ITV interest in Ireland fans

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ahannah1

ITV interest in Ireland fans

Post by ahannah1 »

Hi,

I'm currently working on ITV's planning for the Rugby World Cup. We're looking at filming a news piece for the opening Saturday when Ireland face Canada, based on the Irish following that has descended upon Cardiff. If you would be able to put a feeler out on your forum asking for any groups of fans that will be present on the game, or the fanzone to get in touch!

Feel free to drop me an email on alexander_hannah@outlook.com

Kind Regards,

Alex Hannah
ITV Planning
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: ITV interest in Ireland fans

Post by curates_egg »

ahannah1 wrote:Hi,

I'm currently working on ITV's planning for the Rugby World Cup. We're looking at filming a news piece for the opening Saturday when Ireland face Canada, based on the Irish following that has descended upon Cardiff. If you would be able to put a feeler out on your forum asking for any groups of fans that will be present on the game, or the fanzone to get in touch!

Feel free to drop me an email on alexander_hannah@outlook.com

Kind Regards,

Alex Hannah
ITV Planning
Hi Hannah
I won't be at the Canada game but I have tickets for the two quarter finals in Cardiff and would be more than happy to talk about that.
In particular, I would like to focus on the hospitality being offered by the city to rugby fans.
I could discuss the fact that the cheapest remaining hotel room is over 2000 euro. Or the fact that the cheapest offer on airbnb is some guy, renting a 4 foot long leather sofa in his living room for over 160 euro, with the next nearest offer more than double that.
As it stands, I am not sure I will be able to attend the games for which I have tickets due to this situation.
I would be happy to talk to you about that. I would love the opportunity to publicly ask the city of Cardiff if this is the image it wants to project to the world.
If this is the type of background interview you are angling after, let me know and I will email you.
Egg
ahannah1

Post by ahannah1 »

Thanks for your reply Egg. It's much appreciated. Unfortunately we're looking for fans who will be present at the ground or fan park on the opening weekend as we want begin building up to Ireland's opening fixture. Sorry to hear about the predicament you're in , in terms of accommodation for the quarter finals and I hope you find something soon so you can get over for the game!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I appreciate this is probably a silly question but did you look a little further afield for accommodation? Airbnb have some lovely properties in Bristol and Bath for a fraction of the coats you mentioned.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I did but the Saturday quarter final is a late kick off and the last train is at 11.
If the game is delayed or ends in a draw after 80 minutes, you would be looking at a pretty steep taxi ride.
I may have to book that anyway but I'd rather exhaust all other options first.
Either way, reflects very poorly on Cardiff.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

curates_egg wrote:I did but the Saturday quarter final is a late kick off and the last train is at 11.
If the game is delayed or ends in a draw after 80 minutes, you would be looking at a pretty steep taxi ride.
If it was nearly anywhere else other than Cardiff I would suggest forgetting about accommodation and just go with a view of finding something or just having an all night party. As it is Cardiff you might want to skip that one. My only useful thought is that you might try one of the welsh rugby boards and see if anyone there can help.

It is ridiculous that they are raising the prices so much but unfortunately that is how the world works now. 160 for a coach is really taking the you know what.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

curates_egg wrote:I did but the Saturday quarter final is a late kick off and the last train is at 11.
Ah okay sorry - wasn't thinking about getting a train. Because I don't drink I always just assume people will have access to a car.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

curates_egg wrote:
Hi Hannah
I won't be at the Canada game but I have tickets for the two quarter finals in Cardiff and would be more than happy to talk about that.
In particular, I would like to focus on the hospitality being offered by the city to rugby fans.
I could discuss the fact that the cheapest remaining hotel room is over 2000 euro. Or the fact that the cheapest offer on airbnb is some guy, renting a 4 foot long leather sofa in his living room for over 160 euro, with the next nearest offer more than double that.
As it stands, I am not sure I will be able to attend the games for which I have tickets due to this situation.
I would be happy to talk to you about that. I would love the opportunity to publicly ask the city of Cardiff if this is the image it wants to project to the world.
If this is the type of background interview you are angling after, let me know and I will email you.
Egg
2k a night is the worlds way of protecting you from Cardiff
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

olaf the fat wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Hi Hannah
Egg
Ho ho. Or Cardiff from me?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Would be very interested in knowing when you tried to book your accommodation, coz a few friends of mine are going over, and a few from my club, and they all managed to find accommodation with little fuss.

Cardiff is the most welcoming capital city for rugby in Europe. The people are great, and the design of the city makes it ideal for such an event.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Taxi shared between a few is fine, but you're absolutely correct in your general point. Accommodation costs are insulting and a bad reflection of the city.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

munster#1 wrote:Would be very interested in knowing when you tried to book your accommodation, coz a few friends of mine are going over, and a few from my club, and they all managed to find accommodation with little fuss.

Cardiff is the most welcoming capital city for rugby in Europe. The people are great, and the design of the city makes it ideal for such an event.
I booked in December last year for the QF weekend and there was effectively zilch available in Cardiff, unless you count one bed in a girls' dormitory in a youth hostel, or the Holiday Inn for 700 euro a night (I'm not making either of those up). So fair play to your friends for finding somewhere easily in a city that's renowned for not having enough hotel rooms for these occasions. When and where did they do it? If they have contacts then fair enough.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

munster#1 wrote:Would be very interested in knowing when you tried to book your accommodation, coz a few friends of mine are going over, and a few from my club, and they all managed to find accommodation with little fuss.

To be honest, i think the design of the place makes terrible for such an event. There really is nothing like the required level of hotel space to facilitate major finals. When I've been to games I always stay outside, as many said you can find stuff easy enough within a short train or car ride - though that does kill the post match buzz a bit!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

munster#1 wrote:the design of the city makes it ideal for such an event.
Cardiff and its metropolitan area has circa 5k hotel rooms - that is simply not enough for a metropolitan area that size with aspirations of being an international city.
I have Bumbleflex
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Cardiff and its metropolitan area has circa 5k hotel rooms - that is simply not enough for a metropolitan area that size with aspirations of being an international city.
It is not an international city. It has a population of about 330k and the facilities to match. The Millennium stadium attracts huge numbers that the city cannot cope with.

Last suggestion for accommodation is rent a camper van.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

olaf the fat wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Hi Hannah
Egg
+100

Tried various optons over the years and there isn't a good one

The stadium is the best. But after that it's a kip - and a dangerous one at that. Take the 2 grand and spend it on an evacuation plan. Easy to book one of the taxis to get you to Bristol (or anywhere)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Fireworks wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
It is not an international city. It has a population of about 330k and the facilities to match. The Millennium stadium attracts huge numbers that the city cannot cope with.
It has aspirations to be one, but the hotel room issue is a major problem for them.
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Probably Dublin, actually. Much nicer city, venue in very walkable distance from the city centre, stadium not as good but still well above average, population are Irish rather than Welsh ....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:population are Irish rather than Welsh ....
:lol: