Italy v Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Italy v Ireland

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote:But who's willie is bigger? Let's arrange a meet up with a benison bowl!

For what it's worth I think Earls is a genuine finisher. If it's on, he's in. And I'd pick him on the wing ahead of Luke. I'd have Luke at 13 ahead of earls eveytime also. Unfortunately for Luke and earls their wilderness years of injury mean they are neither in pole position...
9 out of 10 women find girth more prolific......the stats don't lie!

At this stage there's nothing between them. I don't see try scoring record or mickey size being part of Joe's metrics. I'd have Fitzgerald ahead on the basis Earls has played less rugby. Even if most of it's at centre, it's not like he's forgotten the finer points of playing a position he's played his whole career.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

Payne is starting so they are only fighting for a place on the bench
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

Moore is starting,better to find out now if he is up to it against Italy and France rather than in the World Cup
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:But who's willie is bigger? Let's arrange a meet up with a benison bowl!

For what it's worth I think Earls is a genuine finisher. If it's on, he's in. And I'd pick him on the wing ahead of Luke. I'd have Luke at 13 ahead of earls eveytime also. Unfortunately for Luke and earls their wilderness years of injury mean they are neither in pole position...
9 out of 10 women find girth more prolific......the stats don't lie!

At this stage there's nothing between them. I don't see try scoring record or mickey size being part of Joe's metrics. I'd have Fitzgerald ahead on the basis Earls has played less rugby. Even if most of it's at centre, it's not like he's forgotten the finer points of playing a position he's played his whole career.
I sincerely hope that Earls is eased back into rugby. Not thrown back into the international cauldron. A fully match fit Earls with form and confidence is a fine international winger. Himself and Fitz have had very similar and awful injury woes in recent years. Luke however has had 2/3months of club rugby under his belt and has been playing well. Keith has played about 60 mins in 2 dead rubbers (It was a dead rubber in Barnet when he came on). There is no need to rush him back considering the cover we have on the wings. If he can gain his former zip then he will be back in the fold in good time, unless someone else is ripping it up.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

tricktreat wrote:Enough talk about wingers, I'm more concerned about our back row, soft J has done little this season to warrant a place. And our no 8 is just back from injury.
Would have been much happier with Hendo in the team also.
The J in Jordi isn't soft....Happy to help!

You're wrong btw. He's been good in his past few games for Leinster in the HEC and the P12 and looks nothing like the player who struggled for form when he came back from injury. Which is a bit more than the highlight of TODs 13/14 season (20 mins against Perpignan) that had people crying out for him to be included last year. FWIW Murphy is a more prolific try scorer and I'm told the stats don't lie!

I suppose I'd agree to some extent as I'm not sold on either of them as real options for the RWC or generally in the long run. Murphy does have time on his side though. I think either will be fine for Italy and with SOB and Ruddock coming back in during the tournament we should be okay.

On the last point. Have been thinking about the bench options and it's likely that one of the locks & backrow will be held back until 10 minutes to go for fear of injuries.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

It's so soft it's almost silent,I have seen nothing from him to warrant international selection,he wouldn't make my Leinster team if I was picking it
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Tonic Wine wrote:It's so soft it's almost silent,I have seen nothing from him to warrant international selection,he wouldn't make my Leinster team if I was picking it
No its like the J in John.

Yeah I don't really see him being a long term option. but he has done enough in the past few weeks to get called into the squad as 6th/7th choice back row. And yeah he wouldn't be ahead of any of Ruddock SOB Heaslip for the Leinster backrow .......or the Ireland backrow. Most of the other options are injured and Henderson is needed as a lock.

Schmidt seems to. He is a prolific try scorer!
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

He is starting ahead of Tommy O Donnell,disgraceful decision
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Tonic Wine wrote:He is starting ahead of Tommy O Donnell,disgraceful decision
At least Leinster fans arn't going onto munsterfans.com and referring to him as Ommy O ' Onnell
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Joe is a horses for courses man. TOD is an ideal player when we're faced against the likes of Georgia or USA.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
tricktreat wrote:Enough talk about wingers, I'm more concerned about our back row, soft J has done little this season to warrant a place. And our no 8 is just back from injury.
Would have been much happier with Hendo in the team also.
The J in Jordi isn't soft....Happy to help!

