Time to move on to the main event - have to go first choice for this

McGrath/Best/Ross
Henderson/POC
POM/SOB/Heaslip
Murray/Sexton
Henshaw/Payne
D Kearney/R Kearney/T Bowe

Cronin/Healy/White/Ryan/Henry/Reddan/Madigan/Earls

Chance for Henderson to grab the 4 jersey, last chance for Bowe, Hoping for Healy
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland V Canada, 19/9/15

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Toner will definitely partner POC. Strong chance Henry in back-row to start as we must control pace of game. Bowe will start in Canada and Romania in effort to see do games get back his mojo.

Would not be surprised if McGrath and Healy share LHP role 50/50 as Healy rumoured to do some time with Leinster at weekend.

Murray may be benched so that he avoids being targeted by Cudmore et al
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Again not sure you can say that Toner will definitely partner POC - e may get another chance but I wouldn't be surprised to see Henderson given the chance

Can't see Henry starting tbh - I presume that you would drop POM and move SOB - don't see Schmidt doing that - wouldn't be averse to it mind

Bowe I think will get Canada and then see - if he doesn't produce there will probably be a need for whoever is possibly going to start in his place to get game time v Romania

Murray - needs gametime so think he has to start if fit
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Golf Man wrote:Again not sure you can say that Toner will definitely partner POC - e may get another chance but I wouldn't be surprised to see Henderson given the chance

Can't see Henry starting tbh - I presume that you would drop POM and move SOB - don't see Schmidt doing that - wouldn't be averse to it mind

Bowe I think will get Canada and then see - if he doesn't produce there will probably be a need for whoever is possibly going to start in his place to get game time v Romania

Murray - needs gametime so think he has to start if fit
We are talking about Canada so there is going to be very little arguement about who starts where. The only issue is balance and making sure the guys who need it get game time. Unless something major happens Toner and POC will be our big game row but Henderson of Ryan will appear in the first two games.

Henry would be a good guy to start in these games with a view to keeping the pace high and burning them off quickly.

This is a game for the backups and the guys who need time.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Henderson was packing down beside POC in training today. Great to see Healy come through a full session too. Couple of pictures I snapped:
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I don't know if I would use the first XV for this one. Maybe about 7 of the first XV with a strong bench.
So I'd probably go
1. McGrath (with an eye towards giving Healy a half)
2. Strauss
3. Furlong
4. Ryan
5. Toner
6. Murphy
7. Henry
8.Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Madigan
11. Earls
12. Cave
13. Luke
14. Bowe
15. Zebo
More than enough there to put away the Canucks. That was the mistake EOS made in 07 he played the same guys all the games and sh1t got stagnant quick.
Keep the first XV for the big guns. Put it this way if Oz or NZ were playing Canada would they put out their strongest team? Pardon the coarseness but, they would in their hoop
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Don't use first xv unless they badly need gametime. These are the games that the squad is for.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

I completely get the logic of using the squad over the first two games - the only problem with that is that if you take that approach (ie half the starters in each game) you go into the Italy game on 4th October without the first choice having layed together in month - there is an element of risk in that as well - Murray/Sexton, and Henshaw/Payne in particular have essentially only 80 minutes with each other since the 6N - I think they could do with more time as a unit.

Pack in fairness is probably flexible enough for anyone to come in - POM and SOB could probably do with game time, neither having been hugely impressive and maybe give Heaslip the game off. Ross - decide if he is playing v Canada or Romania - surely won't feature in both. est and Cronin need game time (Strauss has got a lot in the warm ups). R Kearney certainly needs game time

I had kind of assumed that the plan may have been broadly to have starters v Canada 2nd team v Romania - whatever way everyone will be involved in the first two games - don't like the idea of anyone coming into the Italy match cold (you'd p[robaby make an exception for Healy on the bench)

With that in mind maybe

McGrath/Best/White
Henderson/Toner
POM/Henry/Murphy
Murray/Sexton
Henshaw/Payne
Zebo/R Kearney/Earls

Healy/Cronin/Furlong/POC/SOB/Madigan/Jackson/Fitzgerald
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Golf Man wrote:I completely get the logic of using the squad over the first two games - the only problem with that is that if you take that approach (ie half the starters in each game) you go into the Italy game on 4th October without the first choice having layed together in month - there is an element of risk in that as well - Murray/Sexton, and Henshaw/Payne in particular have essentially only 80 minutes with each other since the 6N - I think they could do with more time as a unit.

