Ireland v Romania, 27/9/15

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland v Romania, 27/9/15

Post by Golf Man »

Good start on Saturday time to ,move on to the next game - more of the same performance wise hopefully but a very different team obviously

Healy/Cronin/White
Ryan/Toner
POM/Henry/Murphy
Reddan/Jackson
Henshaw/Cave
Bowe/R Kearney/Zebo

Furlong/Strauss/Ross/Henderson/SOB/Murray/Madigan/Earls

Giving McGrath, Best, POC, Heaslip, Sexton, Payne, Fitz, D Kearney the week off
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland v Romania, 27/9/15

Post by OTT »

Golf Man wrote:Good start on Saturday time to ,move on to the next game - more of the same performance wise hopefully but a very different team obviously

Healy/Cronin/White
Ryan/Toner
POM/Henry/Murphy
Reddan/Jackson
Henshaw/Cave
Bowe/R Kearney/Zebo

Furlong/Strauss/Ross/Henderson/SOB/Murray/Madigan/Earls

Giving McGrath, Best, POC, Heaslip, Sexton, Payne, Fitz, D Kearney the week off

Would be happy with that team (or any team that gets picked, I will leave the exaggerated upset at nothing selections to others).

My team would be:

Front row: same as yours
2nd row: same
Back row: Henderson at 6 the rest the same. Henderson looks like he could play everyday at the minute, POM will likely start versus Italy and France if fit so no need to risk him here.
Half backs: I would probably play Reddan and Madigan but then Jackson would never get a minute so I guess the same as you.
Centres Cave at 12 and Earls 13. No need to risk Henshaw he will come back in versus Italy and Earls to get a run at 13 in an open game and keep his spark going (I think he will probably start on Wing versus Italy if fit)..
Back 3: D. Kearney/Zebo/ Bowe , I think Bowe has probably played his way off the team for Italy match so let him try and find some form here. Kearney is playing great let him have a cut at Romania and Zebo to get another go at fullback where he was decent in the warm ups and give Rob a rest. If Zebo started on wing and D. Kearney at fb no issues with that either.

Very confident whatever selection is picked will have all their work done on Romania, very kind opening two games for us.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Rotate the pack as above.
Let's give Madigan a run at 9 and Jackson at 10 just for the craic and to see a few peoples heads explode.
Henshaw should be given at least half a game.
Bowe needs gametime if he's to be called upon later on.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Selection wshould be much of a much for this game - the bech guys from the weekend and the other 8 who didn't feature will all obviously be in the 23 - can't see anyone not getting any game time. The decision on who doesn't get rested is probably based more on who needs the rest

Only 2 of the 9 second row and back rows can be rested - I'd pck POC and Heaslip -think they have played more than anyone else and obv hugey important. PersonalyI'd keep Henderson in the secod row and not start him at 6 -possible e willget some game time there (or Ryan may)

Keep Sexton out of it - I'd probably have Murray on the bench as a fail safe but maybe only use him if absolutely needed - dealy we see some of Madiganat 9 - if we are well clear then why not

Big game for Healy (I can see him on the bench for all the pool games tbh), Toner (really needs a big big performance or he probably drops out of the 23 for Italy), and Bowe
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Romania have named a full strength team for their opener so looks like we get their scrubbers
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Would love to see Healy start but can't see it. It'll be interesting to see what role Furlong has, if any.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Can't see Furlong not involved - and Healy and White definitely will be as well. Who needs ore protecting - McGrath or Ross - I's suggest McGrath given we have only 2 lh, but if Healy isn' ready to start then I can see McGrath starting - don't think Furlong will start LH
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Furlong is an "in case of emergency" option at LH just as Madigan is at SH. I don't think that either are going to start in that position and I'm not sure they would even get any meaningful time there v Romania.

I don't think that Henderson should be considered for 6 - I just don't think he is at his best there and he has certainly made his case for starting in the second row. I'm basing this rather heavily on seeing him live and thinking he managed to be fairly ineffective at ruck time versus the experts at disruption in Wales. Nor would I consider Ryan for that unless a real emergency arose either (basing kind of heavily on the Pro 12 final where he wasn't great at securing the ball on the deck either). So Ryan and Toner for the row v Romania and playing to see who is on the bench (which may more depend on Schmidt's evaluation of what is needed for each match - see his well remembered home v away teams particularly favouring the biggest lumps he could get for away games in France).
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

I think Romania are targeting Italy in their last match in a big way. They're giving their full tram a crack against the French on Wed and then I think they might rest players against us with a view to going all out against Canada and Italy. Cant blame them as a probable tired, pissed off, eliminated Italian side resting players for the club season ahead is as good an opportunity to pick off a tier 1 side as you're going to get.

With that in mind (and assuming I'm right!) we've got a degree of flexibility in this selection. Pick a 23 that rests the most important guys, gives guys gametime that need it(Healy, Henshaw) and an opportunity for the 'dirt trackers' to show their stuff/find some form with some emergency subs just in case.

Healy
Strauss
White
Toner
Ryan
POM (C)
Henry
Murphy

Reddan
Jackson
Henshaw
Cave
Bowe
Zebo
D Kearney

Cronin, McGrath, Furlong, Henderson, SOB, Murray, Madigan, Earls.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's a joke that we're talking about selection like this. To think Ireland have the full week off and we're still two days away from Romania playing. It's a late game too, won't be over until close to 10. I get that it's an awkward tournament to organise but there must be a fairer way of spreading out the fixtures.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's a joke that we're talking about selection like this. To think Ireland have the full week off and we're still two days away from Romania playing. It's a late game too, won't be over until close to 10. I get that it's an awkward tournament to organise but there must be a fairer way of spreading out the fixtures.
5 pools of 4?

