Ireland vs England - 01/03/2015 15:00

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Ireland vs England - 01/03/2015 15:00

Post by paddyor »

It's not just Rog, it's Conor O'Shea as well. It's getting really bad now. The faces on them when he starts waffling on and on and the way they often just ignore what he's said before talking about something else. He's losing touch with the rest of the panel and then just interrupts people to bring back the discussion to something he wants to talk about.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

paddyor wrote:He's losing touch with the rest of the panel and then just interrupts people to bring back the discussion to something he wants to talk about.
Yes that's it. I couldn't put it better myself. He's is so obviously incapable of talking at their level and both the panelists and the audience knows it.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:
paddyor wrote:He's losing touch with the rest of the panel and then just interrupts people to bring back the discussion to something he wants to talk about.
Yes that's it. I couldn't put it better myself. He's is so obviously incapable of talking at their level and both the panelists and the audience knows it.
T McGuirk is as big a problem IMO.
"Well George what do you think?"

That sort of invites the-
"when I was in short pants, general Montgomery was employing the same tactics with the desert rats!" [looks right to his other panel colleagues]
"well of course you lads wouldn't have a clue you're only new to this lark. Let me tell you how it is, when Jack Kyle kicked he put the other fellas under pressure, the players are too big now, of course he's going to get knocked out. The modern day jerseys make that impossible."
and so on.

At least "Go Well" would call bullshit on Hook.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Hooks performance on RTE for the Pro12 final was diabolical. Tried to steer the entire pre-match discussion towards a debate on concussion. When the match was kicking off, literally when it was kicking off, he dismissed the game and the Pro12 as a joke because Leicester and Toulouse weren't in it. RTE over the last number of years have lost the Heino, Pro12 the next WC and maybe even the 6 Nations. I don't see this as something to worry about anymore. They mistreated the sport.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote: T McGuirk is as big a problem IMO.

"when I was in short pants, general Montgomery was employing the same tactics with the desert rats!" [looks right to his other panel colleagues]
"well of course you lads wouldn't have a clue you're only new to this lark. Let me tell you how it is, when Jack Kyle kicked he put the other fellas under pressure, the players are too big now, of course he's going to get knocked out. The modern day jerseys make that impossible."
and so on.

He's not as big a problem. He just keeps the talk moving, while Hook is obliged to get one in every three paroles on the panel one third of the discussion, at very least, is bound to be worthless shite (his contribution plus whatever amount of everyone else's he has managed to make a mess of by dragging the discourse down). McGurk seemed perfectly happy that Hook took a lesser role than he used to (I hadn't watched the 6N on RTÉ for some time until Saturday) and when Hook isn't around everything is fine, the likes of O'Shea, Shaggy, and ROG are excellent. With that calibre of person you just need someone asking: what do you think?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: T McGuirk is as big a problem IMO.

and so on.

He's not as big a problem. He just keeps the talk moving, while Hook is obliged to get one in every three paroles on the panel one third of the discussion, at very least, is bound to be worthless shite (his contribution plus whatever amount of everyone else's he has managed to make a mess of by dragging the discourse down). McGurk seemed perfectly happy that Hook took a lesser role than he used to (I hadn't watched the 6N on RTÉ for some time until Saturday) and when Hook isn't around everything is fine, the likes of O'Shea, Shaggy, and ROG are excellent. With that calibre of person you just need someone asking: what do you think?
I'm not sure if I agree with this: "you just need someone asking: what do you think?", maybe it's not what you meant, I actually think the programme would be much, much better without Hook, we just don't need a village idiot for the pundits to bounce their ideas off.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Peg Leg wrote: "well of course you lads wouldn't have a clue you're only new to this lark. Let me tell you how it is, when Jack Kyle kicked he put the other fellas under pressure, the players are too big now, of course he's going to get knocked out. The modern day jerseys make that impossible."
Haha!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought it was quite funny when Tom asked George what he thought about Payne and he said it didn't matter because he was more concerned with the fact that he's not actually Irish. This was literally about ten minutes before kick off and was entirely irrelevant. Conor O'Shea very pointedly interjected and said..."back to the rugby..."

In a lot of ways I really like Hook and think he's a very nice guy, but none of those reasons involve him being a pundit. He's become a parody of himself at this stage. I think it's a pity they didn't use him more in commentary, he's actually a totally different person doing that and very good at it.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
In a lot of ways I really like Hook and think he's a very nice guy,
Jaysus man. He hasn't got you codded too? :shock:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Perhaps! I just know of a kid who he organised to visit the RTE studio and meet everyone, and he really was great and made a big fuss of him. Also saw him take his Mary's team out for breakfast and was brilliant with all of them and really friendly to everyone else there. As much as he's a joke on the panel now, I think there was a time when he was genuinely entertaining.

You love "Robbo" so forgive me for this! :lol:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hook is a broken man since his attempted love affair with ROG backfired when he assumed ROG would as parochial and polemical as he he is

In happier news I like how ROG has backfired in a good way on RTE, he was being groomed to be the new Hook but instead is succinct, thoughtful, insightful and articulate

Hugh Cahill and or Darragh Moloney used to use this forum for research too, got referenced on the RTE podcast once or twice
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Perhaps! I just know of a kid who he organised to visit the RTE studio and meet everyone, and he really was great and made a big fuss of him. Also saw him take his Mary's team out for breakfast and was brilliant with all of them and really friendly to everyone else there. As much as he's a joke on the panel now, I think there was a time when he was genuinely entertaining.
That charm must have worked on his missus at some stage too.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:Hook is a broken man since his attempted love affair with ROG backfired when he assumed ROG would as parochial and polemical as he he is

In happier news I like how ROG has backfired in a good way on RTE, he was being groomed to be the new Hook but instead is succinct, thoughtful, insightful and articulate

Hugh Cahill and or Darragh Moloney used to use this forum for research too, got referenced on the RTE podcast once or twice
Alas, now we are just the extremist fan boy forum!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Perhaps! I just know of a kid who he organised to visit the RTE studio and meet everyone, and he really was great and made a big fuss of him. Also saw him take his Mary's team out for breakfast and was brilliant with all of them and really friendly to everyone else there.
Thats fair enough. I've met him myself and found him to be a decent friendly guy. He's also done more than his fair share of work for charity and local schools.

However, put him in a studio and ask him about rugby and he turns into a total pile of poo.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Hook is a broken man since his attempted love affair with ROG backfired when he assumed ROG would as parochial and polemical as he he is

Alas, now we are just the extremist fan boy forum!
dont think Hugh Cahill has gone near the internet since he tweeted looking for suggestions for Against the Head
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He got served his arse on a plate there.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Funny moment of the game.
Big Dev playing at scrum-half passing the ball from ruck to first receiver......POC.
Total Rugby!!!!!!!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Logorrhea wrote:However, put him in a studio and ask him about rugby and he turns into a total pile of poo.
He's a professional wind up artist.

He's the Daily Mail Online of rugby pundits. He'll find the issue he think will get most people irate and bludgeons the build-up, half-time and post-match with as often as possible.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:He got served his arse on a plate there.
yeah he tried to defend Frankie Sheehan, no man can do that
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:He got served his arse on a plate there.
yeah he tried to defend Frankie Sheehan, no man can do that

No man alive ... .