8%
Anthony Foley
16%

Total votes: 49

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Who would you play at 13?

Post by RoboProp »

I've not been bowled over with Payne at OC and personally would prefer Lukey to get a crack against England. Two chances I know. Let's put it to the poll
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Who would you play at 13?

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

For me Robbie Henshaw has impressed most at OC over last season or so, big strong fast with a good head on him. Have to say Payne has done little wrong so fa, and much as I love Lukey boy, he has always disappointed me Slightly at OC, though this may be due to not having an extended run there, and therefore not really having a chance to settle.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Henshaw ideally. Which would put Luke or earls 23.

But the problem with that is who at 12? If we are sticking with Henshaw at 12 I'd put Luke at 13 on the basis that he's the next best candidate now but you can't rely on him to not get injured by the world cup.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Wherws the "I'll trust Joe because he knows his sh*t" option

I think Payne has been doing a real solid job. Cant find fault with any of his performances so far.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Logorrhea wrote:Wherws the "I'll trust Joe because he knows his sh*t" option

I think Payne has been doing a real solid job. Cant find fault with any of his performances so far.
That'll be the option where you were suggesting moving Payne to 15?

:D

Second guessing selection is what we do.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

by fourthirtythree » 21 Feb 2015, 21:22

Henshaw ideally. Which would put Luke or earls 23.
put Luke at 13 on the basis that he's the next best candidate now but you can't rely on him to not get injured by the world cup.
To be honest you couldn't rely on him not to get injured by next Tuesday, poor lad.
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

He's very sound in defence but I don't think Fitzy is what Joe's looking for in attack. He sometimes doesn't time his trail runs well, and his passing can be wayward
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Brendan Macken!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

If this was south australand Harrison Brewer would have a load of caps by now :mrgreen:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I actually think Henshaw at 12 for Connacht would be a much better combination with Aki at provincial level as Aki never passes other than offloads

Henshaw is probably both our best 12 and 13 at international level but we just have much better options at 13 than 12

Luke for 13 for me
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote: Henshaw is probably both our best 12 and 13 at international level but we just have much better options at 13 than 12
I know Olding is injured and Marshall hasn't had a decent run of games either for a long time, but it's mad how much that has changed in the last year.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: Henshaw is probably both our best 12 and 13 at international level but we just have much better options at 13 than 12
I know Olding is injured and Marshall hasn't had a decent run of games either for a long time, but it's mad how much that has changed in the last year.
Madigans versatility blocks him a little but would love Olding on the bench at some stage but yeah

Marshall needs to move

Would happily take him here for when Darcy is put out to stud
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Payne has been very steady and I think he and Henshaw will develop into a very solid partnership.
Given his history of injuries, I don't think Luke would last physically as 13 at international level.
He has a lot to offer still as a wing and off the bench.
Olding got injured at just the wrong time to give Joe time to look at a partnership of Olding and Henshaw.
Marshall's concussion history is a concern too.
Which only leaves a Madigan/Henshaw partnership as the other realistic partnership.
When you look at the options it looks like Joe has got it right again.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Oldschool wrote:Payne has been very steady and I think he and Henshaw will develop into a very solid partnership.
Given his history of injuries, I don't think Luke would last physically as 13 at international level.
He has a lot to offer still as a wing and off the bench.
Olding got injured at just the wrong time to give Joe time to look at a partnership of Olding and Henshaw.
Marshall's concussion history is a concern too.
Which only leaves a Madigan/Henshaw partnership as the other realistic partnership.
When you look at the options it looks like Joe has got it right again.
I agree with all of the above - too heavy on the Schmidt praise imo though. He actually hasn't had many options (especially at 12) with injuries etc. I think Henshaw Payne have been better than people here are saying - very solid and there are definite glimpses of what they could do together. Don't know if Olding Henshaw was ever really in the mix - Olding is a huge talent but v small, v raw and constantly injured. I'm not convinced we are getting the best out of Henshaw playing him as we are - would love to see a Madigan/Henshaw combo
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I think perhaps we have too many options and not enough games before the WC. He has nailed his colours to the mast with Henshaw and Payne, and unless it is all a ruse to get England expecting that, then I'd stick with it for the tournament.

Agree on Mads Henshaw. Not sure Mads is ready yet though. TBH there are several combos that could be good. If Darce was in better form I would have him there to give solid experience (with Sexton) inside Henshaw.

Experimenting mid 6N is madness though.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Darcy shouldn't be anywhere near contention

I actually think Henshaw and Payne could work well - very much a pairing rather than an out and 12 and an out and out 13

Don't see why Madigan wouldn't be ready - he's nearly 26 - has huge experience at this stage (think over 100 games for Leinster) about 10-15 caps and in the squad for over 2 years anmd has experience at 12. Madigans failings are well documented - he has issues in game control/tactical kicking etc - I think he has the making of a far better 12 than 10, where his weak points will be far less visible and his huge plus points can be equally as visible

All depends on gameplan I suppose - and he maybe iusn't suited to 12 the way we are playing.