You're wrong btw. He's been good in his past few games for Leinster in the HEC and the P12 and looks nothing like the player who struggled for form when he came back from injury. Which is a bit more than the highlight of TODs 13/14 season (20 mins against Perpignan) that had people crying out for him to be included last year. FWIW Murphy is a more prolific try scorer and I'm told the stats don't lie!

I suppose I'd agree to some extent as I'm not sold on either of them as real options for the RWC or generally in the long run. Murphy does have time on his side though. I think either will be fine for Italy and with SOB and Ruddock coming back in during the tournament we should be okay.

On the last point. Have been thinking about the bench options and it's likely that one of the locks & backrow will be held back until 10 minutes to go for fear of injuries.
Stats don't lie - It's the way people interpret (usually wrongly) that is the issue.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Tonic Wine wrote:Moore is starting,better to find out now if he is up to it against Italy and France rather than in the World Cup
Wouldn't agree with that sort of logic.
For a TH prop he's very young. His development, both at club and international level, needs to be handled very carefully.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Tonic Wine wrote:It's so soft it's almost silent,I have seen nothing from him to warrant international selection,he wouldn't make my Leinster team if I was picking it
So he deserves a nickname because you're unconvinced? I'll leave it Joe Schmidt to decide who warrants international selection.

It is definitely one of the things you associate with Munster fans on the internet, especially their own message board. Nicknames for Leinster players.

Soft J
Thumbs McFadden
Daverage
heaslip (no H)

and probably a lot more.

You're one bitter little tw@t. Look at everything Irish rugby has achieved in the last 10 seasons; 5 Heineken Cups, almost domination of the League and B&I Cup, a Grand Slam in '09 and a Championship in 2014 plus a very healthy representation on the last two Lions tours (both original squads, Ireland had more players sent than England). But there is still something disturbing about a lot of online fans, from all parts of the country. This thread is good for the popcorn, I will admit that.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

It's Uncle J.

Get it right.

I hope Joe feels comfortable with the team he picks and everyone enjoys themselves on the day.
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

Oldschool wrote:
Tonic Wine wrote:Moore is starting,better to find out now if he is up to it against Italy and France rather than in the World Cup
For a TH prop he's very young. His development, both at club and international level, needs to be handled very carefully.

We will know after the first scrum on our put in if he is up to it.I hope he is or it will be a long year
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

TerenureJim wrote:
I'll give you full back but no way is Earls a better winger than Fitz. Defence wins games, passing wins games, Earls is has the gas but he's behind Fitz on both of the key points for me.
I really don't see much difference in their defence - neither are a weakness, neither are hugely strong (lets face it what wingers are). Fitz is a better passer and definitely has better vision, but at wing I don't think that makes up for lack of top end speed, eye for a gap and finishing prowess (where Earls is miles ahead imo). Both have been messed around a huge amount by consistently being moved in order to fit them in - that's a testament to both their skills, but long run hasn't helped them. For example Bowe has been picked repeatedly at wing despite a lot of calls for him to be played in the centre - he has become one of the first names on the teamsheet and not being shifted treally helps.

Obviously injuries have screwed both of them up too though - having Earls and Fitz fit and in form would be a huge benefit to the national team

For what its worth I'd have Earls every day over Fitz at wing, I'd have Fitz every day over Earls at centre
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Tonic Wine wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

We will know after the first scrum on our put in if he is up to it.I hope he is or it will be a long year
Or there'll be a free kick for an early drive or a penalty for collapsing or some other skull duggery. Probably best to wait about 50 mins to make a call doesn't sound as definitive though!
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

This thread should be wiped and everyone start over.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote:This thread should be wiped and everyone start over.
Agree.