Wolfhounds v Saxons

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Wolfhounds v Saxons

Post by sunshiner1 »

by paddyor

I don't think scratch sides are a great tool for development at all and knowing Schmidt he wouldn't be wasting too much of his energy on it.
I disagree. Schmidt is all about his systems so getting a bunch of guys in and seeing how they do playing to his system would give him good feedback. It would also let him see how fringe guys can do, The likes of Denis Buckley would be someone who could have benefitted from getting an A cap or McGuigan over at Leicester thereby nailing him to Ireland. While a one off game might not do a lot something like the Churchill Cup was to my eyes a great benefit, better than the Tblilsi Cup which we dominated year in year out.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Its not necessarily development, it's about seeing how players do in teams/systems/combinations they dont play and train in all year for a province
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

and he could really annoy our friends down south by picking Zebo for the "A" bench. That would be worth the revival of that grade
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by paddyor

I don't think scratch sides are a great tool for development at all and knowing Schmidt he wouldn't be wasting too much of his energy on it.
I disagree. Schmidt is all about his systems so getting a bunch of guys in and seeing how they do playing to his system would give him good feedback. It would also let him see how fringe guys can do, The likes of Denis Buckley would be someone who could have benefitted from getting an A cap or McGuigan over at Leicester thereby nailing him to Ireland. While a one off game might not do a lot something like the Churchill Cup was to my eyes a great benefit, better than the Tblilsi Cup which we dominated year in year out.
I can't see him putting much effort into a game that doesn't matter or being all that interested in a game against a scratch side.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by paddyor » February 9th, 2018, 7:06 pm

sunshiner1 wrote:

by paddyor

I can't see him putting much effort into a game that doesn't matter or being all that interested in a game against a scratch side.
Again I have to disagree. Schmidt has made a big deal of long-term planning for the next world cup. He could be giving some of the younger guys gametime, experimenting with combinations etc. We'll have to agree to disagree.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Joe might make a big deal about the next world cup in public, but don't be in any doubt about this in any way, shape or form whatsoever. No one in the Union gives a cr@p about the next world cup, and we don't even have to pretend we do anymore. The world cup doesn't make us very much money - a small profit was returned in 2015 because costs were so low with it being local. The Six Nations is the financial driver for the entire Irish game from minis through to the national team. The Irish game makes more out of a Irish third place finish in the Six Nations than our provinces doing a clean sweep of the Champions Cup/Challenge Cup/Pro14 and B&I Cup.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Win the b&i cup and Leo cullen can pay his home phone bill
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:Joe might make a big deal about the next world cup in public, but don't be in any doubt about this in any way, shape or form whatsoever. No one in the Union gives a cr@p about the next world cup, and we don't even have to pretend we do anymore. The world cup doesn't make us very much money - a small profit was returned in 2015 because costs were so low with it being local. The Six Nations is the financial driver for the entire Irish game from minis through to the national team. The Irish game makes more out of a Irish third place finish in the Six Nations than our provinces doing a clean sweep of the Champions Cup/Challenge Cup/Pro14 and B&I Cup.
Oh yeah- I accept and get that on the finances. But this game is about more than money- while not denying the essential need for the shekels. The World Cup has to matter to us, because it’s the ultimate glory- and particularly because we can win it. If we were of a standard of Italy, I’d say you’re right. In short the A team matters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Question if you had to pick a Wolfhounds team for this weekend who would be on it for you fellas?
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

sunshiner1 wrote:Question if you had to pick a Wolfhounds team for this weekend who would be on it for you fellas?
1. Buckley
2. Heffernan
3. Bent
4. Molony
5. Holland
6. Reidy
7. O’Donnell
8. Deegan
9. Cooney
10. Hanrahan
11. Healy
12. Farrell
13. O’Loughlin
14. Kelleher
15. O’Halloran
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Any sign of another Ireland A game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by neill_m

Any sign of another Ireland A game?
No. And with the two new South African teams in the PRO14 I can't see it happening either unfortunately.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by A16 » March 2nd, 2018, 8:24 pm

sunshiner1 wrote:
Question if you had to pick a Wolfhounds team for this weekend who would be on it for you fellas?

1. Buckley
2. Heffernan
3. Bent
4. Molony
5. Holland
6. Reidy
7. O’Donnell
8. Deegan
9. Cooney
10. Hanrahan
11. Healy
12. Farrell
13. O’Loughlin
14. Kelleher
15. O’Halloran
Not bad.

1. Buckley
2. McCartney
3. Bealham
4. Moloney
5. Cannon
6. Masterson
7. Connelly
8. O'Donoghue
9. Cooney
10. Keatley
11. Healy
12. Scannell
13. Marshall
14. Kelleher
15. TOH

16. Delahunt
17. Ed Byrne
18. Conor Carey
19. Alan O'Connor
20. Jordi Murphy
21. Blade
22. Ronaldson
23. Adeolokun
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A16 wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Question if you had to pick a Wolfhounds team for this weekend who would be on it for you fellas?
1. Buckley
2. Heffernan
3. Bent
4. Molony
5. Holland
6. Reidy
7. O’Donnell
8. Deegan
9. Cooney
10. Hanrahan
11. Healy
12. Farrell
13. O’Loughlin
14. Kelleher
15. O’Halloran
What criteria re current Internationals?
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
A16 wrote:
1. Buckley
2. Heffernan
3. Bent
4. Molony
5. Holland
6. Reidy
7. O’Donnell
8. Deegan
9. Cooney
10. Hanrahan
11. Healy
12. Farrell
13. O’Loughlin
14. Kelleher
15. O’Halloran
What criteria re current Internationals?
I didn’t have any strict criteria for that team. The main basis for selection was just players who are on the fringes of the international squad who are playing well, or may break into the national team later on. I only picked international players who aren’t overly involved with the full team at the moment e.g. (Healy, O’Loughlin, O’Halloran).
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Trying to select a team of non-internationals who are either playing in Ireland or contracted to Irish Clubs, and have the potential to play international rugby, is a more interesting exercise at present. It might look like this:

1. Buckley, Dooley or Ed Byrne;
2. Heffernan;
3. O'Toole;
4. Beirne;
5. Wincherly;
6. Sean O'Brien;
7. Timoney;
8. Deegan
9. Blade;
10. Frawley
11. Wotton
12. Arnold
13. Griffin
14. Daly
15. Haley (Munster / Sale)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Who does Ross Byrne have to f%~k to get any kind of consideration?
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

No Wolfhounds vs Saxon's game again. What's the point of having it be our designated second team if we never use it?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:Who does Ross Byrne have to f%~k to get any kind of consideration?
He IS an international though. So is Beirne
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Who does Ross Byrne have to f%~k to get any kind of consideration?
He IS an international though. So is Beirne
The plane is almost at the end of the runway, personally I would want the pilot to hand over controll to the co-pilot mid takeoff.
Joe knows best!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.