6 Nations 2015

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: 6 Nations 2015

Post by jezzer »

offshorerules wrote:http://balls.ie/rugby/256892-ian-ritchie-rfu/

This is not something you would ever expect to hear from Irish sports administrators but oddly I kind of admire the guy for coming out and saying it.
Publicly pointing fingers directly at the players for underperformance is not a great idea. Sure do it in private. Sure come out publicly and say that English Rugby and the RFU needs to raise its standards across the board to make sure England id reaching the standards it expects. That he needs to do a better job as well as the team and its coaches.

But for a blazer to come out and say the players weren't trying hard enough or good enough is a bad plan all round. Especially when you aren't a rugby guy yourself, so much as chief money-maker.

Doesn't do the RFU's hand in the club:country war over players a lot of good either.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

jezzer wrote:
offshorerules wrote:http://balls.ie/rugby/256892-ian-ritchie-rfu/

This is not something you would ever expect to hear from Irish sports administrators but oddly I kind of admire the guy for coming out and saying it.
Publicly pointing fingers directly at the players for underperformance is not a great idea. Sure do it in private. Sure come out publicly and say that English Rugby and the RFU needs to raise its standards across the board to make sure England id reaching the standards it expects. That he needs to do a better job as well as the team and its coaches.

But for a blazer to come out and say the players weren't trying hard enough or good enough is a bad plan all round. Especially when you aren't a rugby guy yourself, so much as chief money-maker.

Doesn't do the RFU's hand in the club:country war over players a lot of good either.
Where did he point the finger at anyone? He just said 'England as a country'. He didn't say they weren't trying hard enough either or that they weren't good enough just that the result was not good enough. Which I think is fair enough.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

After reading that on Ball.ie
Fair play to him, some pretty stupid players come out embarrassing statements after being pipped for the cup - this guy says thats down to them, nobody else.

After being so completely beaten in Dublin, Its amazing that the likes of Mike Brown think its all Scotland and Italy's fault.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

He used the word "bleating". I'd say it was a response to those embarrassing post-match comments which go against everything Lancaster has been trying to achieve over the last few years.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Think a little bit too much ignoring of positions there - not really an option to select a fb at wing imo. There might be a case for switching flankers (argument for Robshaw at 6) but I don't think an 8 should be switched to flank, partiocularly someone like Parisse who has never
played anywhere other than 8.

Don't particularly mind switching centres but can't see how you can't select Joseph - top try scorer, great in attack and really wasn't shown upo in defence at all
Liam Williams (might have let my hatred of him cloud some judgement)
FELIX JONES :P

IMO Roberts and Henshaw were the two best centres

Parisse would be an oustanding 6
Well at least Jones and Williams spent time in both positions - Hogg didn't. While Williams is excellent the second half v Italy really isn't a judge of anything given the way it played out

Henshaw & Roberts - really??????
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:Parisse would probably make an outstanding full back but to play him there away from his best position would be idiocy.
its to accommodate Vunipola at 8

Nigel Owens can referee this imaginary match though

RE Henshaw: he was superb all tournament let alone for 21 year old arguably playing out of position, had 2nd highest defenders beaten going into final round which is great work from a 12 especially in a team kicking the leather off the ball
Roberts defence was amazing, still cant pass, but look at the Murray Kinsella pieces on his defence
same with 6s no 13 stood out for me
Joseph got 3/4 tries in facile massacres of the two weakest teams in Twickenham, the toughest game England had he went missing
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Roberts and henshaw would be a terrific centre pairing, I think henshaw/scott Williams would be a class pairing to.

number 8 is a tough one, billy v makes some great yards, toby f is a total work horse as is heaslip (in a different way), where as Parisse has the moments of skill and magic no other 8 in Europe can offer.

Any of those could be selected for this team, a back row of SOB,Warburton and Toby F would be my preferred choice with Billy V coming off the bench.

Although a back row of POM,Robshaw and Parisse would be some trio as well
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

olaf the fat wrote:After reading that on Ball.ie
Fair play to him, some pretty stupid players come out embarrassing statements after being pipped for the cup - this guy says thats down to them, nobody else.

After being so completely beaten in Dublin, Its amazing that the likes of Mike Brown think its all Scotland and Italy's fault.
Especially with the 3 poor tries they conceded against Italy and the poor finishing that cost them at least 3 more tries against Scotland.

The lack of self-awareness in this group should be Lancaster's biggest worry.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

simonokeeffe wrote: RE Henshaw: he was superb all tournament let alone for 21 year old arguably playing out of position, had 2nd highest defenders beaten going into final round which is great work from a 12 especially in a team kicking the leather off the ball
Roberts defence was amazing, still cant pass, but look at the Murray Kinsella pieces on his defence
same with 6s no 13 stood out for me
Joseph got 3/4 tries in facile massacres of the two weakest teams in Twickenham, the toughest game England had he went missing
V strange logic on Joseph

England beat Scotland 25-13 - not exactly a facile massacre
But allowing for that - Joseph scored 3 tries v Scotland & Italy, no other centre scored more than 1 v the whipping boys of the tournament (in fact I don't think any other centre scored more than 1 in the tournament (maybe Morisi?). Didn't score v France but was excellent. Toughest games he had were v Wales (where he scored) and Ireland - really really don't think he went missing v us - we just ground them oput of the game and he didn't get a chance (and plenty of others had 1 or more bad games (Sexton and Ford for one). His defence, where there were some questions held up as well - missed some tackles but definbitely not a weakpoint (niot at the standard of Roberst onbiousl;y)