I can't see very many changes to the team between now and the WC to be honest - I don't think he'll change much for the rest of the 6N- the warm up games are a very difficult time to impress and Schmidt does tend to to be very conservative selection wise

Yopu could nearly say that Best, Healy, POC, Toner, POM, SOB, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Henshaw, Bowe, Kearney are nailed on in the 15 with Moore, Cronin, McGrath, Henderson, Reddan, Madigan nailed on the bench.

That leaves 5 spots - Ross will probably still be starting for the foreseeable (certainly for the 6N), Payne will probably start for the 6N (and I reckon will be pretty much nailed on (not sure if he'll want to build another centre partnership), Zebo will probably start for the rest of the 6N (and then Trimble, Earls & Fitz come into the equation). Backrow bench spot is probably between Ruddock and Henry (if fit). Outside Back is between Earls, Fitz, Jones poss McFadden
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

There will be injuries to some of those players between the WC and now. I don't mind who starts at 13 just so long as its not Earls.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

offshorerules wrote:There will be injuries to some of those players between the WC and now. I don't mind who starts at 13 just so long as its not Earls.
The old chestnut
Think you might be suprised . Our centre options are
Marshall, Olding, Darcy, MCloskey, Madigan, Payne, Henshaw, Fitz, Earls, Cave

Darcy - past it
Olding - too small,inexperienced and broken(hard to see him making WC squad tbh)
Marshall - possibility but injuries have really seen him slip down the pecking order
McCloskey - too soon
Madigan - noyt something that Schmidt has gone for thus far - hard to see that changing now
Cave - possibly but again hard to see - just not able to make the step up
Henshaw - nailed on at either 12/13
Payne - in pole position for 13 jersey for foreseeable
Fitz- confirmed that Schmidt sees him more as a winger (capable of covering the centre from the bench obv)

Given all the above I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Earls given game time at 13 in the WC warm up games - and he'd be fine - I actually think he'd work well the way we are playing at the moment

In reality Fitz at 13 would be more of a risk than Earls at 13 - I think all fit they are fighting it out for the 23 spot (with probably Trimble and Payne at 11 and 13)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Golf Man wrote:
offshorerules wrote:There will be injuries to some of those players between the WC and now. I don't mind who starts at 13 just so long as its not Earls.
The old chestnut
Think you might be suprised . Our centre options are
Marshall, Olding, Darcy, MCloskey, Madigan, Payne, Henshaw, Fitz, Earls, Cave

Darcy - past it People have been saying that for 12 years. It has to be true eventually.
Olding - too small,inexperienced and broken(hard to see him making WC squad tbh) He might make it as emergency 10 cover if only one of Keatley/Madigan/Jackson go
Marshall - possibility but injuries have really seen him slip down the pecking order
McCloskey - too soon
Madigan - noyt something that Schmidt has gone for thus far - hard to see that changing now
Cave - possibly but again hard to see - just not able to make the step up
Henshaw - nailed on at either 12/13
Payne - in pole position for 13 jersey for foreseeable
Fitz- confirmed that Schmidt sees him more as a winger (capable of covering the centre from the bench obv) Didn't see where he said this. May even be true.

Given all the above I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Earls given game time at 13 in the WC warm up games - and he'd be fine - I actually think he'd work well the way we are playing at the moment

In reality Fitz at 13 would be more of a risk than Earls at 13 - I think all fit they are fighting it out for the 23 spot (with probably Trimble and Payne at 11 and 13)
For the record I think Earls is looking good. Some very nice long passes this week. (Which you would look for in a centre) I just think he is better on the wing. From your list though. I would say someone at 12 with Henshaw at 13 is a likely if Payne gets hurt, otherwise it's a shootout between Earls and Fitz for 13. Defence a little suspect at 13 for Earls. That is Fitzer's strong suit.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

johng wrote:
For the record I think Earls is looking good. Some very nice long passes this week. (Which you would look for in a centre) I just think he is better on the wing. From your list though. I would say someone at 12 with Henshaw at 13 is a likely if Payne gets hurt, otherwise it's a shootout between Earls and Fitz for 13. Defence a little suspect at 13 for Earls. That is Fitzer's strong suit.
Not sure how strong his defence at 13 really is (when has been tested, very little exposure there at top level) - its not bad but I don't think any of eth options at 13 are amazing defensively.

Earls does seem better on the wing but in this gameplan might be better at 13. Being honest they both suffer from being versatile. Having them both in contention is great wherever they play. I'd agree on Henshaw to 13 if Payne got injured but that's changing two positions when you could just change 1 which we know is a big Schmidt thing - also not sure who the option at 12 is - I'd have Madigan but doesn't seem to be a Schmidt thing - I reckon he is going to keep Henshaw at 12 up to an including the WC - possibly McCloskey, Olding, Marshall may step up then and allow Henshaw to move out