see off Italy but his lack of gametime will be a worry (but his welfare comes first)
Joe categorically denied having any influence on provincial team selection. Obviously there is an element of having to say that. But given how set in his ways MOC is of picking the team he wants, I can't see Joe having a huge amount of influence
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:paranoia aside the leaps and bounds regarding treatment of concussion last year or two are great to see

Joe categorically denied having any influence on provincial team selection. Obviously there is an element of having to say that. But given how set in his ways MOC is of picking the team he wants, I can't see Joe having a huge amount of influence
I guess we will see won't we?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Rob Penney I think was the one (not Joe) who blurted out provinces get free hand for HC but Ireland can make requests for league games, hence Gopperth not starting until Toulon game despite being the annointed one
Dont let the nice guy act fool ye, if Joe wants Madigan at 10 in a few games he'll be there and if he is we also know its not cos MOC wants him there
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Midi Olympique say that J10 is expected to be selected to play against Toulouse on Dec28th. via Gavin Mortimer who is a journalist in France
Get in the f%~king bag.
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

The fact that he can still train, albeit without contact, is surely still a plus...?

Good to see head injuries are being taking seriously though.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Slipper1 wrote:Midi Olympique say that J10 is expected to be selected to play against Toulouse on Dec28th. via Gavin Mortimer who is a journalist in France
He can't, unless someone has been telling porkies. The 12-week layoff is mandatory, not something subject to cognitive tests, is it not?

So, if he does return, do one/two of the reported concussions just get forgotten about?!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

meinster wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:Midi Olympique say that J10 is expected to be selected to play against Toulouse on Dec28th. via Gavin Mortimer who is a journalist in France
He can't, unless someone has been telling porkies. The 12-week layoff is mandatory, not something subject to cognitive tests, is it not?

So, if he does return, do one/two of the reported concussions just get forgotten about?!
I would imagine its a movable feast. Surely the timeframe will be reassessed if he's fine earlier than expected?

I'd rather that than have him come back on the 14th Feb regardless of whether he's fine or not, which is entirely possible.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the 12 weeks was medical advice
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Mickado wrote:The fact that he can still train, albeit without contact, is surely still a plus...?

Good to see head injuries are being taking seriously though.
Not quite. ROG quoted over the weekend that JS is experiencing headaches even during running. While it's not during every session it sounds serious enough if that's the case.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Was there not supposed to be an announcement today about when he'll be back?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He was to see the doc today. Joe said there would be an announcement after the game I think.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Fingers crossed it's all good.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen