1st choice Ireland team at World Cup

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

1st choice Ireland team at World Cup

Post by simonokeeffe »

RK, Payne, Henshaw, Sexton, Murray, Healy, Best, Ross, POC, POM probably, SOB, Heaslip
Cronin, McGrath, White, Henry, Reddan, Madigan

theyre all set in stone

Both wings and thus outside back sub completely up in the air
Toner and Henderson in a scrap too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: 1st choice Ireland team at World Cup

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote: Toner and Henderson in a scrap too

Not even remotely close. He pretty much played himself off the pitch and onto the bench last weekend. Our lineout, scrum, maul and maul defense were all poor at best, and thats his primary role. Toners absence was palpable against Wales.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I can see a place for 4 2nd rows in a tough game. Henderson at 6 with POM and Ryan on the bench.

Perhaps he won't use it but......
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Not even remotely close. He pretty much played himself off the pitch and onto the bench last weekend. Our lineout, scrum, maul and maul defense were all poor at best, and thats his primary role. Toners absence was palpable against Wales.
It's the job of the row to do all the Hollywood stuff. Running the line-out, scrummaging and mauling is boring Dave. It'll never make a highlight reel
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Lineout and maul were not what we've come to expect as you rightly say. I wonder if POC wasn't skipper would POC hold off Hendo though?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Lineout and maul were not what we've come to expect as you rightly say. I wonder if POC wasn't skipper would POC hold off Hendo though?
The problem on Saturday was that Toulon's Paul O'Connell played like Munster's Paul O'Connell instead of Ireland's Paul O'Connell.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought Toner was poor against Scotland and don't think he was anywhere near as good last season as the one before it. If he plays well on Saturday then I'd probably still work towards starting him against France. If not then I'd seriously consider starting Ryan for that one with Henderson either on the bench or at 6. Barring injury I think Henderson will be a sensation at this World Cup but have no idea what role he'll actually play.

I wouldn't read too much into POM's performance on Saturday but regardless of that I think the lack of a Ruddock type 6 and the emergence of Ryan might see Henderson getting more time at 6 than he would have otherwise had.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I have a suspicion Toner will start, leaves us with some wonderful impact subs

Lineout seemed more down to missed throws, Toner offers zero on opposition ball onlineout
Dont think you can say Toner is a markedly better scrummager than Henderson if at all

Plus you have to give a lot of credit to Bradley Davies playing for Wales ahead of Charteris
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

CH/RB/MR
POC/DT
POM/SOB/JH
CM/JS
RH/JP
SZ/RK/TB

Essentially this years 6N team

Henderson wil have more involvement from the bench which is a good thing, but his big running itself isn't gointo usurp DT I think

Bench of JmG/SC/NW/IH/CH/ER/IM/KE
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Toner, all 6' 10'' and 20 st of him will start in all major games. His impact in line-outs (theirs & ours) is now critical and irreplaceable as is his sheer bulk and long levers in our maul (even defensively). The progress that Easterbunny has made with his ball-carrying and placement is significant also.

When we play France, a long time from now, we will not be trying to beat up their pack. That will be their objective. We'll be trying to get as much fast possession as necessary to allow our half-backs dictate the game and the scoreboard. In RWC 2015, we are not going to overcome the English, French or South African packs, but we can subdue them. Our games against the Welsh are about the referee on the day and how the breakdown is viewed. The Aussie and Argentinian packs are a worry because they have the capacity to surprise any team in the competition up front. If Cheiks can get their scrum and maul right, Aussies will be a big threat because of their back-line options.

One of the biggest surprises might come from the Fijians. Former Aussie flanker George Smith gave a good interview in French media a few days back where he clearly predicted that Aus and Fiji will come out of the Group of Death Pool. The Fiji defeat of Samoa suggest that they are getting something right.

One of the biggest factors why we might get some surprises like this, is that the "lesser" Nations have all been getting quality games for the past 12 months, not just in the last six weeks and the improvement will be marked.

For us, we must not take Canada or Romania for granted. Play them like 6N opponents and go for the jugular in the last quarter and put points on the Board
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Golf Man wrote: CH/RB/MR
POC/DT
POM/SOB/JH
CM/JS
RH/JP
SZ/RK/TB
Pretty much picks itself really. However I think McGraths form has been excellent. I dont think Healy has enough time to take that jersey back so I reckin he'll be coming off the bench. Its pretty tight between Ryan and Toner and also between Henderson and POM, but Joe will stick with what he has done in the past. Henderson on the Bench and Ryan in reserve.

The two wing slots are wide open. I'm not so sure Tommy is guaranteed to start though I'd pencil him in. I'm pretty sure Dave Kearney will start if he keeps playing as he is and Joe loves Luke. It'll be the most hotly contested area of the pitch in the next three games.

