Who,will replace Paul O'Connell as captain of the Irish side

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Who,will replace Paul O'Connell as captain of the Irish

Post by Golf Man »

When there are no obvious younger candiudiates (ie taking you through to the 2019 WC) its almost certain we will have an interim captain. Quite possibly along eth lines of what England have done where Robshaw was named as captain for Ais first, then named for 6 - it was only last year he was named as captain for the WC. In reality the 2017 - 2018 season is when you ideally have the captain in place for the 2019 WC - if its in advance of that, fine, but obviously the candidate needs to be right

Sexton and pOM are the only ones who fit the bill for that and I wouldn't go with either of them initially - although POM may well be captain in 2019

Someone suggested that Ruddock would take the captains role at Leinster => is he that guaranteed to start? Does anyone see Murphy as a starter - seems hard that Murphy would get ahead of Ruddock for the WC but very likely to do so
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Golf Man wrote:When there are no obvious younger candiudiates (ie taking you through to the 2019 WC) its almost certain we will have an interim captain. Quite possibly along eth lines of what England have done where Robshaw was named as captain for Ais first, then named for 6 - it was only last year he was named as captain for the WC. In reality the 2017 - 2018 season is when you ideally have the captain in place for the 2019 WC - if its in advance of that, fine, but obviously the candidate needs to be right

Sexton and pOM are the only ones who fit the bill for that and I wouldn't go with either of them initially - although POM may well be captain in 2019

Someone suggested that Ruddock would take the captains role at Leinster => is he that guaranteed to start? Does anyone see Murphy as a starter - seems hard that Murphy would get ahead of Ruddock for the WC but very likely to do so
Ruddock is guaranteed to start, was first choice 6 before he got injured and is markedly better than Murphy
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Personally I think he's much better than Murphy. As much as I like Jordi, I can't help but feel he's made for the number 20 jersey and like my 6s to be wrecking balls where possible. Ruddock's injury really did come at an awful time, he's top quality.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Its hard to see where Schmidt views the Ruddock/Murphy debate. He obviously has huge time for Ruddock and throwing him it at 7 v SA was really backing him. Murphy has played well at 8 though where there is a shortage. He has taken his chances this year but has really benefitted from injuries to others - Ruddock & Henry obviously but also Heaslip

If Schmidt sees Ruddock as viable option at 8 (and we don't know if he does or not - if he had been fit would he have got the call to replace Heaslip during the 6N). In theory Ruddock at 7 should have been more concern than Murphy at 8 and it worked out fine

Personally I would take Ruddock (with Henry/POM/SOB/Heaslip)
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

offshorerules wrote:But is he guaranteed his place? With Henry back I'm not sure he is.
A recently signed 3 year central contract suggests that POM is very central to Schmidt's plans for the next few years anyway. Henry is on an Ulster contract.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

I wouldn't read anything into contract status (thought all contract were with IRFU now?) but I don't see POM's place under threat at the minute. Henry was very good in 2014 but hasn't played for Ireland in a year. SOB has played pretty much exclusively as a 7 in recent years and it would be very unlike Schmidt to move SOB to fit Henry into the team. I don't think Henry is that good - there are very few who are (SOB being one of them)

I do think Henry will go - its probably been a little bit over assumed that he will make the squad - Schmidt could decide to bring Murphy and Ruddock. Its a good position to be in (we essentially have 8 backrow options who have all produced when required at the highest levels) - shame that two will miss out
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

munster#1 wrote:Given the likely turnover in personel in the next couple of years, it is hard to select a captain.

Given the age profile of our top players, it seems unlikely that we will have best, Heaslip, bowe and Ross being nailed on starters in 2017. I would look outside those 4.

Captaincy is a difficult thing for any players, Imo captains are born captains, they are the player you look to to for guidance when the sh1t hits the fan, the player that you look at and wish you were as good as.

Given sextons, and most outhalf personality flaws, I don't think it should be him, henshaw is probably best off concentrating on his own game for the next couple of years years, as is my personal favourite for captaincy Henderson.

I do not envy schmidts position, but Imo he is the right man to decide.
Imo he will pick pom, he is a born captain, who leads from the front, and as above, given the likely player turnover, he is best place to lead the next group of players.

erson
pom would not be the worst choice but as pointed out by a few here he is not a guaranteed starter for the next WC. If you look at positions 1 - 15 you have guys like Sexton, Murray and Heaslip who are guaranteed to start when fit but pom is in a position where there are alternatives and if everyone was fit there could be a point where he does not make the match day squad. I think that the increased competition across the board makes this decision more difficult. In the old days there were more nailed on selections to choose from. I would be in favor of a squad captain with a group of vice captains who could step up when needed.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

At this stage of this rather pointless debate I declare Jamie Heaslip the unequivocal and unchallenged next captain of Ireland for as long as the coach says it's so (Thus it has always been).
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Seconded with an amendment to allow the position to be reviewed in advance of 2016 AIs
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I would be satisfied if there was some consideration of Conor Murray as Captain post RWC15. He is one of possibly 5 guaranteed selections in the team at present; he is the right age to get a run at it; responsibility comes with his role automatically and he is growing into the role of public communicator.

