Rugby World Cup (other teams)

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Rugby World Cup (other teams)

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not a fan of Joubert but really I just want to know why he ran off...never seen anything like it.
He thought he was going to get bundled into the boot of a car and driven up the Wicklow mountains?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not a fan of Joubert but really I just want to know why he ran off...never seen anything like it.
he needed the loo :wink:
According to Cheika someone threw a bottle at him - could he not have used that?
could Joubert have used some bottle...
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote:
FLIP wrote:Until now though they haven't been accountable. They miss a game or two, and are then back at the same level with no change in what they do. And these actions weren't ever announced, there was a culture omerta from the IRB.

This is the first time in my recollection that this has happened.
Of course they're accountable, more so than anyone else in the game. They are reviewed after every match with inputs from a variety of sources and are answerable to the governing body, their union, their association and their club. Who they aren't accountable to is to those who can't grasp one simple, solitary fact. It wasn't a penalty, it wasn't a yellow card, the Ref was correct.
Your pride must be one great thing Dave if you'd rather have it than admit Ireland were wronged. And as for the rest, where is the publication of these reports? Why do these mistakes rarely result in any change? Why do the public never hear about it apart from reports from so and so who spoke to so and so. The FIFA corruption debacle shows what happens when you keep "right and wrong" behind closed doors.
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

FLIP wrote:
Your pride must be one great thing Dave if you'd rather have it than admit Ireland were wronged. And as for the rest, where is the publication of these reports? Why do these mistakes rarely result in any change? Why do the public never hear about it apart from reports from so and so who spoke to so and so. The FIFA corruption debacle shows what happens when you keep "right and wrong" behind closed doors.
We weren't wronged. We were beaten. Two very different things. If you can't accept the latter, I'd suggest sport is not the pastime for you.
I have Bumbleflex
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Dave Cahill wrote:
FLIP wrote:
We weren't wronged. We were beaten. Two very different things. If you can't accept the latter, I'd suggest sport is not the pastime for you.
Well said Dave.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
He thought he was going to get bundled into the boot of a car and driven up the Wicklow mountains?
The Wicklow Mountains are quite beautiful around this time of the year. :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
FLIP wrote:
Well said Dave.
Would everyone be happy with.
We were both wronged and beaten.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
The Wicklow Mountains are quite beautiful around this time of the year. :lol:
wrong code, but perhaps a fitting punishment?

I wonder would they have used his own car ;)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
he needed the loo :wink:
According to Cheika someone threw a bottle at him - could he not have used that?
:lol:

Tom English was on second captains and said the bottle thing was ludicrous, apparently he couldn't have seen it and was already running off.

My guess/hope is that he saw the replay on the big screen and just felt terrible about it...anything else though....

Have to say I thought he was right at the time, looked very much like it bounced off Cowan live, Joubert was actually in a good position to see it properly though, don't really get how he missed Phipps touching it.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:We weren't wronged. We were beaten. Two very different things. If you can't accept the latter, I'd suggest sport is not the pastime for you.
Well said Dave.
Would everyone be happy with.
We were both wronged and beaten.
We wouldn't have been beaten if we weren't wronged.

God forbid that I have to download a copy of the game and do a frame by frame analysis of the ruck. Not something I feel like doing but if needs must.

If you can't accept we were wronged I suggest you keep up the head in the sand approach, which will change nothing, while the Welsh and Scottish do complain and get results, rightly or not.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Lest anyone be in doubt. We need to get a chip on our shoulder and keep it!
And on that very point. SOB got a one match ban for a "punch".
Itchy and Ross got off following a lot of bitching, biting and bollocking.
The Scots very cleverly manipulated SOB's ban and got off with nothing for a far more serious offence.
Bottom line they got a lot close to beating their QF opponents than we did and at guess a fair bit of this was down to righteous indignation.
Next time.........................
The NZders nearly killed BOD and we did nothing. And ultimately some of nearest and dearest told him to stop moaning.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Have to say I thought he was right at the time, looked very much like it bounced off Cowan live, Joubert was actually in a good position to see it properly though, don't really get how he missed Phipps touching it.
I don't know how he missed it. It was clear to me that the ball went forward from a Scottish hand, into Phipps, backward off Phipps and was then played by a Scottish player. Your brain can work pretty quickly: once it had touched off Phipps, it seemed obvious to me that the only thing he could do was go back for the scrum to Australia because of the knock-on. It was advantage to Australia from the knock-on, but Scotland quickly got the ball back in open play, ergo you have to call the advantage back.

With Joubert's previous in RWC knock-out games, i.e. deciding who's going to win in his own head and awarding/not awarding penalties to make that happen [viz. the RWC11 final], I have to say that I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for him. If it was the first time he had done it, I'd have a lot more. He's a decent-isn test ref in general – although his handling of the France vs Italy game was appalling – and seems like a nice chap. But he has f*cked over a team in two huge RWC knock-out games, seemingly because he unconsciously doesn't think that they should win.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:
With Joubert's previous in RWC knock-out games, i.e. deciding who's going to win in his own head and awarding/not awarding penalties to make that happen
I was trying to be diplomatic when I said I wasn't a fan but yeah that's basically what I meant :lol:

His performance in the World Cup final came up somewhere recently so I watched the highlights, it's a genuine disgrace, hard to believe he still gets big games after that.

He screwed us over in Twickenham last year too. England clearly illegally stopped a maul that was looking like it might win us the game, couldn't have been more obvious.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

know he's gone home but Wales have confirmed Gareth Anscombe aggravated his ankle injury, only worse this time, and is out for a couple of months

Blues and Dragons missing a fair few players now until new year at least
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Would have been nice to play this week's Argentina team last week. And then last week's Australia team this week. :)
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Scotland would have won this game.

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

johng wrote:Would have been nice to play this week's Argentina team last week. And then last week's Australia team this week. :)

.... and play yesterday's New Zealand team in the final. Or any time really.

It has kind of petered out hasn't it?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

#sendembackdownsouthforthefinalnooneheregivesaflyingfuckaboutitanymore
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Petered, philliped and possibly Patricked too. Or is it just coz our interest has wayned, Williamed or Waltered.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

This is a bit like an old heavyweight fight: will someone be left standing at the end?
And then Drew Mitchell knocks out with a rapier!