Scotland v Ireland - Where to watch the game?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

awaydayfirst
Beginner

Scotland v Ireland - Where to watch the game?

Post by awaydayfirst »

Hi Guys

As you know next weekend should be fascinating with the different ways the 6 nations title could go. Im heading to Murrrayfield for the first time and im wondering where would be a good place to watch the matches? The wales game before the match and then the England game of course when we come out of the stadium. Somewhere with a big screen and a bit of atmosphere?

just for curiosity sake aswel, if Ireland were to win the title, what happens as regards a Trophy presentation?.. or do they not have one in that Instance?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Re: Scotland v Ireland - Where to watch the game?

Post by jimbobjoe »

Italy V Wales game will be finishing up about 10 mins before the Ireland game so I suggest getting out to one of the hotels near the stadium on Corstorphine Road early in the day. They should be quiet enough at 12.30 but will get fairly busy as the game approaches.
There's a 30-40 min gap between the Ireland and England games so you could attempt to get back into town by tram (10mins excl queues) or walking (20-30 mins and loads of people in your way). You could also try one of the hotels post-game but these will be heaving and possibly a bit messy.
Any pub in town will be showing the games although big screen options are limited - A nice pub with a big screen is the Pear Tree on West Nicholson Street or if you're looking for something a bit busier and rowdier in town, The Three Sisters on Cowgate will be busy.

As for trophy presentation, it'll be awarded to the winning team at the relevant hotel/stadium following the England game.
awaydayfirst
Beginner

Post by awaydayfirst »

Thanks JimBob... are you going yourself?

The relevant hotel?.. now that would be a strange one :)
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Yeah, I live in Edinburgh so going with a large mixed group of Irish and Scots.

I seem to remember England being presented the trophy in a hotel a few years back, it's always pretty muted.. just not the same as lifting it in the stadium.
As for which hotel, I've no idea where Ireland stay when in town. I know Scotland stay in the Apex Hotel on Waterloo Place so they could be hosting Ireland for the post-game dinner (do teams still do this?!).
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

jimbobjoe wrote:Yeah, I live in Edinburgh so going with a large mixed group of Irish and Scots.

I seem to remember England being presented the trophy in a hotel a few years back, it's always pretty muted.. just not the same as lifting it in the stadium.
As for which hotel, I've no idea where Ireland stay when in town. I know Scotland stay in the Apex Hotel on Waterloo Place so they could be hosting Ireland for the post-game dinner (do teams still do this?!).
The players have to go to the post match function all suited-up. Then, if they are really lucky, they can have the media photographers in their faces capturing their agony as they watch the Championship slip away, ready to put it all over the papers the following day so people can mock them.

Mind you, Ireland could be luckier than England were last year on that front with the final match kicking off so soon after Ireland finish. They may well still be fulfilling media duties etc at the stadium and might be able to hide somewhere private in there to watch the England-France match if it has come down to Ireland or England at that stage. Otherwise Wales will be sweating at a post-match function somewhere in Rome.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

The big screens in murrayfield will be showing the Wales game and likely the England game. They tend to keep the bars behind the north stand open.

Trying to get SRU to confirm this though.
awaydayfirst
Beginner

Post by awaydayfirst »

"The big screens in murrayfield will be showing the Wales game and likely the England game. They tend to keep the bars behind the north stand open.

Trying to get SRU to confirm this though"

Oh that would be ideal if that was the case.
awaydayfirst
Beginner

Post by awaydayfirst »

kermischocolate wrote:The big screens in murrayfield will be showing the Wales game and likely the England game. They tend to keep the bars behind the north stand open.

Trying to get SRU to confirm this though.
That would be ideal
awaydayfirst
Beginner

Post by awaydayfirst »

I found this on the SRU website so thats that sorted :)

http://www.scottishrugby.org/rbs-6-nations/faqs
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

In answer to the question of where the presentation of the trophy will be happening:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/m ... ix-nations

A presentation in an empty stadium could be slightly odd. If it all goes well everyone will have to leg it back to Murrayfield to give the lads a cheer on their way out!
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

If they're keeping all the big screens and bars open you'd think there would be enough stewards etc around to allow remaining fans into the west stand where any presentation is likely to be.

Unless of course it's presented in the rather large hospitality section.