Wolfhounds v Saxons

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Wolfhounds v Saxons

Post by Golf Man »

Henshaw and Fitz have never played together as a pairing and v important from Schmidts point of view - haven't trained together either

You could probably argue that Fitz is getting gametime at wing fro two reasons - integrate back into a Schmidt style and because he will likely be covering wing next week and hasn't played there in an age. Theres also a strong possibility that Schmidt just prefers Fitz as winger and Earls as a centre

He could well get a chance at 13 during the 6Nations - but if we get a fit and firing 12 (I'd love Madigan there) then its Henshaw by a mile ahead of Payne, Fitz, Earls etc

The Madigan selection has me a bit baffled tbh - he doesn't need gametime - hasn't played at 10 much lately but as played loads and with Sexton and Jackson un available it seems like an unnecessary risk - maybe Keatley is in the running to start?

Same arhgument goes for McGrath and Cronin - with Healy out why risk McGrath - he's been out a couple of weeks, no big deal - injury and we have Cronin starting and Bent on the bench which is a huge ask for both of them
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

And + another 1.

Gotta hand it to Joe- he likes to shake things up. I sure as hell didn't see Luke going to the wing- possible Dave Kearney absence being covered? But Joe being Joe, Earls could start on the wing for Italy.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

baaba maal wrote:And + another 1.

Gotta hand it to Joe- he likes to shake things up. I sure as hell didn't see Luke going to the wing- possible Dave Kearney absence being covered? But Joe being Joe, Earls could start on the wing for Italy.
That would be a completely unJoe like thing to do. Almost impossible to see anything other than Zebo and Bowe - two best available options and men in possession (who impressed last time out) - bit of a no brainer imo

I'm delighted at the return of the Fitz/Earls debate - great that they are in contention but the same old lazy clichés being turned out

Earls - Rabid Munster fan has him starting at 13 and vastly overstating his form/capabilities, Rabid Leinster fan think he's not even Pro 12 level centre
Fitz - Rabid Leinster fans has him starting at 13 and vastly overstating his form/capabilities, Rabid Munster fans don't actually mind him but think he can't score, create or make breaks

The reality as always is somewhere in the middle. Earls has done far better at 13 than Fitz ever has, but has definite limitations at 13. Fitz is possibly one of the best footballers we've had for years, but has never been really really top end. Both have been shifted way too much in their careers and been injured way too much

IMO they are both really good options at 13 - not sure either will ever be first choice - Henshaw is better than them both at the moment
Tox56
Learner

Post by Tox56 »

Golf Man wrote:
baaba maal wrote:And + another 1.

The reality as always is somewhere in the middle. Earls has done far better at 13 than Fitz ever has, but has definite limitations at 13.
Total nonsense, Fitz has been MOTM nearly every week at 13 this season
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Joe, as an international coach, has typically had his likely team training together for the two weeks (If possible) prior to a game.
That being the case Murray and Keatley could be the starting HBs against Italy for example.
However for the 6Ns match schedule he obviously has to make some adjustments to the way/when the likely teams will train together.
We might get an insight into how he manages the schedule over the next few weeks.
He might for example have two match day squads. One for the slightly easier Italy and Scotland games. The other for the big three.
It's hard to see where the Wolfhounds match fits in if even.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I don't think GM has actually watched Leinster regularly recently as he also said that Fitzgerald was inexperienced at 13 and it would be parachuting him in to play him there instead of the actually inexperienced and not in great form at 13 Payne.

I think both Zebo and Earls are better wingers and full backs than Luke. He's a good player but he isn't a natural international standard wing. Lacks either the pace or sheer size that you need there. They're probably better at kicking, fielding, and have better pace. He works better in confined spaces where his balance and sense of timing bring others into the game. He's also probably a better defender than either of those.

Luke hasn't played 12 in years though has he?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:I don't think GM has actually watched Leinster regularly recently as he also said that Fitzgerald was inexperienced at 13 and it would be parachuting him in to play him there instead of the actually inexperienced and not in great form at 13 Payne.

I think both Zebo and Earls are better wingers and full backs than Luke. He's a good player but he isn't a natural international standard wing. Lacks either the pace or sheer size that you need there. They're probably better at kicking, fielding, and have better pace. He works better in confined spaces where his balance and sense of timing bring others into the game. He's also probably a better defender than either of those.

Luke hasn't played 12 in years though has he?
The only thing GM watches is his hole cos he lost the flexibility to vanish up it a few seasons ago.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Joe is doing more Professor X voodoo mind sh*t
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

I personally feel there is a major selection error in the centre. There is only one person in Ireland that really believes Earls is a13 and he is playing in that position for the wolfhounds. He will not pass and link with other plyers a prerequisite for the positin If he has to play then I would swop him around with Fitzgerald.
Why is this young guy Darcy being giving a run at 12, what can Joe learn about him in the pre RWC season. Luke Marshall played a full 80 minutes last week agains Leicester and it would have been an excellent oppurtunity too to slot Payne in at his best position 15.

