Ireland vs France

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland vs France

Post by Cianostays »

Something like this for me 1-15: McGrath, Best, Ross, PO'C, Toner, Henderson, PO'M, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Zebo, Henshaw, Payne, Bowe, Kearney.

16-23: Cronin, Cronin, Moore, TO'D, Murphy, Reddan, Keatley, Earls.

I think SO'B would benefit more by playing in Leinster's Pro12 games and have him ready vs England. In that scenario we can have 2 back rowers on the bench with Henderson covering Lock. Normally, I'd have Madigan ahead of Keatley on the bench for his versatility but I can't see Sexton playing 80 mins straight away so would have the better out-half (Keatley) on the bench ahead of him. Earls' speed off the bench would be a huge asset to have and I hope it's looked at. I'd love to see a midfield of Madigan and Henshaw myself but I'd expect Payne to line out again.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Ireland vs France

Post by johng »

Yeah. I think Healy and O'brien will be fed a diet of raw meat, looking at pictures of the England pack and have someone sing off key to them for the next 2 weeks. Unleashing them briefly for game time v a poor unsuspecting Dragons and Zebre.

The best way to manage without them is probably Hendy, POM, Heaslip and a pile of Cronins.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Might stick Mickey mack. In with Murphy or TOD on the bench.

Ryan, Foley and Tuohy are out.

Then again Heaslip may not last his customary 80. So perhaps Murphy AND TOD are the answer.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I though Murphy did enough to keep on the starting 15. Hard on O'Donnell as he might miss out given he did very well
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I really want a change at 23. Jones was ready to come on early for someone but that sub was shelved. I'm guessing it was Payne given that he went off early but that's just guesswork. Either way, with Fofana and Basteraud in the French midfield I think we'll need someone to come of there given the toll they take on the opposition. There was a lot of rejigging for just one sub yesterday which I'm not a fan of, not when there's a much simpler option anyway. I'm hoping its Luke and that it was the bug that contributed to him not playing yesterday.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

dont think we'll see POM at 7, Joe has never shown any inclination to pick him there or ever play him there

Am fairly confident about this, France look just as uncoached and uncordinated as last year, very little impact off the bench which was fairly underused too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:dont think we'll see POM at 7, Joe has never shown any inclination to pick him there or ever play him there

Am fairly confident about this, France look just as uncoached and uncordinated as last year, very little impact off the bench which was fairly underused too
If they get Kockott and Lopez singing off the same hymnsheet though they'll be pretty dangerous just by dint of the talent outside them
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:dont think we'll see POM at 7, Joe has never shown any inclination to pick him there or ever play him there

If they get Kockott and Lopez singing off the same hymnsheet though they'll be pretty dangerous just by dint of the talent outside them
its still an unstructured attack and Bastareaud still doesnt pass
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Best very doubtful for the match as he is undergoing return to play protocols which infers concussion but they have not said he has concussion :?
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Dave Cahill wrote:

I didn't see anything in France that suggests they can win this weekend, there is no structure, no game plan and they still play like strangers.

The Scots made good use of the driving maul and with POC in good form you'll get loads of joy there, hogg cut them at will at times and I don't see them holding out in defence against the likes of Kearny and bowe.

With Sexton and Murray back together Ireland will win and win well 10 points plus,
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

JB1973 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

I didn't see anything in France that suggests they can win this weekend, there is no structure, no game plan and they still play like strangers.

The Scots made good use of the driving maul and with POC in good form you'll get loads of joy there, hogg cut them at will at times and I don't see them holding out in defence against the likes of Kearny and bowe.

With Sexton and Murray back together Ireland will win and win well 10 points plus,
Any and all logic go out of the window when the Irish team see the French roll into town, not only de we generally underperform against them, they too, tend to never have their typical French non-plus performances against us.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

With Sexton and Murray back together Ireland will win and win well 10 points plus,[/quote]

Ireland have beaten France for what 4 years on the spin? France don't seem to have any imagination at all behind the scrum. They have lots of size strength and bulk there but no one to put them into space or turn half breaks into trys.