So I'd go with
JMcG/RB/MR
POC/DT
POM/SOB/JH
CM/JS
RH/JP
DK/RK/TB
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: One of the biggest surprises might come from the Fijians. Former Aussie flanker George Smith gave a good interview in French media a few days back where he clearly predicted that Aus and Fiji will come out of the Group of Death Pool. The Fiji defeat of Samoa suggest that they are getting something right.
What odds would you get on neither England or Wales to get out of the group?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:I have a suspicion Toner will start, leaves us with some wonderful impact subs

Lineout seemed more down to missed throws, Toner offers zero on opposition ball onlineout
Dont think you can say Toner is a markedly better scrummager than Henderson if at all

Plus you have to give a lot of credit to Bradley Davies playing for Wales ahead of Charteris
b*%&!x Sok, no player is getting as high in the air as the lad toner is lifting. [Insert punctuation where necessary]
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Logorrhea wrote:
Golf Man wrote: CH/RB/MR
POC/DT
POM/SOB/JH
CM/JS
RH/JP
SZ/RK/TB
Pretty much picks itself really. However I think McGraths form has been excellent. I dont think Healy has enough time to take that jersey back so I reckin he'll be coming off the bench. Its pretty tight between Ryan and Toner and also between Henderson and POM, but Joe will stick with what he has done in the past. Henderson on the Bench and Ryan in reserve.

The two wing slots are wide open. I'm not so sure Tommy is guaranteed to start though I'd pencil him in. I'm pretty sure Dave Kearney will start if he keeps playing as he is and Joe loves Luke. It'll be the most hotly contested area of the pitch in the next three games.

So I'd go with
JMcG/RB/MR
POC/DT
POM/SOB/JH
CM/JS
RH/JP
DK/RK/TB
McGrath could well start and no issues if he does - possibly leaves us a little short of carriers in the 15 with Cronin, Henderson and Healy on the bench. Persopnally I don't think the Ryan/Toner or Henderson/POM debates are tight - Toner and POM have been absolutely cornerstones of Schmidts team for h last two year - absolutely vital cogs in the whole forward machine and I don't see that this will change at all. Henderson offers a huge amount but in the technical areas that the likes of POM ad Toner excel in - probably the weakest part of his game. Hopefully what we will see is Henderson introduced earlier in games - ie getting 25-30 mins rather than 10-15 - there is an argument for Ryan and Henderson on the bench (not one I'd be making though)

Id probably agree that Zebo and DK are in a battle for one wing spot with Bwe on the other - personally Id go Zebo all day long (obv gives fb cover as well) Earls v Fitz for 23 - personally I'd go with Earls, bt Schmidt probably will go with Fitz (and probably DK over Zebo as well)
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

nc6000 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote: One of the biggest surprises might come from the Fijians. Former Aussie flanker George Smith gave a good interview in French media a few days back where he clearly predicted that Aus and Fiji will come out of the Group of Death Pool. The Fiji defeat of Samoa suggest that they are getting something right.
I've been wondering what shock results could happen, and one that came into my head was what if Argentina beat NZ? It's their opening game of the tournament, and they have a good pack that have given them a hard time in the scrum previously. Wayne Barnes is the ref. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, even though it's obviously not likely.

It would make our approach to the France game very interesting though...
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

nc6000 wrote:
I've been wondering what shock results could happen, and one that came into my head was what if Argentina beat NZ? It's their opening game of the tournament, and they have a good pack that have given them a hard time in the scrum previously. Wayne Barnes is the ref. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, even though it's obviously not likely.

It would make our approach to the France game very interesting though...
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:I have a suspicion Toner will start, leaves us with some wonderful impact subs

b*%&!x Sok, no player is getting as high in the air as the lad toner is lifting. [Insert punctuation where necessary]
how often is he used as a defensive lifter?
Also if youre being cynical its extremely rare Ireland maul off a throw to anyone else bar Toner

Not sure if Bowe and DK would/could start together, arent they both right wingers?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

simonokeeffe wrote:Not sure if Bowe and DK would/could start together, arent they both right wingers?
Good point and I'm not actually sure. However I read (or heard) an interview with Dave where he said he didn't care what wing he played on. He said some players prefer to pick a side but it made little difference to him. I know hes played in both positions.

Tommy though, seems to only play with 14.

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's funny how you can see one photo of someone and it makes you hate them.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Can't remember who said it but someone (maybe Shaggy?) was saying that the role of the winger has changed a lot and so it doesn't matter which one you're on as much as it used to and that teams don't go for the big man at 14 and quick man at 11 combo anymore.