Pack in fairness is probably flexible enough for anyone to come in - POM and SOB could probably do with game time, neither having been hugely impressive and maybe give Heaslip the game off. Ross - decide if he is playing v Canada or Romania - surely won't feature in both. est and Cronin need game time (Strauss has got a lot in the warm ups). R Kearney certainly needs game time

I had kind of assumed that the plan may have been broadly to have starters v Canada 2nd team v Romania - whatever way everyone will be involved in the first two games - don't like the idea of anyone coming into the Italy match cold (you'd p[robaby make an exception for Healy on the bench)

With that in mind maybe

McGrath/Best/White
Henderson/Toner
POM/Henry/Murphy
Murray/Sexton
Henshaw/Payne
Zebo/R Kearney/Earls

Healy/Cronin/Furlong/POC/SOB/Madigan/Jackson/Fitzgerald
I like the look of that team, but I'd have Ryan/O'Connell start. It's the potential combination we haven't seen yet. Also, it feels right for your captain to start the first game. Not required obviously.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Golf Man wrote:I completely get the logic of using the squad over the first two games - the only problem with that is that if you take that approach (ie half the starters in each game) you go into the Italy game on 4th October without the first choice having layed together in month - there is an element of risk in that as well - Murray/Sexton, and Henshaw/Payne in particular have essentially only 80 minutes with each other since the 6N - I think they could do with more time as a unit.
Historically JS doesn't have a clear 1st and 2nd team. I would think it is more likely that about 5 of the 15 starting against Canada aren't slated to start against France and likewise against Romania. Think he'll rotate a bit but wouldn't assume the starting team is the one planned for the alst two games. Look at how he rotated front rows and 9's in particular at Leinster. Certainly wasn't a first and second choice - moer of a squad approach.

He can also select based on the specific opposition - especially in some key positions and where he sees a potential weakness.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

The Doc wrote:
Historically JS doesn't have a clear 1st and 2nd team. I would think it is more likely that about 5 of the 15 starting against Canada aren't slated to start against France and likewise against Romania. Think he'll rotate a bit but wouldn't assume the starting team is the one planned for the alst two games. Look at how he rotated front rows and 9's in particular at Leinster. Certainly wasn't a first and second choice - moer of a squad approach.

He can also select based on the specific opposition - especially in some key positions and where he sees a potential weakness.
He rotated a bit at Leinster (particularlt scrum halves) not sure there was that much in the front row

But that's 2 years ago - for Ireland he has essentially had 10 competition games

In 2014 we had 12 players who started all 5 games, and 3 who started 4 games - the only non injury related decision was Darcy coming in for Marshall after the first game
In 2015 we had 11 players who started all 5 games and 3 who started 4 games - the only non inury related decision was Fitz for Zebo for the last game
The two big 2014 AIs (SA Aus) was the same team as the 2015 6N with a couple of injury related absences
None of this points to any rotation of note when it matters

Essentially, when it mattered
Ross, Best, Toner, POC, POM, SOB, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Henshaw, Payne, Bowe, R Kearney have been picked to start.
Healy/McGrath have shared starts/bench over the 2 years but that's probably primarily down to Healys injuries. Due to injuries there have been different options on the other wing

He may well rotate the squad and have 6/7 definite starters in each of the Romania and Canda games but I reckon right now if people were asked to name our starting team v Italy most people would probably have 12-14 of the same names, and if you were to consider what Scmidt will pick (rather than what you would pick yourself then the variables would narrow even more

Impossible to know what he will do to be honest. We had the same sequence in 2007, with the "easier" games first - EOS wet first choice in the first game I tink intending to change for the second, but then picked them all again v Georgia, because he felt they weren't ready. That won't be repeated.

