6 Nations 2015

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: 6 Nations 2015

Post by hugonaut »

Twist wrote:Talk of Englamd being unlucky annoys me. They were extremely fortunate that France left so many points on the posts, to say nothing of the kicks Madigan and Sexton missed. For four kickers to misfire like that is extremely rare.
It's a serious whine alright, but I wouldn't let it annoy you.

Everybody knows the system going in, and the English were the ones who knew what they had to do to finish top of the table. As you say, the French goal-kickers went 4/9 on the day, missing 12 points.

In terms of Scotland 'caving': we made 13 clean breaks against them, beat 24 defenders and scored 40 points; the Scots made 155 tackles and missed 24 for an 87% success rate [source: http://www.espn.co.uk/six-nations-2015/ ... 80692.html ].

In their game against England, the Scots made 125 tackles and missed 27 for an 82% success rate; England made 17 clean breaks, beat 27 defenders and only scored 25 points [source: http://www.espn.co.uk/six-nations-2015/ ... 80689.html ]. So the Scots allowed more breaks, had more men beaten one-on-one, made fewer tackles and missed more tackles against the English than they did against us. Giving out about other teams might make you feel better [maybe?] but there's f*ck all you can do about how they perform, and to be frank, it only obscures that the real problem is yourself.

It was obvious watching the England/Scotland game that England's wastefulness and inability to finish clear-cut opportunities would probably come back to hurt them.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

When a finish is this close ther eis no point in all the whining - you could point to a multiple of issues at any stage from any of the 12 gamnes involving Ireland/England and Wales that could have changed the standings - all three teams had occasssions where they gave away easy points, or where they could have scored more - all pointless conjecture

The figure that really stands out is the points conceded - we conceded 56, England I think conceded 100 - that's 9 points per game worse, which is huge. We conceded 3 tries - England conceded 11.

The whole defence wins games, attack decides by how much is a cliché, but its a cliché for a good reason

England did incredibly well to get that close, but in reality if they were to look at themselves a little bit there were occasions, where they got about 15 points up - they needed to calm it down rather than continue with the way they were playing (for example Irelands last try - we had I think 4 kicks to the corner in about 5 minutes all really well executed and putting Scotland under pressure - last one ended up as an Ireland throw in and resulted in a try. England absolutely had the team to really step on the French throats, but playing the way they did played intio French hands a little bit
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

JB1973 wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:England were unlucky alight, but is anyone else confused about these references to France "turning up". They conceded 55 point in a championship match and people say they turned up?

Wales turned up against Ireland. Barnes aside, they were screaming at each other to get up in the defensive line and put in hit after hit after hit. That was real commitment. That was putting their bodies on the line. The French seemed to implement a form of defence in which structure was unimportant and commitment to get back in a defensive line was not required after two phases.

Spectacular day of rugby it was. Unbelievably dramatic. But it was one in which the teams that had nothing to play for (all three of them), played like they had nothing to play for.

France defence was terrible and they should be slammed for that . However they did turn up with ball in hand, I doubt we'd have seen a Scottish/Italian prop run 90 yards to get outside his winger?

Maybe we should look at relegation ? that at least may ensure sides give their best in every game

I'm not so sure Georgia in tiblisi would have folded like Scotland and Italy did saturday
Attack is only half the game and defensively they didn't turn up. The French team are a joke coached by a clown. Not sure what they were trying to achieve last weekend - historically they have sometimes used the 6 Nations as a builder to a world cup but they will have learned nothing from this match beyond the fact that the whole organisation is shambolic.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

berniemac67 wrote:
JB1973 wrote:Youngs sounded a bit tongue in cheek, brown's certainly didn't.

However the effort or rather lack of it that Italy put in that second half and Scotland all game was terrible.

The scots looked scared to tackle SOB and their scramble defence was little short of pathetic.

Ireland were the best team over the tournament and were worthy champions, but the scots deserve every bit of stick they get after that garbage
LOL. back handed compliment.

Wales were good value for third.

Nothing back handed in it all, Ireland are a fine side and worthy champs I tipped them from the off (and have the betting slips to prove it)

Wales were 3rd but the tournament was a big success for us, we saw the likes of webb Williams and biggar all become proper international players and awj and warburton find their best form the world cup looks good for us.

As for Scotland I stand by my comments their display was gutless and pathetic as was Italy's in the second half against us (Untill the last minute!!) but that doesn't detract from Ireland's win.

You were the best side throughout the tournament and when you concede less than 60 points in 5 games (3 away from home) no one including myself can argue you didn't deserve to win.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Irish Times team of the tournament

Kearney!, Huget, Joseph, Henshaw, Nowell, Sexton!, Murray!, Marler, Guirado, Cole, AWJ, POC, POM, Warburton, Vunipola

only one Vunipola (deservedly) has been in, one team Parisse not in and the one he should be 6 in
Nowell in on two good games despite being destroyed in Ireland game
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Irish Times team of the tournament

Kearney!, Huget, Joseph, Henshaw, Nowell, Sexton!, Murray!, Marler, Guirado, Cole, AWJ, POC, POM, Warburton, Vunipola

only one Vunipola (deservedly) has been in, one team Parisse not in and the one he should be 6 in

Kearney ahead of halfpenny/brown is a stretch surely?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Mine would be

Halfpenny, North, Joseph, Henshaw, L. Williams, Sexton, Murray, McGrath, Ghiraldini, Cole, AWJ, POC, Haskell, Warburton, Heaslip

Very close for me between Murray/Webb/Youngs/Gori. Heaslip/Vunipola/Parisse also a close one. Hogg might have been a call at 15 too.

