31 Man Ireland RWC Squad

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Fireworks
Mullet

Re: 31 Man Ireland RWC Squad

Post by Fireworks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Squad now official. IRFU announcement and RTE confirmation att 8.30 this morning. What a f**k-up!
Slightly overdoing it there I think. These things always leak. In the end does it matter. The players were informed first and after that I do not really care how it comes out. It may be a leak of someone watching the comings and goings from Carton House etc.

Most important thing is the squad is picked and the backups to the squad know they have to stay sharp and ready. The positive for us is that the Pro12 is starting so if any subs need to be flown in they should be match sharp.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Fireworks wrote:[ In the end does it matter.
It matters to sponsors who would have hoped for a big online audience for the heavily branded stream of the announcement and that matters to us because the money they spend to have opportunities like this ultimately finds its way down to our provinces and clubs.
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Golf Man wrote:You kind of have to assume that Trimble is injury related - I could kind of understand the two sh, 6 back 3 selection if it was to include Trimble to give him time. To include who it does really does't seem worth the risk

The prop selection is a biut weird as well => they were obviously going to include Healy all along.It does seem to pt a it too much presure on McGrath. As for White or Furlong covering LH - its hopefully "only" Romania and Canada but dos seem a complete ste into the unknown

Some of the marginal/surprise selections kind of hint that he does't know wois back ups (or possibly starters/sbs) are in certain positons.

Is Madigan or Cave backup 12
Is the back up[ 13 Earls, Cave or Fitz
Thornley threw it out that DK will be overing 15 with Zebo (even though he asn't played there)
Is Furlong or White the backup TH

It kindof suggests that he has left his options wide as a result - meaning that we hjave the risk of only two shs - all very un Schmidt tbh
Yes, I'm sure Joe Schmidt "does't know wois back ups (or possibly starters/sbs) are in certain positons."*

It's a fairly massive leap of logic to assume that just because you don't know who the coach is going to select in certain games, that he doesn't know either.

* That collection of misspellings hurt my brain to read.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If Trimble is not injured thats the only call I would view as a mistake
Jones a lot of people are surprised about but no one too upset
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

They are possibly planing on Furlong or white playing LH v Romania. (with perhaps the other covering th)

That and an extremely good medical report on Healy would explain Bent's non selection.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:
Golf Man wrote:You kind of have to assume that Trimble is injury related - I could kind of understand the two sh, 6 back 3 selection if it was to include Trimble to give him time. To include who it does really does't seem worth the risk

The prop selection is a biut weird as well => they were obviously going to include Healy all along.It does seem to pt a it too much presure on McGrath. As for White or Furlong covering LH - its hopefully "only" Romania and Canada but dos seem a complete ste into the unknown

Some of the marginal/surprise selections kind of hint that he does't know wois back ups (or possibly starters/sbs) are in certain positons.

Thornley threw it out that DK will be overing 15 with Zebo (even though he asn't played there)

It kindof suggests that he has left his options wide as a result - meaning that we hjave the risk of only two shs - all very un Schmidt tbh
Yes, I'm sure Joe Schmidt "does't know wois back ups (or possibly starters/sbs) are in certain positons."*

It's a fairly massive leap of logic to assume that just because you don't know who the coach is going to select in certain games, that he doesn't know either.

Yeah I'd be shocked if Joe hasn't got a very clear idea of what he does in each of those scenarios and would even be fairly sure about most of them myself.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Bit worried about Trimble now. Out for ages with that injury, then it happened again during the 6N and is still giving him problems. Hopefully they just rushed him back slightly to try and make the World Cup and he can take more time to get it right now but it doesn't sound great.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:

The only thing is that if he had picked Boss as a third scrumhalf he would be taking the risk of actually playing him
That is a scary thought. It might be very significant to see who the selected 9's will be for the Provinces over the next few weeks.
Joe will be calling the shots in some instances and his nominated standbys (maybe even two for SH and possibly LH) and they'll all be getting game time.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:

Mobile phones have their limitations.
Some of my best garbage has been produced thus. (Well that's my excuse anyway).
As regard back ups. To some extent you can only go so far into this kind of scenario building.
For example our first choice centres could get injured concurrently but why worry yourself to death about it until it happens.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Furlong is covering both sides of the scrum
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Madigan covering 9 and 10, not 12 anymore.

Trimble, McFadden and Jones on standby
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:Madigan covering 9 and 10, not 12 anymore.

is that official?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:Madigan covering 9 and 10, not 12 anymore.

Doubt that's entirely true because Madigan will surely still be covering 12 off the bench.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Very much doubt there are any circumstances in this World Cup where Furlong will cover LHP. White is the one with that versatility
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

My posts above are from the Ireland press conference, so it's Furlong covering both sides, not White.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Apparently Kilcoyne is with the squad and they'll take a decision on Healy on Thursday as regards the England game. So either Furlong would be skipped by Kilcoyne or be covering LH against England...even for a warm up game that's a scary prospect for a few reasons.

Joe also said that he'd mentioned it to Madigan last season about preparing to cover for 9 if necessary and he's been working on it himself over the last few months. Thornley won't be happy after he was so adamant that he knew the story about that last week.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Very much doubt there are any circumstances in this World Cup where Furlong will cover LHP. White is the one with that versatility
White said in an interview the other day that he's never played loosehead. Mentioned something about there being a rumour out there that he could play both sides but he can't.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Suprised to see Felix out. Thought he was a favourite of Joes. Bad luck for Trimble too. I've been touting "Madigan at 9" for years so glad to see Joe has finally listened to me.
Mads is covering 9,10,12,13,15 and lets face it, 11 and 14 too. He'll be seriously peed off if he don't get no game time.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Joe also said that he'd mentioned it to Madigan last season about preparing to cover for 9 if necessary and he's been working on it himself over the last few months. Thornley won't be happy after he was so adamant that he knew the story about that last week.
But Thornley will probably be happy as he's now able to use the phrase "Petit General" and make the connection between Madigan covering 9/10 and how they typically do things in France.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

nc6000 wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Joe also said that he'd mentioned it to Madigan last season about preparing to cover for 9 if necessary and he's been working on it himself over the last few months. Thornley won't be happy after he was so adamant that he knew the story about that last week.
But Thornley will probably be happy as he's now able to use the phrase "Petit General" and make the connection between Madigan covering 9/10 and how they typically do things in France.
Madigan assuredly brings x-factor to scrumhalf role too