I suppose it could all just click one day and they could run riot, but I don't see it happening next weekend . Ireland will kick and chase well, the line out maul will pick them off and eventually the pressure will tell and the points will come.
Last edited by JB1973 on February 9th, 2015, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Curiously the bookies have Ireland as 4/9 favourites. Never comfortable with the favourites tag but oddly feel that we deserve it for this match. We're probably doomed.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Plenty of options for Joe.
Front rows:
At hooker Best's possible absence will probably elevate both Cronin and Strauss to the team and bench respectively.
With fourteen scrums and numerous resets the props had a strenuous enough day at the office. Ross's relatively early substitution was nod towards preserving him for next week and I expect to see him retained with Moore again in reserve. Similarly McGrath will start again with Cronin most likely to sub. With a view to later in the tournament it would be good for Healy to get 50/60 mins v the Dragons

Second row
No changes needed.

Back row
Loads of ifs but and maybes with POM the only definite starter. I wouldn't play SOB at this stage. If he is fit to play let him slay some Dragons. Heaslip plays if fit, with either Murphy or TOD at openside. As I said prior to the Italian match I had no qualms with Jordi's selection, and again either would do for me. The one thing I would say about TOD is that he is quite possibly the only back row in Ireland's extended squad that would or could have scored that try. An example of attacking spaces and not faces.
If Heaslip plays TOD/ Murphy and Henderson to sub.

Half back
Murray obviously to play. I feel that Joe's decision to use Boss in place of Marmion last weekend was based on the fear of having 2 inexperienced half backs in the event of Murray suffering an early injury. Sexton's presence might pave the way for Marmion to bench. I'm not sure of Reddan's injury status.
Sexton will replace Keatly but Keatly may still be part of the 23. Madigan's versatility allowed Joe pick a less versatile Felix Jones last week as number 23. I think Keatly passed with flying colours and the combination of proving Joe's trust in him and Madigan's sub par performance v the Saxons and lack of general Gametime at out half will keep Keatly in the MD23. There will be a fair chance that in a tight game he might not leave the bench. Versatility is not a criteria when picking your sub outhalf.

Outside backs.
No changes with the only discussion concerning number 23, with Madigan, Fitzgerald and Earls in contention. Personally I'd have Fitzgerald.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on February 9th, 2015, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

JB1973 wrote:I didn't see anything in France that suggests they can win this weekend, there is no structure, no game plan and they still play like strangers.

Ireland have beaten France for what 4 years on the spin? France don't seem to have any imagination at all behind the scrum. They have lots of size strength and bulk there but no one to put them into space or turn half breaks into trys.

I suppose it could all just click one day and they could run riot, but I don't see it happening next weekend . Ireland will kick and chase well, the line out maul will pick them off and eventually the pressure will tell and the points will come.[/quote]

a win last year preceeded by 2 draws.
still if we can win next week it would have very positive implications for our game against them in Cardiff RWC
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

what you think to PSA trapper?

Is it time France bit the bullet and went for a top class overseas coach? Would the FFR ever go down that route?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

JB1973 wrote:what you think to PSA trapper?

Is it time France bit the bullet and went for a top class overseas coach? Would the FFR ever go down that route?
Scott Johnson, the guy only knows how to fail upwards- France is the next logical step on his route to glory
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Jaime Heaslip, Eoin Reddan, Dave Kearney, Johnny Sexton and Cian Healy all definitely available.
Rory Best and Sean O Brien both likely yo be available.

Getting close to a full deck available.
crumlinbob
Bookworm

Post by crumlinbob »

How many players which have little gametime could a coach realistically pick? If Sexton is a must to start (out for 12 weeks), Heaslip also a must at eight (out for a couple of weeks), SOB ? (out for the best part of a season), Healy? (ditto). To be honest I think SOB and Healy should be sent to play with Leinster on Sunday in preparation for England game. So the Irish team for France could be something like :
McGrath
Best ? (Cronin)
Ross
Dev
POC
Henderson
POM
Heaslip
Murray
Sexton
D. Kearney
Henshaw
Payne or Fitzer (would love to see Henshaw / Fitzer combo in midfield prob wont happen though)
Bowe
Rob K.

Cronin (seemed to struggle when he came on last saturday and I seriously think Bent is as good, if not better this season)
Strauss (Cronin)
Moore
McCarthy
Murphy
Reddan
Mads
Earls
Life's a lot more fun when you're not responsible for your actions.
crumlinbob
Bookworm

Post by crumlinbob »

oops 24? No Earls then!
Life's a lot more fun when you're not responsible for your actions.