Third times a charm - hopefully. Schmidt extends contract

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Third times a charm - hopefully. Schmidt extends contract

Post by Dave Cahill »

The IRFU today announced that Joe Schmidt has signed a contract extension to remain as Ireland Head Coach until June 30, 2017.

Since taking on the role of head coach Joe and his coaching team have won back-to-back RBS 6 Nations Championship titles and a first Test Series win in the Southern Hemisphere.

Ireland were unbeaten during the 2014 Guinness Series which included victories over South Africa and Australia.

Since Schmidt was appointed in 2013, 56 players, including 14 new caps, have represented Ireland.

The team has achieved a 78% win ratio with 14 wins and 4 losses from the 18 Test matches played to date.

Ireland were ranked 8th in the World Rugby in October 2013 and are currently ranked 3rd.

Announcing the extension of Joe Schmidt's contract, IRFU Performance Director, David Nucifora said, "We believe that Joe is one of the leading coaches in world rugby so we are delighted that he has extended his contract and will continue to work in Irish Rugby until the end of the 2016/17 season.

Outside of his national team duties, Joe has contributed to the development of indigenous coaches across the provincial and underage structures as well as having a positive input into the Ireland U20s and Women's squads. "

IRFU Chief Executive Philip Browne, said: "Joe embodies the core values of the IRFU in what he does and his commitment to the national team is mirrored by his support of Rugby clubs and schools.

He is a tremendous ambassador for our game and will continue to be a vital asset to Irish Rugby over the coming years."

Ireland Head Coach Joe Schmidt, commented, "I appreciate the support I have had from the IRFU and look forward to the next two challenging years with the National Team.

It has been great to be involved in such a player driven environment, along with such a skilled and positive staff to support them in their quest to be as competitive as possible."
I have Bumbleflex
elfan
Knowledgeable

Re: Third times a charm - hopefully. Schmidt extends contra

Post by elfan »

Brendan Fanning in the Indo!!

The New Zealander, who takes his team into the World Cup warm up series on August 8th, against Wales in Cardiff, will continue as head coach until the 2017 World Cup for which Ireland is one of the nations bidding to host the tournament.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 96428.html
elfan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

elfan wrote:Brendan Fanning in the Indo!!

The New Zealander, who takes his team into the World Cup warm up series on August 8th, against Wales in Cardiff, will continue as head coach until the 2017 World Cup for which Ireland is one of the nations bidding to host the tournament.

Originally they had the story saying the extension was up to the 2023 world cup, so they obviously half arsed an edit and made an accurate story with some incorrect details into a work of complete fantasy!
I have Bumbleflex
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

So does this effectively take him out of the running for the Lions tour in 2017?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

nc6000 wrote:So does this effectively take him out of the running for the Lions tour in 2017?
Completely the opposite - unless he does an Eddie this all but confirms that he'll be getting the job
I have Bumbleflex
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
nc6000 wrote:So does this effectively take him out of the running for the Lions tour in 2017?
Completely the opposite - unless he does an Eddie this all but confirms that he'll be getting the job
But didn't Gatland step down from the Wales post for the period leading up to the 2013 tour and missed the 2013 SIx Nations? Unless Joe will get the Lions job but will still coach Ireland in the 2017 Six Nations.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

nc6000 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
But didn't Gatland step down from the Wales post for the period leading up to the 2013 tour and missed the 2013 SIx Nations? Unless Joe will get the Lions job but will still coach Ireland in the 2017 Six Nations.
I'd expect Joe to step down also, its too big a tour to not do so.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I never thought I'd be so disappointed that Joe signed an extension. If he gets the Lions job and takes a break then the contract is almost irrelevant, and I don't see why it wouldn't go up to the next World Cup if he was planning to stay until then.

I'd hoped that he wasn't in the running for the NZ job (because of Foster possibly taking over and Joseph/Rennie joining him) but now I think he's either in the running for it or has his eyes on a Super Rugby job in 2018 with a view to getting the NZ job soon after.

I realise how pessimistic that is but the age profile of the squad and the talent coming through are hugely promising and I'd love to see him take us through that World Cup cycle.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I never thought I'd be so disappointed that Joe signed an extension. If he gets the Lions job and takes a break then the contract is almost irrelevant, and I don't see why it wouldn't go up to the next World Cup if he was planning to stay until then.