A good few players might have been in with a shout if they'd played more. Scott Williams, Fitz, Mermoz, Goujon, Mas, Parling, Dulin....
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Don't know what the IT were thinking, Kearney had an average tournament. POM was pretty average also.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

JB1973 wrote:Kearney ahead of halfpenny/brown is a stretch surely?
Would go for Hogg based on performances and a desire to put a Scot in the team. If there was a test match tomorrow though I'd want Halfpenny in my side.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I thought youngsters was mostly okay. He had looked good against some lazy armed French tackling. But he's Struggled for form the last while and I don't really think He's back at the top of his game.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

My team

Hogg - still prone to the odd mistake but huge class going forward
North - as much on reputation as anything tbh - hattrick helps
Joseph - one of the easiest decisions
Henshaw - Roberts was as good but you expect him to do what he does Henshaw exceeded although he had too many missed tackles
Nowell - really bad tournament for wingers so I'll squeeze him in - prone to mistakes as well
Ford - obviously a close thing - both had one bad game - I think Ford looks pure class as using the same rationale as Henshaw would give it to him
Murray - Youngs was good at the end, Webb & Gori were pretty good right through, Murray was cionsitently that little bit better (and is more central to his teams gameplan than any of the alternatives
McGrath - Just - Marler didn't get on top of Ross when it was clearly the target - Debaty didn't play enough, Jenkins in fairness was decent also
Ghiraldini - Not a vintage year for hookers, Baldwin was pretty good as was Giurado, Best was on/off, Hartley looked like he was trying not to get into trouble
Cole - Best tight head definitely and great around the park as well - incredible given the layoff
POC/AWJ - locks are a real source of strength in the NH atm. These two were outstanding. Jonny Gray was bnrilliant as well especially given his age. Lawes only played two games but if fit is the match of any lock
POM - Possibly a little bit of bias here but I thought he was better than Lydiate & Haskell by some way. Incredibly intelligenn player who maybe isn't world class at any one particular aspect but able to contribute in all areas and as required - very similar to Heaslip in that sense (and gets abuse the same way as well
Warburton - I wouldn't givbe it to SOB because he missed almost two games and really only looked understandably up to speed v Scotland. Robshaw is as he always has been - incredibly good but in this company he lacks top end class. Warbuton is such a big game player though
Vuniploa - tough one this - Parisse is pure class, and I really like Faletau. Heaslip isn't a showman but in variably does the right thing all the time. Vunipola had a huge impact though and became an 80 minute player, which I just did not see coming

5 Ire, 5 Eng, 3 Wal, 1 Sco, 1 Ita

If they were actually going to play anyone first thing I'd do is drop Ford and Hogg for Sexton and Halfpenny though
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:

Kearney was not stellar, include kicking and halfpenny was, as was Hogg in a poor team (same reason Bennet did arguably better than Jospeh)
English and Welsh halfbacks were both better and more consistent (and played more in case of 10) than Irish counterparts

again IMO too much jersey specific selections

Halfpenny, Huget, Henshaw, Roberts, Hogg, Ford, Webb, McGrath, Guirado, Cole, AWJ, POC, Parisse, Warburton, Vunipola
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

simonokeeffe wrote:
JB1973 wrote:

Kearney was not stellar, include kicking and halfpenny was, as was Hogg in a poor team (same reason Bennet did arguably better than Jospeh)
English and Welsh halfbacks were both better and more consistent (and played more in case of 10) than Irish counterparts

again IMO too much jersey specific selections

Halfpenny, Huget, Henshaw, Roberts, Hogg, Ford, Webb, McGrath, Guirado, Cole, AWJ, POC, Parisse, Warburton, Vunipola
Think a little bit too much ignoring of positions there - not really an option to select a fb at wing imo. There might be a case for switching flankers (argument for Robshaw at 6) but I don't think an 8 should be switched to flank, partiocularly someone like Parisse who has never
played anywhere other than 8.

Don't particularly mind switching centres but can't see how you can't select Joseph - top try scorer, great in attack and really wasn't shown upo in defence at all
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't remember too much about Halfpenny other than his great diving catch against us but from what I remember he was pretty good. Liam Williams made a huge difference to their attack though when he moved to 15 the other day. It'll be interesting to see how much they use that in future.
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Huget in the Team of the Tournament?

You're killing me.

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Is there many Try of the Tournament debates happening? I nominate Vincent Debaty for 'Best Newcomer' :happy clapper:
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Twist wrote:Is there many Try of the Tournament debates happening? I nominate Vincent Debaty for 'Best Newcomer' :happy clapper:

You rather could consider him as a recidivist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu5RxUjo ... ata_player

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Golf Man wrote:Think a little bit too much ignoring of positions there - not really an option to select a fb at wing imo. There might be a case for switching flankers (argument for Robshaw at 6) but I don't think an 8 should be switched to flank, partiocularly someone like Parisse who has never
played anywhere other than 8.

Don't particularly mind switching centres but can't see how you can't select Joseph - top try scorer, great in attack and really wasn't shown upo in defence at all
Liam Williams (might have let my hatred of him cloud some judgement)
FELIX JONES :P

IMO Roberts and Henshaw were the two best centres

Parisse would be an oustanding 6
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Parisse would probably make an outstanding full back but to play him there away from his best position would be idiocy.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

http://balls.ie/rugby/256892-ian-ritchie-rfu/

This is not something you would ever expect to hear from Irish sports administrators but oddly I kind of admire the guy for coming out and saying it.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am