Anthony Foley
16%

Total votes: 49

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Who would you play at 13?

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:[
Darcy - past it People have been saying that for 12 years. It has to be true eventually.
Unfortunately "eventually" may have arrived and we can only hope that Joe realises it - Signs are that he has.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Earls had a decent game and showed some nice passing this weekend but its the exception to the rule and generally his passes tend to find touch so he's just not an option for me and I would remove him from the list.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't get the thinking that Olding is too small. One game where he struggled against Basteraud apart, his size has never been an issue. He's strong in contact both in defence and attack.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Its not going to be Luke anyway. It looks like he is aiming for the bench.
"Joe mentioned it to Matty (O'Connor) and I mentioned to him as well, that Joe was looking at me as primarily as a winger," he revealed.

"I would say more as a utility option and cover on the bench for that centre spot but primarily a winger and I think he (O'Connor) wanted to put me in the shop window a bit.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 12965.html
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

The current first choice 9 - 15 are the best players at the moment. Why change, just to get an extra Munster or Leinster play in the starting line up?

Earls and fitz are good enough and experienced but neither has played enough since injury to oust the starters. Great guys to have knocking on the door, Trimble and DK are also in that bracket (as is Jones but just at FB).

Keatley, Madigan and Jackson - Madigan, Marshal, Cave, Olding etc. are a step down from what we have but can do the job if required.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Luke threw one especially beautiful flat 30 m pass against Zebre to create an overlap
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Luke threw one especially beautiful flat 30 m pass against Zebre to create an overlap
Nothing against Payne- (he might be a real rival for Rob at FB) but a Henshaw/ Luke combo seems to me to be the most exciting prospect longer term. Earls would have a really valid claim there too. I wouldn't complain if he got the nod at the moment, but I see him as more a wing option; more so than Luke.

But there's no way Joe will break up the current partnership- short of injury forcing it. Luke was really unlucky with illness and minor injuries at a time when I think Joe's mind was open on the pairings.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

simonokeeffe wrote:Luke threw one especially beautiful flat 30 m pass against Zebre to create an overlap

That's all well and good but one time, five years ago, he over ran a pass while playing on the wing for the Lions so everyone on the internet who hasn't bothered watching him play since knows that his timing is off.

Earls was really creative and passed well in the centre recently btw.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:

That's all well and good but one time, five years ago, he over ran a pass while playing on the wing for the Lions so everyone on the internet who hasn't bothered watching him play since knows that his timing is off.

it was the Steve Walsh's hair of passes
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

it was the Steve Walsh's hair of passes
Swoon . . .
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

johng mentioned earlier in this thread that experimenting mid 6Nations was madness. I agree that experimenting going into a potential title decider with England is not the time to experiment but IF we lose next Sunday England will be pretty nailed on as Champions and then the last games against Wales and Scotland are exactly games when we should be experimenting. Possibly not with the starting 15 but with set plays, systems and also with alternative combinations after 50/60 minutes etc. The games leading up to the RWC in August September will be nothing like as valuable as these games will be in terms of their competitive nature.
Four Stars
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

says a lot that the incumbent Ireland 13 tied with Anthony Foley in the poll
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

simonokeeffe wrote:says a lot that the incumbent Ireland 13 tied with Anthony Foley in the poll
In the old days Foley won every poll.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

simonokeeffe wrote:says a lot that the incumbent Ireland 13 tied with Anthony Foley in the poll
Don't think that says an awful lot tbh, I think the poll overall just says that a Leinster fans site would rather a Leinster player wear number 13. Quelle surprise, gentlemen, I think our biases have been revealed.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Don't think that says an awful lot tbh, I think the poll overall just says that a Leinster fans site would rather a Leinster player wear number 13. Quelle surprise, gentlemen, I think our biases have been revealed.
ah I think it says a bit about the (mis)perception of Payne at 13 amongst Irish rugby fans
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
ah I think it says a bit about the (mis)perception of Payne at 13 amongst Irish rugby fans
Well I think he's been solid enough (Payne) and I see no sign of Mr. Schmidt swapping him out. In fact just thinking about it can I change my vote?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Well I think he's been solid enough (Payne) and I see no sign of Mr. Schmidt swapping him out. In fact just thinking about it can I change my vote?
Are you going for Murray?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Unfortunately not an option, anyway, was that not your idea?

offshorerules wrote: ...sexton could be a great scrum half and Murray should play in the centre.
More than willing to back you up on this if you need the support though :D
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Unfortunately not an option, anyway, was that not your idea?

offshorerules wrote: ...sexton could be a great scrum half and Murray should play in the centre.
No not my idea if you check. Only having a laugh.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

offshorerules wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Unfortunately not an option, anyway, was that not your idea?

No not my idea if you check. Only having a laugh.

Yup, that was the other lad.

:D , was just trying out an auld quote mining experiment, it's fun alright, but I feel all dirty now. :D

Oh and just to do it to death, I don't think SOB should be moved to 8, was just pointing out that the analogy was a total red herring.