Wayne Barnes

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

FrankBurke
Mullet

Wayne Barnes

Post by FrankBurke »

How long has Wayne Barnes been an international ref?

In that time what has our winning percentage been in our games which he has refereed?

In that time what has our winning percentage been in our games he hasn't refereed?
rookie
Graduate

Re: Wayne Barnes

Post by rookie »

FrankBurke wrote:How long has Wayne Barnes been an international ref?

In that time what has our winning percentage been in our games which he has refereed?

In that time what has our winning percentage been in our games he hasn't refereed?
Well there's 3 questions in row that I couldn't give a f%~k as to what the answers are!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

He is the Jeremy Clarkson of international referees.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

I could not care less either that he gave a 12 point start to Wales 'cos we should have hauled that margin back with ease.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Don't know about any of that but WB was the ref when we won the GS against Wales in the Millenium Stadium in 09.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

outcast eddie wrote:

Don't know about any of that but WB was the ref when we won the GS against Wales in the Millenium Stadium in 09.
As Thornily pointed out in his IT article on Saturday morning, we had a 13-4 penalty count against us in that game.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near international games.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I quite enjoyed his patronising feedback to the players throughout the game. Regarding the penalties, you'd have to think someone of his superiors had a go about it being a penalty fest.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

At half time that is
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

As I pointed out yesterday. Ireland had 2/3rds of possession but just one more penalty than Wales. Ireland had the stronger scrum but Wales seemed to get most of the decisions. They were also given easy penalties to start off with. And the fiasco at the end.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

UK twitter consensus was Wales get 2 yellow cards and a penalty try and Ireland still moaning about ref

Very good point raised, apologies on forgetting source, was when Wales conceded penalty try they were on a warning yet no yellow card too PLUS that would have been second yellow for Warburton, so traditional bottling of red card in Ireland Wales game :)

Joe said Barnes didnt enforce tackle zone same way second half as in first

thats taking the ref in isolation
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

simonokeeffe wrote:UK twitter consensus was Wales get 2 yellow cards and a penalty try and Ireland still moaning about ref

Very good point raised, apologies on forgetting source, was when Wales conceded penalty try they were on a warning yet no yellow card too PLUS that would have been second yellow for Warburton, so traditional bottling of red card in Ireland Wales game :)

Is it not an automatic yellow card offence if you're deemed to have fowled professionally to stop a try? So penalty try and yellow card by the letter of the law?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Perhaps we should be going a bit easy on the slagging of Barnes.

Garces is due to ref us v Scotland but he pulled out of Saturday's game with an injury so don't you know they're going to give us Barnes instead!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Xanthippe wrote:Perhaps we should be going a bit easy on the slagging of Barnes.

Garces is due to ref us v Scotland but he pulled out of Saturday's game with an injury so don't you know they're going to give us Barnes instead!!!
Congrats England!
Barnes will surely deserve MOTM, he was robbed of the award last saturday
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

TerenureJim wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:UK twitter consensus was Wales get 2 yellow cards and a penalty try and Ireland still moaning about ref

Is it not an automatic yellow card offence if you're deemed to have fowled professionally to stop a try? So penalty try and yellow card by the letter of the law?
yes pretty much, is whats done most often, even on retreating scrums if ref can single out a player
Xanthippe wrote:Perhaps we should be going a bit easy on the slagging of Barnes.

Steve Walsh save us, youre our only hope
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

playing the ref is now almost a skill In the game in the same way playing with say the elements is.

Ireland and Leinster under Joe have always been very good at reading refs and adjusting to the on field decisions, as shown by the usual low penalty count and lack of sin bins you pick up.

Barnes clearly was very hot on you at not rolling away at the breakdown and it is something you adjusted to at half time but not before it had cost you 12 points.

You looked to be the dominant side in the scrum and I'm surprised you didn't get more penalty's in that area of the game (especially the last scrum of the game which seemed a blatant penalty to Ireland), if say Poite was reffing you would have got a lot more joy in that area.

I'm not saying Barnes got everything right (in fact I think he got a lot wrong) but I'm sure he would not as that youtube clip suggests have cheated Ireland, comments like that do nothing for our game and neither do the wales vs Ireland slanging matches that are evident in the comments to that video.

I have to say this forum and your coach have handled the defeat in a very dignified manner, I'm not so sure you'd get that on a forum like Gwlad
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Wales lost both first choice props and had two yellows during the game and Ireland still couldn't win. That was one of the best Wales performances I can remember and it coincided with one of the worst Ireland performances in recent memory. I won't comment on whether that was because of anything Wales did or not.

I don't begrudge Wales the win, it was well deserved but god I hate watching games with Barnes refereeing. The worst part of all this is that I now empathise with Dylan Hartley.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

I was very unhappy with WBs performance at the weekend but I agree with JB in that calling him a cheat does nothing and is frankly way out of order from the supposed 'fans' of the game.

The thing is that refereeing standards are all over the place, scrum and breakdown especially can be a complete lottery at times and the whole contact in the air debacle has made little to no sense in recent years. World Rugby really need to get the finger out and get all their refs reading from the same page (this doesn't mean giving the TMO more powers or more phases to look at). I have no idea what sort of training and analysis refs go through but it needs to be clearcut for any situation happening on the field so that there is no difference week to week no matter who is the ref.

I'm aware that this is all very ideal scenario thinking but World Rugby have to at least aim towards this to achieve better standards.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

simonokeeffe wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

yes pretty much, is whats done most often, even on retreating scrums if ref can single out a player

Steve Walsh save us, youre our only hope
Hows about Nigel Owens for Saturday - dont think he is down to ref......