I'd hoped that he wasn't in the running for the NZ job (because of Foster possibly taking over and Joseph/Rennie joining him) but now I think he's either in the running for it or has his eyes on a Super Rugby job in 2018 with a view to getting the NZ job soon after.

I realise how pessimistic that is but the age profile of the squad and the talent coming through are hugely promising and I'd love to see him take us through that World Cup cycle.
Hansens contract is up in 2017 too I believe, so I see Joe looking to get the NZ then on back of either an Irish World Cup win, or a successful Lions tour. He'll need to do one of them though as 6 nations success, no matter how much of it he has, won't really do it - and that means he'll have to work in Super Rugby for a while if he wants the All Black Job
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

IMO he wouldnt sign a one year extension and then take Lions job where he'd have to step down for at least the 6n that season

Gatty is definitely taking Lions head coach job but as they havent a chance in hell of beating NZ in that series its a bit of a poison chalice re All Blacks job

I reckon it may be more to do with any coaching merry go round in NZ if Hansen leaves after that series
Last edited by simonokeeffe on July 22nd, 2015, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Tbh to me it reads like a safety net in case he doesn't get the Lions job.

I just hope that David Nucifora knows what Joe is thinking so that we can plan accordingly. I'd imagine Easterby is in pole position to take over, Les Kiss' successor will be even more interesting now.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote: Gatty is definitely taking Lions head coach job
Gatland has burnt his bridges with both the IRFU and the RFU, hes not getting the job again.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Gatland has burnt his bridges with both the IRFU and the RFU, hes not getting the job again.
his relationship with IRFU didnt matter last time, whats the RFU kerfuffle you refer to?

If Wales get knocked out in RWC pool stages and Lions lose 3-0 Gatty would be nowhere near any NZ jobs, even midweek games on that tour Blues, Highlanders, Chiefs, Hurricanes are tough prospects, could be one of the worst win ratios of any Lions tour but that also leads to doubts over whether Joe would want Lions job, also he'd have so little coaching time with the team, maybe hes so pragmatic he knows its not worth it
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
his relationship with IRFU didnt matter last time, whats the RFU kerfuffle you refer to?
He made a number of comments to a variety of Welsh media after the tour about how he had made certain appointments to get his hands on and an insight into tactical and technical preparations World Cup group rivals England were making. To say the RFU were less than impressed would be quite the understatement.
I have Bumbleflex
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Delighted to hear Joe is staying with us. Fantastic news! If he has a decent world cup he'll surely get the Lions job.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cheers DC, maybe his goose is cooked there so

Even doing up a hypothetical Lions squad theres a bad age & injury profile in a few key positions, my imaginary squad is looking ropey at hooker, tighthead, blindside and both wings and no captaincy candidate other than Warburton

would need Northern hemisphere refs in 2 tests for them to have a hope
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

simonokeeffe wrote:

If Wales get knocked out in RWC pool stages and Lions lose 3-0 Gatty would be nowhere near any NZ jobs, even midweek games on that tour Blues, Highlanders, Chiefs, Hurricanes are tough prospects, could be one of the worst win ratios of any Lions tour but that also leads to doubts over whether Joe would want Lions job, also he'd have so little coaching time with the team, maybe hes so pragmatic he knows its not worth it
Big risk but a big payoff for Joe. Everyone knows this is the uphill battle of all battles.

No-one is mentioning Lancaster in this - no laughing at the back now! Beloved of the RFU and patriots everywhere (ok so he miffed quite a lot of people making a grab for the VC, but water under the bridge), if he does well in the WC he could be in the driving seat.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

domhnallj wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Big risk but a big payoff for Joe. Everyone knows this is the uphill battle of all battles.

No-one is mentioning Lancaster in this - no laughing at the back now! Beloved of the RFU and patriots everywhere (ok so he miffed quite a lot of people making a grab for the VC, but water under the bridge), if he does well in the WC he could be in the driving seat.
an uphill battle with one hand tied behind his back, dont think the honourable defeat would bump him ahead of Foster or Rennie

you could well be right on Lancaster and I'd be happy out with him
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

How does anyone still rate Lancaster? Four years and nothing to show for it, no aptitude for selecting a backroom staff, no consistent vision. Whatever about Gatty, he has consistency of vision and selection and can pick a backroom staff and keep a tight camp, vital for the Lions.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Lancaster gets Lions then we keep Schmidt as head coach for that season :)