Who,will replace Paul O'Connell as captain of the Irish side

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

All Blacks nil
Mullet

Who,will replace Paul O'Connell as captain of the Irish side

Post by All Blacks nil »

With Paulie's imminent international retirement, who do people think will be the next appointed captain of the Irish rugby team?
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Re: Who,will replace Paul O'Connell as captain of the Irish

Post by ChrisUppy »

Probably Rory Best or Heaslip
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I have a preference for the number on the captains back to be between 4 and 10. There are exceptions like BOD and Woods and maybe Best. The reasoning is that these numbers are closest to the action and the ref for most of the game while front rows get a no because in modern rugby they are often subbed and I would like the captain to be on the park for the 80 if possible.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

ChrisUppy wrote:Probably Rory Best or Heaslip
They might both be too old by that point. Both are into their 30s already and aren't long term options as they would be doing very well to make it to the next World Cup as first choice (or at all).

If he could ever stay fit, Sean O'Brien.

Wouldn't rule out POM either.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The, "would you like me to move this penalty against you, forward by ten?", " yes" POM?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Toner it is so.... by a process of elimination :)
Dont Panic!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

I don't think you can plan on a captain for the next World Cup its too far away. Its someone to lead for a year or two to manage the post BOD/POC era - first time in 15 years that we won't have one of them in the team. It may be just a situation of announcing a captain for the 2016 6N and then for the summer tour etc and weigh it up.

To my mind there are 6 viable candidates, and some of those are stretching it a bit
Heaslip, Best, POM are definite candidiates (and probably in that order for the scenario I've outlined above)
Sexton is (and will probably expect to go to 2019)
SOB and Murray are but more from the fact that they are right age, will be in the team, rather than anything else - wouldn't have either of them anywhere near it imo
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:The, "would you like me to move this penalty against you, forward by ten?", " yes" POM?
Unless there were two incidents wasn't that Leamy??
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Vamos los azules wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:Probably Rory Best or Heaslip
They might both be too old by that point. Both are into their 30s already and aren't long term options as they would be doing very well to make it to the next World Cup as first choice (or at all).

If he could ever stay fit, Sean O'Brien.

Wouldn't rule out POM either.
I've very similar thoughts about it. No offence to Jamie but I just don't see him as full time Ireland captain regardless of his age. Great player and would do a decent job but there's something about him that just doesn't fit for me. The fact that he had it before and lost it speaks volumes for me. Joe obviously rated him as a captain for Leinster so that's in his favour and the circumstances around his appointment were odd but I still think that if you're the type of person to suit the role then you make it yours regardless of the situation. There are more leaders in the team now, it's a better side, and they've won loads, so maybe it would be different but I just don't see it.

Himself and Best probably are the strongest candidates though. Not convinced about Best either. Right now he's being replaced by Cronin in the last quarter of every game and I think he might be overtaken quite quickly after the WC. His darts can be ropey too and I don't think you want your captain under that kind of pressure if that part of his game falls apart. I could see himself and Jamie sharing it actually, but that wouldn't be my choice.

POM has been excellent and could well get it but personally I think there's too much competition for his place. I like the recent trend of the Ireland captain not captaining his province too.

Murray is one of the few players guaranteed to play and manages things well but think he has enough on his plate and it would look odd to see your captain being berated by the ten. Sexton wouldn't really suit it IMO, has enough on his plate too and is too volatile.

Surprised Kearney hasn't been mentioned yet. A real leader in the side, always steps up when needed, and a captain at underage level. Would agree that a fullback is too far from the action but think he has a very good chance of getting it.

My own choice would be SOB though. His injury record is the only downside really. I like the idea of other teams looking across and seeing someone they fear leading us out. He's a real leader, showed extraordinary determination to get himself fit after his last injury and to get through 70 mins against France in the 6N. I know Wayne Barnes had an issue with his chat but I think he speaks really well to refs and that would be more valuable as a captain, plus he'd probably get away with more. Gets through a ridiculous amount of work yet can always step it up if we're behind and need something special, on either attack or defence.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Heaslip is the vice captain and a player with no rivals for his spot. If he's good enough for VC now then he's good for enough to captain in PO€'s absence.

Can see the arguments for changing it up completely but I don't think Schmidt will until the end of the 2016 season.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
I've very similar thoughts about it. No offence to Jamie but I just don't see him as full time Ireland captain regardless of his age. Great player and would do a decent job but there's something about him that just doesn't fit for me. The fact that he had it before and lost it speaks volumes for me. Joe obviously rated him as a captain for Leinster so that's in his favour and the circumstances around his appointment were odd but I still think that if you're the type of person to suit the role then you make it yours regardless of the situation. There are more leaders in the team now, it's a better side, and they've won loads, so maybe it would be different but I just don't see it.

Himself and Best probably are the strongest candidates though. Not convinced about Best either. Right now he's being replaced by Cronin in the last quarter of every game and I think he might be overtaken quite quickly after the WC. His darts can be ropey too and I don't think you want your captain under that kind of pressure if that part of his game falls apart. I could see himself and Jamie sharing it actually, but that wouldn't be my choice.

POM has been excellent and could well get it but personally I think there's too much competition for his place. I like the recent trend of the Ireland captain not captaining his province too.

Murray is one of the few players guaranteed to play and manages things well but think he has enough on his plate and it would look odd to see your captain being berated by the ten. Sexton wouldn't really suit it IMO, has enough on his plate too and is too volatile.

Surprised Kearney hasn't been mentioned yet. A real leader in the side, always steps up when needed, and a captain at underage level. Would agree that a fullback is too far from the action but think he has a very good chance of getting it.

My own choice would be SOB though. His injury record is the only downside really. I like the idea of other teams looking across and seeing someone they fear leading us out. He's a real leader, showed extraordinary determination to get himself fit after his last injury and to get through 70 mins against France in the 6N. I know Wayne Barnes had an issue with his chat but I think he speaks really well to refs and that would be more valuable as a captain, plus he'd probably get away with more. Gets through a ridiculous amount of work yet can always step it up if we're behind and need something special, on either attack or defence.
I agree on Heaslip - strikes me that he gets the role because he is guaranteed starter, part of the senior group, but don't really see him as the full time captain. Agree on best as well => probably a better captain that Heaslip but will be under more pressure for his place. Ruddock will possibly challenge POM (assuming Henderson is moved to lock full time), but POM has huge credit in the bank the last couple of years

I'd put SOB into the same bracket as Murray and Sexton - no real experience of it and their roles are so important anyway - prefer to let them get on with it than have added in game responsibility of being captain. Kearney - no way - perhaps a leader at this point in time (especially with Darcy/BOD gone) but not an option at all for me. I think, unless there is an exceptional alternative (BOD) that the captain should be a forward. I'd have no problem with SOB but don't think he'll get it
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

I wouldn't worry about Heaslip or Best being too old - iirc didn't POC only take over captency a year or 2 ago? What age was he then?

I wouldn't consider POM (good leader but he'll be fighting for his place in the team soon) or Kearney (a good leader maybe but I'd prefer the captain to be at the coal face).

Maybe SOB as some suggested but the only other outside contender for me would be Sexton
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

It'll be Heaslip.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Peg Leg wrote:The, "would you like me to move this penalty against you, forward by ten?", " yes" POM?
Yea but the way he sings the anthem is inspiring.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Avenger wrote:It'll be Heaslip.
Agreed.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:
Avenger wrote:It'll be Heaslip.
Agreed.
Ditto (Ruddock to get Leinster captain's job as Heaslip cant do both)

Although POM has cut out a bit of the handbags, if he can work on that, more captaincy experience with Munster he could well be captain at next RWC, think we will have a captain for a year or two then a RWC captain
While the threat is real I get the feeling POM isnt that much under threat from Ruddock (who is amazing) unless he gets a serious injury

What could be a factor is who, injury permitting does Joe see as number 20? If its Henry then POM & Heaslip more secure (for 80 minutes), Ruddock then POM less secure, Stander then Heaslip less secure
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Imho it's between Best and Heaslip with POM and Sexton having an outside chance.

In an ideal world it would be somebody that will take the team to the next RWC. Now, Sexton is most likely to do that but he has little captaincy experience and he already has a huge amount of responsibility on his shoulders. Might be worth a look in a year or two depending on the leadership role he plays at Leinster.

POM may still be a first choice player in four years but he has a lot of competition for his place and, while he is captain of Munster, he's been doing it with POC looking over his shoulder. Probably needs a season or two to prove that he really has locked down his place and that he can lead his province successfully without Paulie.

That leaves Heaslip and Best to do the job for the next couple of years while we wait to see which successor emerges. For me, Best is the better of the two options. Heaslip's never really convinced me as a captain when the chips are down. Best has a little more fire in his belly, without being a hot head, and he's universally respected.
We're all red on the inside.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

I think both Best & Heaslip make poor captains. They just don't look comfortable in that role and Best darts tend to fall to pieces. Both are much better lieutenants. POC is really going to be missed for his leadership. Schmidt is pretty lucky that he has been mostly fit for his tenure so far. I'd say its probably between POM & Ruddock as I can't recall SOB even captaining a team for Leinster.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Given the likely turnover in personel in the next couple of years, it is hard to select a captain.

Given the age profile of our top players, it seems unlikely that we will have best, Heaslip, bowe and Ross being nailed on starters in 2017. I would look outside those 4.

Captaincy is a difficult thing for any players, Imo captains are born captains, they are the player you look to to for guidance when the sh1t hits the fan, the player that you look at and wish you were as good as.

Given sextons, and most outhalf personality flaws, I don't think it should be him, henshaw is probably best off concentrating on his own game for the next couple of years years, as is my personal favourite for captaincy Henderson.

I do not envy schmidts position, but Imo he is the right man to decide.
Imo he will pick pom, he is a born captain, who leads from the front, and as above, given the likely player turnover, he is best place to lead the next group of players.

erson
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

But is he guaranteed his place? With Henry back I'm not sure he is.