Whilst Jamie has done the job of captain both in Leinster and Ireland, there are signs that he needs to mind himself a bit more carefully as the years progress. Although the physical aspect is the most notable, the mental / psychological element of always being "on-duty" as Ireland captain also takes a huge strain, particularly for someone who is more lightly to have views which are off main-stream.

12 months ago, PO'M looked a shoo-in for this role. However, the presence of SO'B, Henderson, Henry etc. has made the back-row crowded territory and JS and his management team may prefer that the Captain is an 80-minute man for every big game at least.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:I would be satisfied if there was some consideration of Conor Murray as Captain post RWC15. He is one of possibly 5 guaranteed selections in the team at present; he is the right age to get a run at it; responsibility comes with his role automatically and he is growing into the role of public communicator.

Whilst Jamie has done the job of captain both in Leinster and Ireland, there are signs that he needs to mind himself a bit more carefully as the years progress. Although the physical aspect is the most notable, the mental / psychological element of always being "on-duty" as Ireland captain also takes a huge strain, particularly for someone who is more lightly to have views which are off main-stream.

12 months ago, PO'M looked a shoo-in for this role. However, the presence of SO'B, Henderson, Henry etc. has made the back-row crowded territory and JS and his management team may prefer that the Captain is an 80-minute man for every big game at least.
Would think that he could do a good job and is in the ideal position.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Fireworks wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:I would be satisfied if there was some consideration of Conor Murray as Captain post RWC15. He is one of possibly 5 guaranteed selections in the team at present; he is the right age to get a run at it; responsibility comes with his role automatically and he is growing into the role of public communicator.

Would think that he could do a good job and is in the ideal position.
Having met conor a fair few times, I would not say he is captain material, his attitude is nowhere near what it needs to be to be a captain.

The only thing that he has going for him with regards to captaincy is that he is a nailed on starter. After that I see little other reason
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

munster#1 wrote:his attitude is nowhere near what it needs to be to be a captain.
Can someone (not necessarily Munster#1 as I've heard this from a few guys) tell me what this attitude should be?

BOD was young when he got the captaincy and he changed a lot over the decade or so that he was captain so his attitude surely changed over this time also and he grew in to the role.
POC is a very different personality to BOD but I suppose he got the captaincy later in his career.

Other than the media responsibilities, which I think Murray could be good at or at least grow in to, I don't see much of a problem with him as a captain. Isn't the culture that they would have a number of leaders on the pitch anyway.
The only concern I'd have is that he has a lot of decision making responsibility on the pitch so adding the captaincy may be a burden that will effect his on pitch decision making... but then again, it could be the making of him.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

The more I think about it, the more I feel Sexton would make a great captain.

He's been known to dish out bollockings in training if people aren't up to scratch, was widely praised for how he spoke at half time in the 2011 final, he's a warrior and leads from the front putting his body in to big hits, would be respected by opposition and referees, is an 80 minute player and a nailed on starter up to the next world cup.

Some may say that captaincy would be a burden on someone already in a role with a lot of decision making but I think he's looked so comfortable in the position in the last few years that he could take on the extra responsibility. Also, the role would give him the ability to be a bossy prat with impunity.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Don't think a kicker should be the captain
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

trying to pick an 80 minute player is a major part of the problem too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Peg Leg wrote:Don't think a kicker should be the captain
That's a pretty arbitrary reason to rule him out especially considering the amount he's got going for him.

Would you not expand a bit on that?

Toulon did alright with Wilkinson as captain.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

ChrisUppy wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Don't think a kicker should be the captain
That's a pretty arbitrary reason to rule him out especially considering the amount he's got going for him.

Would you not expand a bit on that?

Toulon did alright with Wilkinson as captain.
Yeah but Johnie could, and probably still can, speak French.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Here is one I started earlier.

Candidates
age at next RWC Experience Place in team
  • Jamie Heaslip 35 Has captained Ireland 12 times and is captain of Leinster Set in stone
    Peter O'Mahony 30 Captain of Munster Should be set in stone
    Rory Best 37 Captain of Uster and has captained Ireland Set in stone
    Rhys Ruddock 28 Sometimes captains Leinster Not first choice
    Connor Murray 30 Very little Set in stone
    Johnny Sexton 34 Very little Set in stone
A few obvious choices.
Depends on whether Joe decides he wants a captain for RWC 2019 or not. If that was the case that would most likely rule on Heaslip and Best purely on the grounds of their age.

Of the younger brigade only POM is a regular captain and has probably copperfastened his name in the team with an excellent RWC. An important decision for Joe to make.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

No decision to be made as yet. Being decision-maker, a la Sexton, doesn't always make for captaincy material - read about cricketer Kevin Peterson. Emotional intelligence quotient is a key prerequisite for the ideal captain. If he can get his body fixed, PO'M is a real candidate, but ideally your captain should be able to play 80 mins every game.