Reduce number of players

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Reduce number of players

Post by Peg Leg »

Sionnach wrote:Mandatory headgear in American Football just led to more and more head clashes and it's not as if they have no problems with concussion.

I don't think it's a 'no brainer' to introduce mandatory headgear at all.
+1
Thought there was a study a few yrs back that someone referenced on here RE: a players willingness to stick his head where he normally wouldn't with a ..... SCRUM CAP.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Sionnach wrote:Mandatory headgear in American Football just led to more and more head clashes and it's not as if they have no problems with concussion.

I don't think it's a 'no brainer' to introduce mandatory headgear at all.
Missing the most important points though
-in NFL they introduced the high protection head gear (which scrum caps simply aren't)
- Tackling in NFL is completely different to rugby - while rugby is huge contact theirs is all contact and collision - the play ends with a successful tackle
- Hits to and by the head were permitted ( I think)
- The NFL used the helmet as a weapon by launching head first tackles on quarterbacks etc

These simply don't apply to rugby

Hurling is a better example - intrudced helmets for everyone at underage level and then spread that to the entire game - those helemets aren't going to prevent concussion (mouth guards I undertand are actually better in that sense) but it does limit injury. Scrum caps don't do anything for concussion but will hjelp with cuts etc (think it was Thornley pointing out with the blood bin and the concussion bin - its a desperate look for the game - constanmt ion and out with injury)

On the enhanced bravery when wearing the scrum caps => the studies form that I think are about 10-15 years old - that education based and no reason not to insist on all underage players wearing scrum caps - and then in time introducing it to the senior game
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Missing the most important points though
-in NFL they introduced the high protection head gear (which scrum caps simply aren't)
- Tackling in NFL is completely different to rugby - while rugby is huge contact theirs is all contact and collision - the play ends with a successful tackle
- Hits to and by the head were permitted ( I think)
- The NFL used the helmet as a weapon by launching head first tackles on quarterbacks etc
all very good points -- however, I think the point being debated is that the danger of concussion will not be offset by mandatory or improved headgear. Over the last decade or so tackles seem to have gotten higher and higher. When I played any contact above the shoulder was a high tackle -- now high tackles only seem to be called for swinging arms. The obvious reason for tackle high instead of low is to prevent the pass or offload out of the tackle, so it is a deliberate tactic that is being coached to players, possibly even at under age level?

Surely the simplest way to counteract dangerous play is to legislate against it in the laws of the game, any tackle above the chest line, or armpits maybe? should be illegal. We have seen a sharp reduction in tip tackles, tackles in the air, short arm tackles since they have enforced laws against them -- why not then take the same approach to reduce the frequency of head collisions?

I know this would not take care of incidents like George North's head collision with James Haskell's knee, but this is where responsible player and medical management must take over.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

tackling below the waist is certainly 1 way possible law change, I was always taught to tackle around the legs, this new trend of tackling at chest level seems to be a way to try and stop the off load. Not faulting sexton;s courage or commitment but on a return from concussion was it really a good idea to be tackling basteraud in that manner?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder how many people were actually injured by tip tackles and yet they got disallowed?

Tackle technique probably need to improve as well. I don't know about anyone else but I was only every taught how to tackle side on when I started out, so dump tackles, front on tackles and choke tackles were just learnt through trial and error without any coaching input. I know the pros will have coaching in those regards but I would imagine that if teenagers are drilled in say the choke tackle (both running into traffic and defending it) then they'll naturally be better prepared and used to it as they get older.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

JB1973 wrote:tackling below the waist is certainly 1 way possible law change, I was always taught to tackle around the legs, this new trend of tackling at chest level seems to be a way to try and stop the off load. Not faulting sexton;s courage or commitment but on a return from concussion was it really a good idea to be tackling basteraud in that manner?
Was saying the same the other day. You tackle below the waist you allow for off loading which opens up the game. This plus substitutions only for genuinely injury are law changes I would consider to make the game more interesting and stop the freak show that leagues like the Top 14 have become. Rugby is fundamentally a great game because its built on the premise that the objective is to get round players and gain territory - I kind of enjoyed the France game because it was tense and controlled but I'm not sure I'd be up for watching that week in week out!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

by LeRouxIsPHat » 20 Feb 2015, 13:41

I wonder how many people were actually injured by tip tackles and yet they got disallowed?

Tackle technique probably need to improve as well. I don't know about anyone else but I was only every taught how to tackle side on when I started out, so dump tackles, front on tackles and choke tackles were just learnt through trial and error without any coaching input. I know the pros will have coaching in those regards but I would imagine that if teenagers are drilled in say the choke tackle (both running into traffic and defending it) then they'll naturally be better prepared and used to it as they get older.
I would be very interested to see to see the stats on tip tackles also -- not sure if any are available, but it does seem likely that driving someone into the ground head first is pretty hazardous behavior. So not bringing to tackled players' legs above parallel seems to be erring on the side of caution.

wrt teenagers being coached in tackling -- you can rest assured that in the big rugby playing schools in Leinster they are being coached to at least a semi-professional level, the time and dedication put into youths at this level is almost scary.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I don't watch rugby league much if I'm honest. I find it boring and predictable. They reduced the numbers didn't they? I wonder if there is any connection.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I don't watch rugby league much if I'm honest. I find it boring and predictable. They reduced the numbers didn't they? I wonder if there is any connection.
Here's the best I can do: looks like a club owner wanted to put bums on seats

https://tony-collins.squarespace.com/ru ... -13-a-side
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5 ... +Union.pdf
So not surprisingly, within weeks of the 1895 split the Northern Union re-started the discussion about the rules of rugby. Halifax and Leeds both proposed an immediate switch to thirteen-a-side.

Leeds official Harry Sewell said that ‘we want to do away with that scrummaging, pushing and thrusting game, which is not football, and that is why I propose to abolish the line-out and reduce the number of forwards to six. The football public does not pay to see a lot of scrummaging’.

In December 1895 Halifax’s Joe Nicholl called for Northern Union rugby to be played ‘by thirteen players on each side and to consist of six forwards, two half backs, four threequarters and one full back’.

To make a more exciting brand of rugby, the NU was slowly moving the game away from rugby union rules. In 1897 the line-out had been abolished on the grounds that more often than not it led to a scrum.

And in the same year the value of all goals had been reduced to two points, making tries the main method of scoring. Tries were worth three points and all goals worth just two points, in contrast to union’s three-point penalty goals and four-point drop goals.