Ireland v Scotland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland v Scotland

Post by harryp »

So, whats the predictions?

I reckon we should win by 20+ points. Scots have come good, but we have much more attacking runners than England and a weakened French side.

I think EOS will go back to the old game plan (for this game only). If he does we should be comfortable. Get O'Gara to kick the corners from the start and we should have no problems.

England and France tried to run at Scotland from deep, they were both able to make the hard yards, but weren't able to break the line. If we can get set piece ball in the Scottish 22, we should score quite easily.

I'm not convinced by the 10, 12 & 13. They get a lot of cover from the 3 No. 6's, but haven't been tested one on one by a backline as creative as ours. If we can tie up the Scots backrow in Set pieces, Rucks & Mauls, we should have no problems taking the ball straight up the middle.

Ireland by 20, RO'G to be man of the match :shock: .
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

It should be a great game, and hopefully a win for the LR's last 6N game. just hope i can get a ticket
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

thecoofreak wrote:It should be a great game, and hopefully a win for the LR's last 6N game. just hope i can get a ticket
You and me both!
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Hoping i might get one in and around the club international tomorrow. Anyone have any other ideas?
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Harry

The main reason France didn't cut Scotland open was Valbon. He dropped the ball at least 5 times in promising situations. Overall France made 26 errors, nearly all handling errors. Scotland played well but France really did play awful.

England on the other hand simply shipped the ball across the pitch. The Scots were happy to give them ground as long as they contained them and rip the ball when the carrier was isolated.

I honestly think we have the ability to combine the positive aspects of our games against France and Wales to cut them open at will. I hope we try to win that way. I've no doubt we can win by playing conservatively too but we need to start playing against everyone the way we can. We'll need to play the quick game to beat England so we may aswell get practice this week.

I don't mean to be dismissing Scotland if it comes across like that but we have to stop looking at the opposition and simply get the performance we know we can deliver. If we put in a perfect performance with the best aspects of Wales and France and Scotland still beat us then all we can do is applaud them but I can't see that happening if we play to our potential.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

CM,

Agreed, I don't want to see the Old Munster Maul type of game, but we need a little more structure than the French game, when we played the most intensive rugby.

For the likes of Saturday, we need to commit the Scottish pack and particularly the Backrow, be it through kicking corners or pick and drive. If we can do that, then releasing the Backline should allow us play the kind of quick expansive game that we all crave.

The Scots strength is 1st up tackles, by 2 tacklers. If you remove 1 tackler and break the gain line, which neither France nor England were capable of, then you can play the quick offloading game, with a lot of success.

As or O'Gara, I think he's due a big game, and we need it if he is going to compete with Hodgson in Twickenham. The Scots don't play a blitz defence, they play a drifting wall. RO'G all season has faced Blitz defence. I think if he can be given a little more time on the ball, with a little more space, then we can see how good he can be at releasing the Outside Backs. RO'G has the game, unfortunately his head drops too easily. Hopefully.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Any of ye haeding along to the club international in the Brook tomorrow?

I feel a bit sorry for those lads because many of them are getting their one and only chance to represent their country but they are going to have to play on an absolutely shite pitch
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

thecoofreak wrote:Any of ye haeding along to the club international in the Brook tomorrow?

I feel a bit sorry for those lads because many of them are getting their one and only chance to represent their country but they are going to have to play on an absolutely shite pitch
deffo gonna be there. i reckon its important that we all come out an support a great occasion. i hope they give it the works for the lads, anthems and all. as u say could be the one and only chance to pull on the green jersey
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Harry

We'll see if Scotland use a blitz defence against us. Clearly it's the way to defend against our style of play at the moment. They could be in trouble if they try to simply drift defend.

ROG needs to be told to go out and play. He showed against France that he's well capable of offloading, supporting the man in possession and making key passes. We saw a small cameo of that against Wales to for Flannery's near miss. I think he's growing into that role. Indeed if you remember back to when ROG first came on the scene he was a much better runner of the ball. Sadly he doesn't have the speed or strength required for the complete running game but he can still be effective as long as we support him properly.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

bookies have us at a 10 point lead. wish i was that confident!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

I think its very difficult to call because we have no form guide really.
1. Italy - terrible, should have lost, backline neutralised because of slow ball and flat positions vs the blitz
2. France - murdered by the French by the blitz; played 30 minutes without a game plan after France had decided not to bother anymore.....can't really judge - there's obviously no way we could play like that for 80 minutes!
3. Wales - Wales were appalling and their game fell appart when Jones went off.....

So its really difficult to judge. On balance, I feel Scotland have a better pack (particularly in the backrow), that our backs are better creatively, but their backs are very strong defensively and will be extremely difficult to break down...

Which means it could come down to kicks, and if we look at form this season, Patterson is ahead.....

If we can create quick ball and let the backs run, we can win. The half backs are massively important and that makes me nervous.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

To win we need to ensure that our Runners even with quick ball don't get isolated against 2 tacklers. Hence my point about committing the Scots Backrow.

We are poor on the ground, if our players get isolated, we will fall just as the English and the French. The Scots can defend all day, and will win an awful lot of ball on the ground via turnovers & pings for holding on.

Unfortunately, offloading in the tackle etc will never be an option with 2 tacklers.

Commit the 3 No. 6's to the tight and we can run amok.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Scotland 9 - 1 for de championship with only Ireland and Italy to play.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Flash
1. Italy - terrible, should have lost, backline neutralised because of slow ball and flat positions vs the blitz
There's no way we would have lost to Italy. We never looked like losing. You're not one of these people who take the disputed tries out and say 'look, we would have lost', are you? Even if you are it's worth noting that both tries have since been proved valid tries and even if Bowe's wasn't given the ref was playing a penalty advantage. It's also worth noting that the ref wasn't doing either side any favours. There really should have been at least one or two Italians in the bin for persistent infringing at the breakdown.
2. France - murdered by the French by the blitz;
That's stretching it to the extreme. We regularily made ground in the first half while only 1 of the tries could be put down to blitz defence and even then it was our own players who handicapped us.
played 30 minutes without a game plan
We played the exact same way in the first half. It's bizarre that you can't see it. We made as many errors and mistakes in the last 30 mins as we did in the first 50. It's just that where before those errors were bouncing the French way they started going our way. Good example is when a backline move broke down due to a dropped pass near the touchline. Heymans, I think it was, hacked on. Ball bounced into touch instead of down the pitch as it would have in the first half. 3 of our tries in that game were off quick tap penalties with the first one being a carbon copy of what we attempted in the first 5 mins of the match.

Of course we can't play with complete abandon but it's worth noting that when you watch the game ROG did kick when the kick was the right choice (as it was when he was blocked but he was hampered by D'Arcy putting the French 2 metres closer to ROG and Murphy standing in front of his kicking line) but by and large we always made ground with ball in hand and only lost the ball due to our own poor execution. D'Arcy had 7 errors, all handling I think. That doesn't happen often and can't solely be put down to pressure. So the question is, why can't we play the way we tried to against France? The only way we're going to get that increase in ability is to keep playing that way. We certainly need more composure near the line and I think this is our main weakness. Once there is no space to exploit and teams are able to have a flat defence without risk we find it hard to create the openings. So my opinion is that our approach play is just fine and we should continue the promise shown against France but that we need to work very hard on actually getting over the line.
3. Wales - Wales were appalling and their game fell appart when Jones went off.....
I said after the Welsh game that I thought we'd regressed. We went a little back into our shell of conservatism. It won us the game, as it always will against a team as weakened as Wales and would probably be enough for tomorrow too but it's just threading water, no more.
On balance, I feel Scotland have a better pack
Can't see that at all. The only area Scotland are marginally better is the backrow. Our front five is much better, especially our front row with Scotland and Aus the only sides that we can actually look down on when it comes to scrummaging.
Which means it could come down to kicks, and if we look at form this season, Patterson is ahead.....
Ah come on! 12/14 versus 17/21. Not really much in it.

There is no reason why we shouldn't win this game by 20 but Scotland have surprised me all season so it could be tighter. But it shouldn't be.
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

harryp wrote:Commit the 3 No. 6's to the tight and we can run amok.
That's the key to this game harry if we can at least get parity at the breakdown we should go on to win.
Our forwards will need to seriously up their levels of aggression when hitting the rucks -thank god POC has been declared fit.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

will win an awful lot of ball on the ground via turnovers
Harry, Scotland play 3 6s aswell don't forget. Their main strength isn't actually on the ground but in contact. They go straight for the ball before it even hits the ground. Sure, they're good ruckers but they're not any different to us when it comes to actually groundhogging. We just need to make sure we carry properly into contact and present the ball well. It's worth remembering that one of the reasons we were so ineffective against Italy was because Pearson refused to police the breakdown, not binning one Italian even though they killed the ball every time. Against Wales it was reffed better in that Wales were penalised more (17 times) but there still wasn't any yellow. We need a ref who's going to ref the breakdown properly and if we get that we should be ok.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

CM wrote:
will win an awful lot of ball on the ground via turnovers
Harry, Scotland play 3 6s aswell don't forget. Their main strength isn't actually on the ground but in contact. They go straight for the ball before it even hits the ground. Sure, they're good ruckers but they're not any different to us when it comes to actually groundhogging. We just need to make sure we carry properly into contact and present the ball well. It's worth remembering that one of the reasons we were so ineffective against Italy was because Pearson refused to police the breakdown, not binning one Italian even though they killed the ball every time. Against Wales it was reffed better in that Wales were penalised more (17 times) but there still wasn't any yellow. We need a ref who's going to ref the breakdown properly and if we get that we should be ok.
I meant their No.6's. There is no chance of committing our 3 to the tight, I've given up hope of that. One way or another they win too much ball in tackles / rucks, and we have to stop that.

Game is asking for Gleeson!
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

harryp wrote:Game is asking for Gleeson!
u said it brother. amen to that
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Harry

Sorry, misread it! I take your point.

I think some people are underestimating our backrow at the breakdown. We don't actually turn over much ball in that area and indeed usually get more joy than the opposition. However what we don't do, deliberately I presume, is protect the ball well enough which means that our ball is slowed down - not stolen - which obviously makes us less effective. How many times does Stringer have to go into a ruck to search for the ball? Too often in my opinion. When you've got limited halfbacks whose strength is the speed of their pass then you need quick ball to use their talents best.

I too would love to see Gleeson there but I do think that Wallace is the form backrower in the country this season. Should he be played at 8? Perhaps. But with our backrowers all quite small as it is dropping Leamy is not an option. So Wallace or Leamy go to 6. But that leaves us with a need to rebuild our lineout. I personally think that Easterby hasn't been as bad as some make out, he really does do a lot of unseen work, but no-one can question that he's the only world class backrow jumper at our disposal (Quinlan obviously is too but he's not available) so for me I grudgingly accept that he has to stay. So it comes down to Heaslip or Leamy at 8 and Gleeson or Wallace at 7. Again, I grudgingly accept that the two incumbents marginally deserve their places and Leamy especially has been growing into his role. I expect Heaslip to be a feature next year once he's bedded into pro-rugby and has spent a year in the squads.
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

Darce wrote:
harryp wrote:Game is asking for Gleeson!
u said it brother. amen to that
I hear ya it's become the frustrated cry of the Leinster fan :x