Tbilisi Cup 2014-15

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Tbilisi Cup 2014-15

Post by cormac »

Emerging Ireland to play in a tournament in Georgia against Georgia, Uruguay and Emerging Italy from June 13-21.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Tbilisi Cup 2014-15

Post by leinsterforever »

I'd imagine they'll take a 28 man squad (3 hookers, 4 props, 3 locks, 6 backrowers, 3 9s, 2 10s, 3 centres, 4 back three players). I wonder whether players like Butler, Dougall and Hanrahan who are heading abroad will be considered. Griffin and Annett did play for Emerging Ireland when it was known they were leaving if memory serves
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinsterforever wrote:I'd imagine they'll take a 28 man squad (3 hookers, 4 props, 3 locks, 6 backrowers, 3 9s, 2 10s, 3 centres, 4 back three players). I wonder whether players like Butler, Dougall and Hanrahan who are heading abroad will be considered. Griffin and Annett did play for Emerging Ireland when it was known they were leaving if memory serves
speaking of, Annet started for Worcester ahead of Creevy for their championship semi final, must be doing something right so
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Presumably Ringrose will be with the U-20s, so who plays 13 on this tour? Luke Marshall? Noel Reid? Darragh Leader? Peter Nelson? Brendan Macken? Colm O'Shea? Chris Farrell? Tom Farrell? I think my personal preference would be for Noel Reid to be trialled there outside Stuart McCloskey. Reid's got great pace and passing ability.

I suppose Joe could decree that one of Earls or Cave would benefit from the game-time
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Tricky Dicky wrote:Presumably Ringrose will be with the U-20s, so who plays 13 on this tour? Luke Marshall? Noel Reid? Darragh Leader? Peter Nelson? Brendan Macken? Colm O'Shea? Chris Farrell? Tom Farrell? I think my personal preference would be for Noel Reid to be trialled there outside Stuart McCloskey. Reid's got great pace and passing ability.

I suppose Joe could decree that one of Earls or Cave would benefit from the game-time
McCloskey more viable as a 13 than Reid, Griffin or Sheridan at London Irish also might come into it
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:Presumably Ringrose will be with the U-20s, so who plays 13 on this tour? Luke Marshall? Noel Reid? Darragh Leader? Peter Nelson? Brendan Macken? Colm O'Shea? Chris Farrell? Tom Farrell? I think my personal preference would be for Noel Reid to be trialled there outside Stuart McCloskey. Reid's got great pace and passing ability.

McCloskey more viable as a 13 than Reid, Griffin or Sheridan at London Irish also might come into it
I dunno. I prefer when the physical centre is at 12, with the skill/invention coming from 13. You think Reid would be a weak link in defence? Surely he could pick that up with time. Even BOD was thought to be suspect in defence early on
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

thing is Reid has never played at 13
if weaker distributor is at 12 you lose whole 2nd receiver aspect and that 12 more likely to be a cul de sac and all the creativity falls on the 10

Chris Farrell probably the most qualified
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

simonokeeffe wrote:thing is Reid has never played at 13
if weaker distributor is at 12 you lose whole 2nd receiver aspect and that 12 more likely to be a cul de sac and all the creativity falls on the 10

Possibly, but I think McCloskey actually has pretty good handling skills for a big guy, and if the weaker distributor is at 13 wouldn't that mean that the wings are less likely to be brought into play? It's probably no harm if centres have experience in both positions so they can mix it up, like BOD and Darcy used to do
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Tricky Dicky wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:thing is Reid has never played at 13

Possibly, but I think McCloskey actually has pretty good handling skills for a big guy, and if the weaker distributor is at 13 wouldn't that mean that the wings are less likely to be brought into play? It's probably no harm if centres have experience in both positions so they can mix it up, like BOD and Darcy used to do
13 the decoy then and or its only a skip one pass

may have changed but think Ulster played him at 13 (in Europe) and he got found out
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

simonokeeffe wrote:13 the decoy then and or its only a skip one pass

may have changed but think Ulster played him at 13 (in Europe) and he got found out
They played McCloskey or Farrell at 13?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Tricky Dicky wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:13 the decoy then and or its only a skip one pass

They played McCloskey or Farrell at 13?
Ulster
leinsterforever
Mullet

Potential tourist Darragh Leader is out with a fractured finger
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

This years renewal will be a bit different. The selection is usually of guys on the fringe and upward trajectory. This year that will hold but there is a strong possibility of seeing a few senior guys who need game time. Guys who have been injured or need game time for Joe to see if they can do what he needs could be in the squad. I know the opposition might not be at the same standard but there are not many opportunities to play between now and the squad selection at the end of august.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Indo and IT starting to write that Ruddock, Trimble and Ryan will be sent for gametime

Dont think any other senior players fit that bill
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

simonokeeffe wrote:Indo and IT starting to write that Ruddock, Trimble and Ryan will be sent for gametime

If the opposition was of a higher quality we might have seen a few more as there is a group of guys fighting for the last spots on the plane who need opportunities to prove themselves.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fireworks wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Indo and IT starting to write that Ruddock, Trimble and Ryan will be sent for gametime

If the opposition was of a higher quality we might have seen a few more as there is a group of guys fighting for the last spots on the plane who need opportunities to prove themselves.
but then theyd effectively be playing 2 back to back seasons with no break if they made RWC
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Fireworks wrote:

but then theyd effectively be playing 2 back to back seasons with no break if they made RWC
If you had a chance of playing for your country in the WC would you worry about that.
leinsterforever
Mullet

leinsterforever wrote:I'd imagine they'll take a 28 man squad (3 hookers, 4 props, 3 locks, 6 backrowers, 3 9s, 2 10s, 3 centres, 4 back three players). I wonder whether players like Butler, Dougall and Hanrahan who are heading abroad will be considered. Griffin and Annett did play for Emerging Ireland when it was known they were leaving if memory serves
Actually last year it was only a 26-man party, so maybe lose a scrum-half and a back-rower from what I said
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

In the context of the RWC the scrumhalf position is the one position where a bolter may be necessary.
The SH selections for this tour could therefore be very significant.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LH Prop
Denis Buckley(24)
James Cronin(24)
Andy Warwick(24)

Hooker
Rob Herring(25)
Dave Heffernan(24)

TH Prop
Stephen Archer(27)
Finlay Bealham(23)

Lock
Billy Holland(29)
Ben Marshall(24)
Lewis Stevenson(30)

Backrow
Rhys Ruddock(23)
Dan Leavy(21)
Eoghan Masterson(22)
Eoin McKeon(23)
Frank Taggart(20)

Scrumhalf
John Cooney(25)
Luke McGrath(22)

Outhalf
JJ Hanrahan(22)
Rory Scannell(21)

Centre
Stuart McCloskey(22)
Noel Reid(24)
Eoin Griffin(24)

Back Three
Matt Healy(26)
Tiernan O'Halloran(24)
Cian Kelleher(20)
Andrew Conway(23)
Peter Nelson(22)
Last edited by goreyguy on May 19th, 2015, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.