I think we're the only top tier nation that doesnt have one pig of a turnaround, but the tier2 sides mostly getting their tight turnaround against 2 top 10 nations
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Henshaw won't be playing if the report of blood in the scan was correct as that means a tear and that would not heal in a week
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

I'd keep the team pretty close to the starting team from last weekend. Some guys are still a small bit rusty. This is the last warm up, so use it to warm up!

Change out the bench from 40 minutes on, strong bench so performance will be maintained after changes.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

olaf the fat wrote:I'd keep the team pretty close to the starting team from last weekend. Some guys are still a small bit rusty. This is the last warm up, so use it to warm up!

Change out the bench from 40 minutes on, strong bench so performance will be maintained after changes.

Not sure why you would do that - we should hockey Romania no matter the team - the idea of having 5/6 guys who get no game time at all is a really bad one - we should be rying to encourage the others players that there are still spots up or grabs, that they are trusted to perform and obviously give them gametime because there are still places up for grabs in the 23 for Italy and France. Also some of these guys could very easily find themselves in the starting team or 23 as a result of injury - do we wan them going in cold in the big games

All the bench from last week will be involved and alf of the starters have to be. Id prefer the starters from Can on the bench v Romania unless tere are specifc combinations to look at - I doin't think there is to be honest at this stage - maybe ideally the likes of Henshaw Payne would have had the Canada game to tune up but the benefit of playing them both v Romania would be counterbalanced by not giving Payne the week off - he has I think played the last 3 games and will play v ItalyandFrance

I don't think the wings and 23 are nailed on yet and obviously you wat Healy to play well - aside form that you just want the team to play well, win andget no injuries - we are not going to learn a whole lot or be more tuned up for ItayandFrance
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's a joke that we're talking about selection like this. To think Ireland have the full week off and we're still two days away from Romania playing. It's a late game too, won't be over until close to 10. I get that it's an awkward tournament to organise but there must be a fairer way of spreading out the fixtures.
5 pools of 4?

I think we're the only top tier nation that doesnt have one pig of a turnaround, but the tier2 sides mostly getting their tight turnaround against 2 top 10 nations
There are a couple of teams (I think ourselves England and Italy who are playing at min 6 day turnaround and just playing weekends). Everyone else either has a 4 or 5 day turnaround. For the Tier 1 teams its not really an issue as they will always have a minnow in one of those games (ie NZ had Aregentina first up and only have a 4 day turnaround - but its Namibia - no disrespect to the Namibians)

I don't think 5 pools of 4 works - a situation where different numbers of teams come out of different pools always creates in equalities and over dependence on the draw. The balance as it stands is good. You oul dust have games on Fri - Sun and run the pools over 5 weeks (with each team getting 1 week off) but that does draw it out a bit much. I think a bit ore balance to the sort turnaround for the lower ranked teams - Japan (SA ad Sco in 4 days) Fiji (Eng Aus in 5 days) Romania (France and Ireland in 4 days) and Nambiiba (NZ Tonga in 4 days and Georg Arg in 4 days) got the rough end. Maybe manipulate t a little bit more to ensure that minnows have to have 7 days turnaround if facing two tier 1 teams consecutively or something lke that
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Golf Man wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
5 pools of 4?

There are a couple of teams (I think ourselves England and Italy who are playing at min 6 day turnaround and just playing weekends). Everyone else either has a 4 or 5 day turnaround. For the Tier 1 teams its not really an issue as they will always have a minnow in one of those games (ie NZ had Aregentina first up and only have a 4 day turnaround - but its Namibia - no disrespect to the Namibians)

I don't think 5 pools of 4 works - a situation where different numbers of teams come out of different pools always creates in equalities and over dependence on the draw. The balance as it stands is good. You oul dust have games on Fri - Sun and run the pools over 5 weeks (with each team getting 1 week off) but that does draw it out a bit much. I think a bit ore balance to the sort turnaround for the lower ranked teams - Japan (SA ad Sco in 4 days) Fiji (Eng Aus in 5 days) Romania (France and Ireland in 4 days) and Nambiiba (NZ Tonga in 4 days and Georg Arg in 4 days) got the rough end. Maybe manipulate t a little bit more to ensure that minnows have to have 7 days turnaround if facing two tier 1 teams consecutively or something lke that
One curiousity which could even it out a little is there is only one game each Friday in the pool stages, so theres plenty of teams who could get an extra day or two of rest
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Les Kiss said last week that everyone would be getting game time in the pool stages, so if that's true then it reasonably easy to see who will be picked this week
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Golf Man wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
5 pools of 4?

The only change I can think of right now is to bring in a Plate competition somehow. So maybe just two big groups with a few qualifiers going through, and the rest entering the Plate comp. Sounds rubbish but I'd change something and no harm in trying it. It'd mean that you'd avoid having one big fish in a small pool which is pretty hard to get around. The tier two countries have been very competitive so far but I reckon a Plate competition would really help them grow.

Unfortunately we're miles off having any countries joining the elite teams. In fact I'd say we're more at risk of losing some of the established teams than adding to them.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

While the theory of a plate/shield is ok - maybe the 3rd/4th place teams in each group could go into into it (and play the games as double headers with the main qfs, sfs and final) I'm not sure there would be ay huge benefit - its once every 4 years after all

Better ongoing competitions (and defined routes into big competitions) as well as enhanced national leaueswould give tem more benefit. Simple fact is that there will always be a gulf between the top teams and the rest - no difference to other sports really
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I like the plate idea, the problem is then massively increased pressure from player's clubs not to go/it drives down their wages and youd get Wray, Craig, and Boudejail on the warpath over it