RWC15 England vs Fiji

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: RWC15 England vs Fiji

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't think they can complain about the TMO tbh. It's annoying as a spectator but they've been idiots and committed some dangerous fouls, I think it's great that things like the knock on for the near try can be called back.

Fiji have been really poor in all the aspects that we expect them to be great, and surprisingly okay in the ones we don't. Pity they didn't just take the 3 points before HT, think England would have started to panic if they were only a score ahead.

England haven't controlled this like I expected. Not an issue today but they should be more than capable of dominating the game more and will need to do so later on in the tournament.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Also consider than TMO is one-eyed and Tolan talking rubbish about Marler superiority in scrum. He is clearly driving across on THP and Should be penalised. Fiji line-out is impressive and England are depending on Maul, whichcontributed the first (illegal) try
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

It's all well and good but a trip is dangerous play too, and the ref should not be changing his calls based on what he sees on a replay chosen by the host nations broadcasters. Only the TMO should make that call.
Anyone But New Zealand
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

mauler72 wrote:TV3 commentator is brutal, first rugby game by the sounds of it. Off to ITV
TV3 must be real bad if it is worse than ITV
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Flipping a player over by the neck should have been a red.
Anyone But New Zealand
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

FLIP wrote:It's all well and good but a trip is dangerous play too, and the ref should not be changing his calls based on what he sees on a replay chosen by the host nations broadcasters. Only the TMO should make that call.
That's how it works, the ref sees it and can make a call if he wants to, not sure why there's an issue.

As much as I've no problem with going back and penalising Fiji, I think they've been far too lenient on England. Barritt and Wood lucky not to be carded IMO, think Fiji would have if it was the other way around.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The Vunipola subs could go either way. Mako is a poor scrummager and Billy doesn't have great hands at times, so a nervy performance in the wet may not be the best time for him to come in.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think the ref maybe has looked upstairs a bit much, but the TMO is intervening himself anyway, and they have been the foul play elements. They all have been foul play and I don't think they have been silly as can often happen when you watching slo mo. Couple of penalties that can go as cards on other days.

Though the unrepeated angle looked like a trip. I particularly liked how he ignored Makawala flapping his arms at the beginning and called him over at the next break in play. I'm kind of sick of players reffing.

I am a bit worried that Marlers scrummaging is perceived as fine, taken in tandem with how Wales got away with a dreadful scrum against us the solidity of our scrum platform is going to be eroded in the free for all. Or maybe I'm over thinking.

I really hope Fiji don't end up too much the plucky underdog.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

England coughing up a fair amount at the breakdown.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I do think he wants to stop England refusing to hand over the ball when they give away penalties.

And Fiji need to kick better, killing themselves.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Quality of Fiji tackling is still exceptional. England may win from here with 10 pt advantage but the English illusion is over
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The Vunipola subs could go either way. Mako is a poor scrummager and Billy doesn't have great hands at times, so a nervy performance in the wet may not be the best time for him to come in.
It went the right way for England.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I saw Phil Oakey, from 80s pop sensations the Human League, being interviewed a while back. His head is shaved these days rather than the bias cut Barnet he sported back in the day.

I can't take Mike Brown seriously.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Fiji deserved so much more than Jaco.
Anyone But New Zealand
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Good grief Toland has been unbelievable. 'Cruelness' indeed.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Can't help but think that with the skills of their players, Fiji should have got more out of that game.

Missing vital kicks lost the chance to create scoreboard pressure when England were vulnerable.

Give them Gatland, Cheika or Smith for 12 months and they would match the best in the world
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Hippo wrote:Good grief Toland has been unbelievable. 'Cruelness' indeed.
Well he started off the evening going on about how he loved God save the queen....

It's hard to take him too seriously at this stage.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The Vunipola subs could go either way. Mako is a poor scrummager and Billy doesn't have great hands at times, so a nervy performance in the wet may not be the best time for him to come in.
It went the right way for England.
Very much so. Thought Mako in particular was very good around the field.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Hippo wrote:Good grief Toland has been unbelievable. 'Cruelness' indeed.
Well he started off the evening going on about how he loved God save the queen....

It's hard to take him too seriously at this stage.
Herself scoffed at that, I was like 'ah look he has Stuart Barnes with him he has to be nicey nicey' He went even further downhill from there.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

People in this country really need to get over this ABE thing.
Barnes who wasn't a neutral was far more balanced in his comments than Toland, the alledged neutral.
It was cringe worthy. If I met Barnes I'd be tempted to apologise.
England were using this game as a training stint for a more high tempo game.
They moved the ball too soon and too often.
They didn't use their forward power until the last 15 mins.
The officials handled the game pretty well considering how nervous everyone must have been.
England can beat Wales and Australia but not playing a high tempo game for 80 mins.
Tonight they did not earn the right to move the ball as much as they did.
Against Wales and Australia they'll need to get that balance right.
C'mon England.
At the end of the day we want England to survive long enough to meet us and then we can be the ones to do them. :twisted:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.