Wayne Barnes

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Wayne Barnes

Post by fourthirtythree »

JB1973 wrote:A captain calling the ref an "effing cheat" during the game is totally wrong and it doesn't matter if it was Hartley or Alun Wyn Jones saying it I would still say the same.

Hartley was rightly banned and there can be no excuse or defence for that sort of behaviour on a rugby field.

why would Barnes go out to cheat Northampton? unless people think he took a bung or he is a closet Leicester fan, why would he risk his career and reputation to influence the Aviva final manner in such a way?

The word cheat seems to be creeping into the game more and more when it comes to refs.

Rolland got blasted for "cheating" Wales in the world cup semi when there was clearly a foul committed

We have had lam more or less accusing hodges of it the other day and MOC accused the ref of costing you guys the Scarlets game.

We constantly hear chants of cheat cheat cheat at welsh grounds if decisions go against the home team (especially Rodney parade and parc y scarlets)

I have no issue with people calling refs inept or out of their depth, but cheat is something else and I really don't think refs go our to cheat anyone.

Forgive me, I only heard it live and was laughing at Hartleys self immolation: he was of course on a warning and knew what to expect. He was basically asking to get sent off. Of course the ref is not cheating, and never is as far as I'm concerned no matter how much I may disagree with him. And on further viewing after being at a match I find they are more often right and I wrong even from my one eyed stance. None of the above applies to touch judges, TMOs, nor citing commissioners. They sometimes are cheats engaged in cheating.

Anyway, I was under the impression that he called him a f%~king c**t. I was very sympathetic to his opinion.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

watched the game again and some of the decisions are odd....he seems to have enforced different rules in the second half with the breakdown. can't help but wonder after watching it a second time whether there was a dictum to be especially harsh with the irish game....no bumper weekend for the unions if Ireland had of won on sat. plus...there was a lot of moaning about "boring rugby" in the press....

that said, wales's defence was stunning.....plus we missed two certain tries and the lineout losses from 5 metres out cost us....only ourselves to blame.
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Some good analysis of Barnes' refereeing of the scrum here:

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/wales-ire ... ysis/17735

Although I'm not sure the guy who wrote this piece is right in saying that McGrath was correctly penalised for taking the step left before going forward. To me it looked as if there was weight coming on from his right, and he stepped to the left to stay on his feet. Imo there was no intent to whip the scrum around. Refs are too keen to jump on teams when the scrum does wheel nowadays. What's happened to the 'gone through 90 degrees so it's a turnover' thing that used to happen a lot?
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Steve Walsh has retired from all forms of officiating
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Tricky Dicky wrote:Some good analysis of Barnes' refereeing of the scrum here:

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/wales-ire ... ysis/17735

Although I'm not sure the guy who wrote this piece is right in saying that McGrath was correctly penalised for taking the step left before going forward. To me it looked as if there was weight coming on from his right, and he stepped to the left to stay on his feet. Imo there was no intent to whip the scrum around. Refs are too keen to jump on teams when the scrum does wheel nowadays. What's happened to the 'gone through 90 degrees so it's a turnover' thing that used to happen a lot?
good link. interesting analysis.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

I still can't understand what he was doing.

I can only imagine how the WRU or RFU or their employees would have reacted had either of their teams been on the receiving end of something like that.

If an isolated call gets ballsed up you can understand - a momentary lapse. But Barnes botched almost everything. Quite incomrehensible.

Having said that, well done Wales. Still third best team in Europe.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

berniemac67 wrote:I still can't understand what he was doing.

I can only imagine how the WRU or RFU or their employees would have reacted had either of their teams been on the receiving end of something like that.

If an isolated call gets ballsed up you can understand - a momentary lapse. But Barnes botched almost everything. Quite incomrehensible.

Having said that, well done Wales. Still third best team in Europe.

But still good enough to beat the best side in europe :D

Seriously you need to lighten up, you won the tournament enjoy it!
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Not sure exactly when he started, but I seem to remember the first time I saw him he was reffing the final of the middlesex sevens, going back a while now... I remember the commentators saying during that game that he seemed a little whistle happy and maybe it was because it was his first big match. Tbh tho I dont buy that he was the cause of the Wales loss. We only have ourselves to blame for that, extremely poor lineout was the cause in my opinion, not Barnes...
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Nobody complained about him after HEC SF in Bordeaux. You win some you lose some.
Dont Panic!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Dexter wrote:Nobody complained about him after HEC SF in Bordeaux. You win some you lose some.
True.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Pretty sure a lot of people did, tmo was a hero though. Who ref'd the home QF v Clermont? He was brilliant
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

Peg Leg wrote:Pretty sure a lot of people did, tmo was a hero though. Who ref'd the home QF v Clermont? He was brilliant
As far as I can remember, brilliant is the correct word. That was Dave Pearson.
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Rémy63 wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Pretty sure a lot of people did, tmo was a hero though. Who ref'd the home QF v Clermont? He was brilliant

Pearson is perfect.

Only french speakers can understand that.

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

VGE wrote:
Rémy63 wrote:

Pearson is perfect.

Only french speakers can understand that.

Au revoir.
:lol:
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

FrankBurke wrote: March 14th, 2015, 8:47 pm How long has Wayne Barnes been an international ref?
8 and a half years after this thread started;

Over 100 Test matches
273 English Premiership games
17 Six Nations tournaments
10 Premiership finals
27 World Cup games.

Wayne has just given you his answer to the first question: lets all think about the last paragraph (in particular) and leave the last word on this thread to Wayne...

"Over the past 20 years, I have been in the middle of some of the greatest rugby matches in history.

"I have seen some of the world's best players and worked with some of the finest coaches the game has ever produced.

"Last Saturday, I was privileged to referee the Rugby World Cup final between two of the most iconic teams in sport; the All Blacks and the Springboks. People often say you will know when it is the right time to retire, and this is clearly the right time for me and for my family.

"My children have missed out on time with their dad for far too long and I am now looking forward to family weekends, sports matches, school assemblies and birthday parties.

"My wife, Polly, has sacrificed more than anyone so that I have been able to achieve some of my personal goals. While I have been away most weekends and for decent chunks of the year, she has had to juggle being an amazing mum with two active children, along with holding down a hugely successful career of her own.

"I will continue to advocate for referees and work closely with the International Rugby Match Officials’ association to ensure match officials across the globe not only have a collective voice but also the appropriate support network for them and their families, particularly as online abuse and threats have become far too regular for all of those involved in the game."
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

I think that he developed into a decent ref although last week's final was not one of his better games. Very nice bloke too
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Was my favourite ref the last while. Hope he enjoys his retirement.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The Hartley sending off is one of my favourite rugby memories so I hope Wayne enjoys his retirement though I know he has another job already in law.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

enby wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:32 pm I think that he developed into a decent ref although last week's final was not one of his better games. Very nice bloke too
Got a fair bit of abuse for it too. First thing I thought when I saw the announcement.

Referenced abuse in his thoughtful well-written announcement.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

My enduring memories of Wayne Barnes' reffing career:

1. When he red-carded Hartley for cursing at him in the middle of the Prem final.

2. The end of that crazy France vs Wales match with scrum reset after scrum reset on the Wales line, whereby the game lasted at least 10 mins longer than it should have.

Controversial decisions he may have made against Ireland and Leinster? C'est la vie!!! 😉
Last edited by riocard911 on November 3rd, 2023, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.