Devin Toner

Re: Ireland V Canada, 19/9/15

Post by Donny B. »

So many stupid kicks from the backs in this half. Keep it in f%~king hand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Donny B. wrote:So many stupid kicks from the backs in this half. Keep it in f%~king hand
Dumb kick by Payne. Dumb dumb dumb.
Anyone But New Zealand
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Payne caps a very very ordinary performance.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:He was coming from an offside position. He ran past the Canadians from their side and played the ball. Madness from a player of his stature
It wasn't that he ran past the Canadians, as long as you start from an onside position you can run the length of the field and dance around the 22 if you like, but then when there's a ruck you're offside and have to get back. Problem was just that the ref thought he was strayed offside initially before the ball was kicked out of the ruck, hard to see from the replay but it looked okay to me.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

FLIP wrote:
Donny B. wrote:So many stupid kicks from the backs in this half. Keep it in f%~king hand
Dumb kick by Payne. Dumb dumb dumb.
We finally paid the price for those dense kicks.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Lovely from Earls, he'd have messed that up a few years ago.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

50 points. Nice from madser . Great vision from earls in the previous try to see Kearney in space and find him with the pass.

Rusty looking team in general. Lucky we have 2 warm up games in the pool
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
johng wrote:He was coming from an offside position. He ran past the Canadians from their side and played the ball. Madness from a player of his stature
It wasn't that he ran past the Canadians, as long as you start from an onside position you can run the length of the field and dance around the 22 if you like, but then when there's a ruck you're offside and have to get back. Problem was just that the ref thought he was strayed offside initially before the ball was kicked out of the ruck, hard to see from the replay but it looked okay to me.
The problem with that is why was no advantage given at the beginning of the play if it was noticed that POC was offside? Maybe it was thought that POC was coming back into the line from a previous play but that still shows some serious failings in refereeing.
Anyone But New Zealand
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

For me the motm was Henderson. He put in a very well rounded display, and looks like he has made the jersey his own.

The biggest disappointment for me is Payne. He has never looked like an international center for me, and we have seen players dropped for less.
At this stage we seem stuck with Payne, and this may come back to haunt us in the knock out stages.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

munster#1 wrote:For me the motm was Henderson. He put in a very well rounded display, and looks like he has made the jersey his own.

The biggest disappointment for me is Payne. He has never looked like an international center for me, and we have seen players dropped for less.
At this stage we seem stuck with Payne, and this may come back to haunt us in the knock out stages.
Luke Henderson v Romania?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Madigan's forward pass to Payne beats the spread

Sexton got MoM, presumably Dennis O'Brien awarded it, cant think of any other reason for Henderson not to get it. No one in 3/4 line sparkled
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

What's the issue with Payne?

He's a top notch defender (which is likely why he's nailed on) and bar a silly error played well. Nice support line for his try too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Obviously Canada aren't great but thought we looked far slicker than the last couple of weeks. Lovely variety and much better alignment.

The guys who looked particularly rusty in the last couple of games (Best, POC, POM, Sexton) all looked much better.

Thought Luke played really well. Madigan and Cronin really good off the bench.

All in all there's not much to criticise. A bit too much kicking but to me it almost felt like we were just trying to just find ways of not running around them because it was too easy, Payne's intercepted kick being a prime example. Discipline might not have been great but I thought we were harshly done by. Seemingly no injuries which is another big plus.

Surprised Healy only got 20 mins, disagree with Toland about him looking off the pace but I guess the fact that he only got 20 mins shows that he's still quite a way to go in terms of fitness.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

neilinboston wrote:
munster#1 wrote:For me the motm was Henderson. He put in a very well rounded display, and looks like he has made the jersey his own.

Well if pom can play wing in the 6 nations, then I can't see why henderson can't play center in a rwc
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote:What's the issue with Payne?

He's a top notch defender (which is likely why he's nailed on) and bar a silly error played well. Nice support line for his try too.
Do you believe that you can win this world cup with payne playing the way he is playing?

He is solid in defense, but against such a limited team he really should have displayed more creativity that he did today.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

munster#1 wrote:

Do you believe that you can win this world cup with payne playing the way he is playing?

He is solid in defense, but against such a limited team he really should have displayed more creativity that he did today.
So, move Luke to 13 and Henshaw back to IC. I agree
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Was wondering that myself, thought he had a good game apart from the chip. Picked a few sensational lines and was very hungry for work on both sides of the ball. You can't underestimate how important it was to the rest of the team that he set targets so well for us.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

munster#1 wrote:
neilinboston wrote:

Well if pom can play wing in the 6 nations, then I can't see why henderson can't play center in a rwc
It'd mean nobody gets their knickers in a twist about toner or pom being dropped.
Obviously I meant henshaw
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I knew what you meant neil. I was just taking the pi55
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

RoboProp wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

So, move Luke to 13 and Henshaw back to IC. I agree
Not a bad idea, but doubt joe will do it.