If he does go first choice ie pretty much the guys I've mentiodn above v Canada then I think he will go completely second choice in the Romania game. Hindsight is great but there is risk in all approaches - I think the combinations and individuals who need gametime together will start and then the second choice guys will fill in from there
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:Time to move on to the main event - have to go first choice for this

McGrath/Best/Ross
Henderson/POC
POM/SOB/Heaslip
Murray/Sexton
Henshaw/Payne

Chance for Henderson to grab the 4 jersey, last chance for Bowe, Hoping for Healy
I'd start Furlong at LH with McGrath on the bench.
Until Healy actually plays in a game and is ok afterwards we need to mind Jack McGrath.
As an aside and based on scrummaging ability only (With France and Argentina hopefully in mind) I'd bring Cronin instead of killer.
I think Henderson needs the game time in the SR but I wouldn't leave POC on too long (Say 50 mins) we don't want him getting broke either.
Maybe Jackson instead of Reddan with the idea of giving Madigan 20mins at SH. A gamble yes but a bigger gamble for him to not get some game time.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Oldschool wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Time to move on to the main event - have to go first choice for this

McGrath/Best/Ross
Henderson/POC
POM/SOB/Heaslip
Murray/Sexton
Henshaw/Payne

I'd start Furlong at LH with McGrath on the bench.
Until Healy actually plays in a game and is ok afterwards we need to mind Jack McGrath.
As an aside and based on scrummaging ability only (With France and Argentina hopefully in mind) I'd bring Cronin instead of killer.
I think Henderson needs the game time in the SR but I wouldn't leave POC on too long (Say 50 mins) we don't want him getting broke either.
Maybe Jackson instead of Reddan with the idea of giving Madigan 20mins at SH. A gamble yes but a bigger gamble for him to not get some game time.
I've changed my team

agree on McGrath - but you have to protect Ross as well and having front ine guys start v Romania doesn't give them long to recover if they pick up a knock

Maybe Healy/Furlong, White/Ross v Canada and Healy/McGrath, White/Furlong v Romania

agree on Madigan as well - sure he can practice in training but really would hate for his first involvement at sh to come v France
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Would like to see something like:

McGrath / Best / Ross - Ross and Best need games. Ross because hes better when playing regularly, Best because he's not sharp enough yet. McGrath because we will probably have Healy on the bench which is a risk in itself.
Toner / Ryan - POC looks fit and ready, Toner needs games, Ryan looked good so far.
POM / Henderson / Murphy - POM needs the game

Murray / Sexton - Both need to find form

Henshaw / Payne - Need form
Earls / Kearney / Kearney - They are the form players so should help those around them play better
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ribs wrote:Don't use first xv unless they badly need gametime. These are the games that the squad is for.
then theyd have played no rugby between the England and Italy games, Romania is the game for 2nd XV
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

simonokeeffe wrote:
ribs wrote:Don't use first xv unless they badly need gametime. These are the games that the squad is for.
then theyd have played no rugby between the England and Italy games, Romania is the game for 2nd XV
With only 31 in the squad, half of them would be on the bench anyway. That's the best way to avoid burnout and rescue the team if disaster needs averting
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

ribs wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
With only 31 in the squad, half of them would be on the bench anyway. That's the best way to avoid burnout and rescue the team if disaster needs averting
I don't think there is any merit in keeping players out of the first two games. Would you really want to see us v Italy with

Best, Ross,POC, Heaslip, SOB, Sexton Henshaw and Payne not having played in a month?

I think everyone should figure in the first two games. Schmidt has spoken before of grouping games from a preparation point of view. Its clear v Italy and France that we have to go first choice 15 - we probably know 13 of those now - those guys need to ne managed individually for the first two games - maybe the answer is that they don't play ay part but I'd be amazed in they don't
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Let's be honest Italy will be little in way of a challenge especially without Parisse. I expect the first XV to make their first appearance here
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

RoboProp wrote:Let's be honest Italy will be little in way of a challenge especially without Parisse. I expect the first XV to make their first appearance here
or with him
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon