When was the last time ( if ever) that Ireland......

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: When was the last time ( if ever) that Ireland......

Post by munster#1 »

simonokeeffe wrote:I would rather Ireland beat France with Jared Payne in the side than lose because we had Keith Earls marking Mathieu Bastareaud who is 75lbs heavier than him in a French side that had Spedding, Nakaitaci, Kockot, Le Roux, Antonio, plus 4 or 5 guys born in former French colonies
Well each to their own. You will always get people who support a team for success, and others for pride in the meaning behind the jersey.

It is just my opinion, and perhaps I am in the minority, but for me international sport should be played by people who dreamt of wearing the colours of their country, and not the country who offers the best package.

I have had the privilege of representing my country in athletics, and it was massive for me.

The only reason I would compete for another country would be to make a career of it, or if I never made an irish squad.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'd rather a national team that did well playing by the same rules as everyone else than one than used a supposed moral highground as an excuse for moral victories instead of actual victories
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

All Blacks nil wrote:When was the last time Ireland fielded a complete row of non Irish players. Although of Irish extraction, Bent hardly grew up dreaming of playing for Ireland and packing down with fellow imports Strauss and White.

Throw in Payne and Boss and 5 of the Md23 and indeed for a five minute period yesterday five of the Irish 15 were imports
Who cares? Less than there were back in the early '90's. I remember a backline that consisted of only one player born in Ireland. Still supported them.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

You mean everyone's childhood hero Simon Geoghegan wasn't really Irish? Kinda takes the lustre off of THAT tryfor me now. :wink:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

RoboProp wrote:You mean everyone's childhood hero Simon Geoghegan wasn't really Irish? Kinda takes the lustre off of THAT tryfor me now. :wink:
tell your mother to effin cheer that
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:When was the last time Ireland fielded a complete row of non Irish players. Although of Irish extraction, Bent hardly grew up dreaming of playing for Ireland and packing down with fellow imports Strauss and White.

Throw in Payne and Boss and 5 of the Md23 and indeed for a five minute period yesterday five of the Irish 15 were imports
It is highly likely that Ireland has fielded a complete row of Irish players and indeed more than one row in the same team.
Prior to the formation of the Irish Free State, most of the players representing Ireland would have been UK citizens.
Since the formation of the Irish Free State, most of the Ulster players representing Ireland were UK citizens.
To cloud matters somewhat, Irish citizens born in 1948 or before could claim dual Irish and UK citizenship.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:But I think if someone stands there and belts out our National Anthem while wearing our countries jersey, they are Irish
:lol:

Jaysus, we're that easy to jump into bed with, are we? Sing this cr@p outdated song and you're Irish.

I presume this only applies to rugby players? Great system.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

offshorerules wrote:

Who cares? Less than there were back in the early '90's. I remember a backline that consisted of only one player born in Ireland. Still supported them.
I care.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

The sooner we get rid of countries the better
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

munster#1 wrote:I think this issue will become a bit more serious when you have former baby boks captain, cj (motm) stander starting ahead of a whole host of very talented irish born players.

This is a guy who had demonstrated great pride in the SA jersey, and was part of the SA senior training squad just before munster waved a big wad of cash in his face, which was his as long as he agreed to play for Ireland if he is good enough in 3 years.
Pretty much the same thing already happened with Strauss.

Saffer with no Irish roots? Check.
Successful career in RSA but considered too small to play for the Boks? Check.
Plays a position we've never had a shortage of talent? Check.

There wasn't an uproar then and there won't be an uproar if/when Stander is capped.

I don't want us deliberately seeking to lure lads to Ireland for specific positions in the national team. However, the provinces do need lads to fill gaps and if some of them serve their time and end up playing for us so be it. I do think it should take another year or two to qualify though. Three seems a bit short.
We're all red on the inside.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Turning this on it's head.
Players are already being badly abused by countries so restricting them any further is poor form.
Take Isa Nacewa for example he played in some mickey mouse game for FIJI years ago and is locked in for life.
How fair is that? Whatever happened to the Statute of Limitations.
If three years domicile is the qualification period why not a three year statute period for dequalifi
With the rider that a player can only start the qualification process after serving the three year statute dequalification period.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Oldschool wrote:Take Isa Nacewa for example he played in some mickey mouse game for FIJI years ago and is locked in for life.
Isa played for Fiji against Scotland in the 2003 RWC. Hardly a mickey mouse game.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

nc6000 wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Take Isa Nacewa for example he played in some mickey mouse game for FIJI years ago and is locked in for life.
Isa played for Fiji against Scotland in the 2003 RWC. Hardly a mickey mouse game.
against Scotland in a world cup, thats pretty mickey mouse to be fair
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
nc6000 wrote:
It was a game they had a good chance of winning. They only lost by two points.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
nc6000 wrote:
Focus lad on the year 2003 nearly 12 years.
Ignore my lazy research. Ie ignore the unimportant facts and consider the 12 long years. :wink:
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Well Strauss and Joe Schmidt are Irish citizens as of today. Welcome to the club lads
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Munsterboy wrote:
munster#1 wrote:I think this issue will become a bit more serious when you have former baby boks captain, cj (motm) stander starting ahead of a whole host of very talented irish born players.

This is a guy who had demonstrated great pride in the SA jersey, and was part of the SA senior training squad just before munster waved a big wad of cash in his face, which was his as long as he agreed to play for Ireland if he is good enough in 3 years.
Pretty much the same thing already happened with Strauss.

Saffer with no Irish roots? Check.
Successful career in RSA but considered too small to play for the Boks? Check.
Plays a position we've never had a shortage of talent? Check.

There wasn't an uproar then and there won't be an uproar if/when Stander is capped.

I don't want us deliberately seeking to lure lads to Ireland for specific positions in the national team. However, the provinces do need lads to fill gaps and if some of them serve their time and end up playing for us so be it. I do think it should take another year or two to qualify though. Three seems a bit short.
Bet ya there'll be an uproar if he doesn't get capped especially if it's Jamie Heaslip blocking him.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote:Well Strauss and Joe Schmidt are Irish citizens as of today. Welcome to the club lads
More Irish than the Irish themselves. Three Cheers.