Gordon D'Arcy

Re: World cup warmups

Post by johng »

It looks much worse in HD :)
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Lawes definitely deserves 4 week ban for a cynical elbow to Hendhaw's face after the ball was gone. What is is about these Northampton forwards (Hartley & Clark too) that makes them such thugs.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Donny B. wrote:http://www.balls.ie/rugby/gif-robbie-he ... ass/307650

Elbow to the face of Henshaw from the lowlife meathead that is Courtney Lawes
I think Zebo completely overran the ball there, making the pass almost impossible once closed down, but Henshaw in turn delayed too much. Three backs on a couple of forwards with opposition back tracking, was pretty much butchered.

I've read a lot of opinions online the last while, Zebo seems such a marmite character, Munster adore him, elsewhere maybe not so much... personally I like his flair, his attacking intent, but the guy is appalling at international level. In Europe and for Munster very good, but completely found out (as usual) at international level, he's not at the races what so ever. Completely caught in no mans land for the first try (a full back shooting up and being caught behind the opposition attacking line on a line break...unforgivable) ... was out of position for a cross kick... to be fair a superbly executed one, but caught out none the less ... missed ridiculous flapping tackle attempts on a couple of non punished line breaks, was caught in no mans land again for England's disallowed try...

He's the type of player who gets away with it at club level, but complete liability at international level. Astonishingly worsened by Bowe on this occasion.

Dave Kearney probably had his best defensive display for Ireland to date, and he is always decent going forward, but his lack of attacking flair is always an issue in my book.

I think Sexton has been very poor in the warm ups, not exerting nearly as much influence or control as could be expected, pulls the gaffney loop every now and then that seems incapable of failing, but really struggling to influence proceedings to the extent that Murray would at this point.

McGrath can claim the #1 jersey on merit, I don't think Healy has any right to walk back into it, he needs to win it back. Toner is a great link man, a great set-piece target, but all in all Henderson needs to start ahead of him, he just doesn't have the intensity or power. Great player, but not our best option to partner POC.

I think White and Furlong were a poor choice of combination to bring in the front row. I think the absence of Trimble is criminal. Hindsight being 20/20, I may not have been as concerned before the England game, but now I think he's desperately needed. With Bowe playing that bad, Zebo not at this level (in my opinion), Earls and Fitz I also think are a level below international standard at this point, Dave Kearney being 100% solid, not so much dangerous... I think we over rate our back three options massively...

I also don't think we have a centre partnership at all. Henshaw should be 13 and we should be focusing on developing a 12. McCloskey, Cave, Marshal, Olding, Madigan, Reid, McFadden, Fitzgerald..I'm not a big fan of our centre partnership...

Probably a reality check... I know these games mean nothing and cards are very close to the chest, but just on the natural ability, skills, power and athleticism of players, that was a far superior English side and we struggled with the Welsh too, both on the exact same factors, they had insane line speed and they committed to competing at ruck time. That took away all of our speed and momentum, and left us pretty limp and tame as a result...

These games don't mean a whole lot, but from what you can take away from the most basic aspects of battle, where it's all about second nature and merely a skill and athletic battle rather than a tactical one, you've have to say those two pack performances are a little bit concerning in the extent of undercookedness.. although there's a lot of time... and we're assuming the lack of imagination in the backs is a cautious non-exposing game plan.... let's hope that we're right.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lighten up fans, that was a game for the box-office, not the players. Few Irish guys really wanted to be tbere, with one arm tied behind tbeir back against an English team facing a home World Cup with their crowd agailnst them,

Our scrum was sound, Our maul will improve. Every player, who is 30 ot older will improve by 20% and the young guys will now recognise that expectation is a tangible pressure in a World Cup, From being 2nd ranked in thr world to being underdogs in our Pool, in 2 weeks,is not to be under-estimated, Joe may be furious, but not unhappy at that outcome.

Watch this space, so long as Murray is o.k.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hes not going to be cited and Henshaw butchered releasing Zebo

I woke up cycnical today
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

COYBIB wrote:

I think Zebo completely overran the ball there, making the pass almost impossible once closed down, but Henshaw in turn delayed too much. Three backs on a couple of forwards with opposition back tracking, was pretty much butchered.

I've read a lot of opinions online the last while, Zebo seems such a marmite character, Munster adore him, elsewhere maybe not so much... personally I like his flair, his attacking intent, but the guy is appalling at international level. In Europe and for Munster very good, but completely found out (as usual) at international level, he's not at the races what so ever. Completely caught in no mans land for the first try (a full back shooting up and being caught behind the opposition attacking line on a line break...unforgivable) ... was out of position for a cross kick... to be fair a superbly executed one, but caught out none the less ... missed ridiculous flapping tackle attempts on a couple of non punished line breaks, was caught in no mans land again for England's disallowed try...

He's the type of player who gets away with it at club level, but complete liability at international level. Astonishingly worsened by Bowe on this occasion.
A typically ill informed and incorrect Zebo opinion

1. Henshaw and Henshaw alone to blame for the breakaway

2.Zebo isn't "adored" by Munster fans - we have another winger who people adore and would pick before Zebo everytime

3. "Appalling and a complete liability at international level" - some evidence would be nice. Prior to these warm ups Zebo had started 9 of the last 10 Ireland games, including 4 6N, 2 away v Arg and 2 home v SA and Aus. Not sure Schmidt would keep picking him if he was as bad as you make out

4. You acknowledge his attacking intent and flair, which is nice. I don't think anybody could deny that he is a good finisher, or that he has a good boot. I also don't think anyone could deny that e is good in the air (despite Watsons try - ref England in particular I the 6N). I don't think anybody could reasonably claim there is a problem with his tacking (he isn't a monster in this regard but doesn't fall off tackles very much). I also don't think anybody could deny that there is a problem with his defensive positioning and alignment - this has been by far his biggest weakness since he came on the scene - I would say that I think it has improved hugely (a good trun at international level will do that) but it is still an issue - all of this doesn't add up to he player you claim he is

5. Zebo was playing 15, a position I would say he has played maybe 10 times, in a game where we were under all sorts of pressure and had a lot of scrambling defence. He is our second choice 15 for the WC - nobody is suggesting that he should start there - as a backup 15 - he is absolutely fine
fungalboy
Graduate

Post by fungalboy »

Donny B. wrote:
johng wrote:We finished the game with 3 th props and chris henry as the slowest centre since.......

Nathan White was packing down at 6.
Henry was actually on the wing
Anthony Horgan?
"They play a running game, we play a running game..." Sky Sports Two 23/1/06
"There is only one Girve the Swerve..." Sky Sports Two 31/3/06
"What disappointment? We did everything we could do tonight..." Newstalk 106 26/5/06
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

COYBIB wrote:

Dave Kearney probably had his best defensive display for Ireland to date, and he is always decent going forward, but his lack of attacking flair is always an issue in my book.

I think Sexton has been very poor in the warm ups, not exerting nearly as much influence or control as could be expected, pulls the gaffney loop every now and then that seems incapable of failing, but really struggling to influence proceedings to the extent that Murray would at this point.

McGrath can claim the #1 jersey on merit, I don't think Healy has any right to walk back into it, he needs to win it back. Toner is a great link man, a great set-piece target, but all in all Henderson needs to start ahead of him, he just doesn't have the intensity or power. Great player, but not our best option to partner POC.

I think White and Furlong were a poor choice of combination to bring in the front row. I think the absence of Trimble is criminal. Hindsight being 20/20, I may not have been as concerned before the England game, but now I think he's desperately needed. With Bowe playing that bad, Zebo not at this level (in my opinion), Earls and Fitz I also think are a level below international standard at this point, Dave Kearney being 100% solid, not so much dangerous... I think we over rate our back three options massively...

I also don't think we have a centre partnership at all. Henshaw should be 13 and we should be focusing on developing a 12. McCloskey, Cave, Marshal, Olding, Madigan, Reid, McFadden, Fitzgerald..I'm not a big fan of our centre partnership...

Probably a reality check... I know these games mean nothing and cards are very close to the chest, but just on the natural ability, skills, power and athleticism of players, that was a far superior English side and we struggled with the Welsh too, both on the exact same factors, they had insane line speed and they committed to competing at ruck time. That took away all of our speed and momentum, and left us pretty limp and tame as a result...

These games don't mean a whole lot, but from what you can take away from the most basic aspects of battle, where it's all about second nature and merely a skill and athletic battle rather than a tactical one, you've have to say those two pack performances are a little bit concerning in the extent of undercookedness.. although there's a lot of time... and we're assuming the lack of imagination in the backs is a cautious non-exposing game plan.... let's hope that we're right.
Zebo isn't as bad as you say, but I do understand your overall point and agree with a lot of it. Basically, this team isn't winning with linebreaks as it's currently selected and played. Neither scrumhalf is a big breaking threat, the midfield has really failed to open up opposition midfields and the threequarters are looking a bit pedestrian going forward. Plus, SOB doesn't look half the player he was before his injuries, ball in hand.

Earls at wing as a bare minimum would help. Payne given more freedom to express himself from 13 would help. Cronin and Henderson in the pack would help. But making all those changes weakens our real advantage in this team of low-error, defensive, territorial percentage rugby. If we're going to make a splash, it'll probably have to be with a less-than-exciting gameplan. Bar Earls, we don't have the players in the right form at the right positions to open teams up. That's just the way it seems to be. I don't think there's any mad-cap revolutionary gameplan down Joe Schmidt's immaculately pressed y-fronts that will be sprung on unwitting opponents.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

matt wrote:Lawes definitely deserves 4 week ban for
Save that bit - you will get to use it again
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I'm not too worries with the exception of one or two off form players. In any rugby match, the hungrier team will nearly always win. England were just far hungrier than Ireland and won comfortably. It was way more important for them than Ireland. They're playing an in form Fiji next while Ireland have 2 comfortable games before they face Italy.

Tommy Bowe was a liability in what must have been his worst game for Ireland. He needs a big performance in the next game.