Also disappointing to see Henderson in the second Row just think what a combination it would be with him and Obrian @ 6 & 7 enough to strike fear into any opposition team.
Then of course I would be looking for two new 2nd rows perhaps Foley and Alan O'connor as Idont see a big future in McCarthy who is only keeping Touheys seat warm for him.
I can understand that some of the more established players returning from injury need game time but there are some there who I hopefully cannot see being in contention come September and surely this an ideal time to see if there are any potential late bloomers among the fringe players and clarify further the potential RWC Squad,
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

Fitzgeralds return of scoring in only 1 of his 27 games for Ireland is a shocking statistic.He definately is a brave defender to his detriment but the hype surrounding him is bordering on the insane.Earls return of 12 tries in 39 games reeks of international pedigree.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Aird wrote:I personally feel there is a major selection error in the centre. There is only one person in Ireland that really believes Earls is a13 and he is playing in that position for the wolfhounds. He will not pass and link with other plyers a prerequisite for the positin If he has to play then I would swop him around with Fitzgerald.
Why is this young guy Darcy being giving a run at 12, what can Joe learn about him in the pre RWC season. Luke Marshall played a full 80 minutes last week agains Leicester and it would have been an excellent oppurtunity too to slot Payne in at his best position 15.

Also disappointing to see Henderson in the second Row just think what a combination it would be with him and Obrian @ 6 & 7 enough to strike fear into any opposition team.
Then of course I would be looking for two new 2nd rows perhaps Foley and Alan O'connor as Idont see a big future in McCarthy who is only keeping Touheys seat warm for him.
I can understand that some of the more established players returning from injury need game time but there are some there who I hopefully cannot see being in contention come September and surely this an ideal time to see if there are any potential late bloomers among the fringe players and clarify further the potential RWC Squad,
Dave Foley is injured, Aird. He's having surgery on a dodgy wrist and is out for 3 months or so [source: http://www.espn.co.uk/ireland/rugby/story/254323.html ]. With regard to Mike McCarthy, I think he's playing the best rugby he has played since arriving at Leinster. He doesn't really need to have a 'big future', he just needs to keep playing at this level for the next nine months, which will take in a whole rake of Six Nations, warm-up and RWC tests.

Personally speaking, I think it's very likely that Earls and Fitz will swap positions at some time during the game. Certainly I would be surprised if they didn't. Plenty of reasons to select D'Arcy – to see if he can still thrive in international rugby and to provide some stability to the players directly inside [Madigan] and outside [Earls], who haven't played much rugby in those positions in recent months.

There's a time when it's wiser to stop using the crutch of building for some nebulous 'future' that never arrives and just select the team based on what you've been seeing for the last three months or so. I think the only thing Schmidt is all that guilty of with this selection [which I think is very strong] is being pragmatic, which I don't think is any crime at all.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Aird wrote:I personally feel there is a major selection error in the centre. There is only one person in Ireland that really believes Earls is a13 and he is playing in that position for the wolfhounds. He will not pass and link with other plyers a prerequisite for the positin If he has to play then I would swop him around with Fitzgerald.

That's gas, I dislike seeing Hendo picked as a flanker! If there is an area Ireland are resource light, its the second row. if there is an area Ireland are flush, its the backrow. Henderson is a great candidate to make it to the big leagues in the row, I say keep giving him time there.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote:
There's a time when it's wiser to stop using the crutch of building for some nebulous 'future' that never arrives and just select the team based on what you've been seeing for the last three months or so.
The future is now!

There will be people complaining about the lack of future planning in the team selected for the game against France in the MilStad.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
There's a time when it's wiser to stop using the crutch of building for some nebulous 'future' that never arrives and just select the team based on what you've been seeing for the last three months or so.
The future is now!

There will be people complaining about the lack of future planning in the team selected for the game against France in the MilStad.
Which is fair enough. Kidney selected the half backs for the quarter final against Wales with no thought for the future 80 minutes.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
The future is now!

Which is fair enough. Kidney selected the half backs for the quarter final against Wales with no thought for the future 80 minutes.
did you just compare Joe to deccie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: The future is now!

did you just compare Joe to deccie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ignore him, he's just trying to make Joe look good. :wink:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Luke out ill. Gilroy starts, Conway to bench.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
The future is now!

80 mins is too long a time frame. after the first 40mins have elapsed you have to reset for the next 40mins. Dekko never really got that last bit. EOS was a bit of a slouch about it too.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:Luke out ill. Gilroy starts, Conway to bench.
FFS - if it wasn't for bad luck...
A proud Winsome Fluter
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

Is this broadcast on the radio does anyone know?